Exp
A few years now
To all MH bosses:thumb:

Getting too busy, going mad, can`t cope :cry:

Would you --

Take on less and manage as before-

Encourage more to come in and either --

Employ or use a self employed guy.

Tried employing before and found i was nurse maid with every excuse around for time off with pay:Eeek:

What problems can i expect from a self employed guy .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm self employed and get all my work from one company. I get repeat business because I perform. If you employ a subby you can set your own terms but it is finding a good one that is your problem.

The negative for the client is I'm not available at the drop of a hat and I can pick and choose.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Save yourself heartache and go down the subcontractor route :thumb: I would never employ anyone again --Finding a good one is the hard bit, who will work to your standards :thumb:Even taking on an apprentice has it's drawbacks :Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Subby every time
Get rid easy if no good
Don't have to pay when no work
Provide all their own tools
No holiday pay or mess around with PAYE

As already stated problems are
Sorry I am busy this week can't make it
Trust at first set up
Short timing / fiddling
And once we had theft

Pros and cons from both sides we have 2 subbies and apart from availability its perfect for our set up

terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euro Yacht 180
Exp
Sub contractor every time. Terry works sub contact in off site construction and has never been short of work. Last contract finishes on Friday and then we start our year off.:ROFLMAO:

A good sub contractor in any industry will always be more expensive than a poor one!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The terms with the company I sub to allow me to employ others to achieve the result but I've never done this as I do the work of two men just because that's how I'm made. I do 11 hour days (their terms) at my charge out rate and have stopped working weekends unless he wants to pay a premium.
The advantages to me are I have as long off work as I dictate but unfortunately my wife is tied to holidays.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sub contractors every time.

When I owned my own company I had 25 ish employees, and in 25 years employing I heard every b*****t excuse why they couldn't work you could think of and then some. When I sold out I ended up running the South Wales operation and inherited 600 staff plus 2 unions to handle :Eeek:

The staff I had the least trouble with were the subbies because I had total control over them. The worst were our own lorry drivers, in the end I contracted out all our transport and got rid of our own. Strange thing though some of my drivers bought their own trucks and I gave them work and they were excellent :Eeek: if only they'd worked the same when employed.:Doh:

Subbies the way to go.:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sub contractor every time. Terry works sub contact in off site construction and has never been short of work. Last contract finishes on Friday and then we start our year off.:ROFLMAO:

A good sub contractor in any industry will always be more expensive than a poor one!

True but he'll earn you twice as much as two employees and its so easy to get rid of a poor sub contractor unlike a poor employee.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Sub by every time. All they have is their reputation. No expectation of continued employment if they don't perform.
Wanna guess what I was?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only thing I can think of is subbie only works for you and nobody else the tax man might count them as employed. Could be worth checking out rather then further down the road and a big tax bill. Am sure there ways around it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Only thing I can think of is subbie only works for you and nobody else the tax man might count them as employed. Could be worth checking out rather then further down the road and a big tax bill. Am sure there ways around it.

Yes there are ways and a good accountant will soon sort it out

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I submit invoices fortnightly and get paid by cheque. Being CIS registered the client deducts 20% across the board and my end of year sorts it out, I always get a rebate.
I pay class 2 NI plus 9% on my gross over 7.5k I fund my own holidays. The client wins all round in many respects but I'm not owned.

EDIT naturally my rate is quite higher than being paye employed on industry rates

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Are you earning enough to keep you happy?

If yes then I suggest you don't take on more work than you can do with ease.

In an earlier life I was an (4th divison) act.

The moment I was getting more work than I could easily cope with I just put up my fee.

The staggering thing about people is they so often think the more expensive it is then the better it is!

"That Joner is a bit pricey... he must be good".

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Are you earning enough to keep you happy?

If yes then I suggest you don't take on more work than you can do with ease.

In an earlier life I was an (4th divison) act.

The moment I was getting more work than I could easily cope with I just put up my fee.

The staggering thing about people is they so often think the more expensive it is then the better it is!

"That Joner is a bit pricey... he must be good".

JJ :Cool:

Yes , I do that now, but I can spend all day , while not working on the phone saying no to overpriced jobs:Eeek:

I don`t want to be rich , just happy-- can I be both:Eeek:
I don't need more money just less stress:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How much to respray my X250 front :roflmto:

EDIT bonnet, bumpers and headlight trims only ! all the stone chipped fodder.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The other thing for me is travel.
Last two weeks was Southampton, tomorrow Bristol for three :Doh:

EDIT actually I did a solar fit locally yesterday for Norman who when he gets internet functioning at his new home says he will join the FUN :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
How much to respray my X250 front :roflmto:

EDIT bonnet, bumpers and headlight trims only ! all the stone chipped fodder.
I get this all day, emails, phones hidden away ringing all day , then they just turn up saying the phones are broke:cry:
I just want to work , not talk all day :cry:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I get this all day, emails, phones hidden away ringing all day , then they just turn up saying the phones are broke:cry:
I just want to work , not talk all day :cry:

There are thousands of x250 cabs out there blathered. You should have a stock answer £££££££££££££ if the price is right you can corner the market :Cool:

Sort out a pricing structure and just pay a retired person who is clever to deal with calls and bookings

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Don't discount employed, their are gooduns about, take my brother, been a motor mechanic since the year dot, on time, never has a day off, and works hard, their are others like him, its just finding them. :Sad:

Wife had three shops and 17 employees, absolute nightmare, now got 1 shop and 3 employees. Stay small is my advice, employed or self employed they can all be a nightmare, you book in work and ten minutes before they are due to start, they phone in sick, so instead of doing your clients, your running around phoning theirs.

Ian

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was going to suggest a retired person, or even 2 retired persons job-sharing.

OK for the first however long, it would take some time to set up The System, you would have to be able to tell this person who you do and don't wish to speak to, but they would be able to say eg. I'm sorry, Mr Joner's decision not to quote for your (poxy, inferred by tone of voice LOL) job is final and he has no wish to discuss it further. Good afternoon.

And callers. Do you have an appointment? No? Oh dear. (sigh)

There does have to be a physical separation between reception for callers and workshop for this to work. And if you have a roller shutter door on the workshop, you are going to have to keep it closed except for shunting, aren't you?

Or whatever you want really!

I'd love it, if I wanted a job.

Or you can just be rude, without being rude. Let's put it like this, Sir. Do you have a six figure sum available to pay me to do this job? No? Good - because even that wouldn't be enough to persuade me to take it on. Goodbye.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I have to be honest, people say to us all the time why don't you employ some staff.
In a previous life I was a contracts manager. Would I like to go back to that stress ?
We will never be rich but we earn enough to be comfortable without any hassle.
Small is good for us.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Self employed every time for me
So many reasons I would bore the bejeezers out of readers !

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have tried both over the years. Even taking on YTS school leavers years ago to try and train youngsters to "do the job our way".
We ended up with subbies only but still had problems with other work taking priority over ours and one even taking work from us.
In the end we got rid of all and only took on the work my wife and I could cope with.
My advice is to stay small if you can.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We have tried both over the years. Even taking on YTS school leavers years ago to try and train youngsters to "do the job our way".
We ended up with subbies only but still had problems with other work taking priority over ours and one even taking work from us.
In the end we got rid of all and only took on the work my wife and I could cope with.
My advice is to stay small if you can.

Thanks for the advice guys--interesting to see how other employers found things over the years.

Seems as if employing is a NO , maybe use subbies or even just potter on as i am with no one to worry about except me--- it seems people come to me because i am not a national company.

I am going to have to let the answerphone do more work and only call back the jobs i want:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I was self employed for 8 years and was proberbly the best time I had untill
I was offered a job with one the biggest crane hire company's in the world for a good salary and I took it for the experience I have been there 8 years and don't regret it at all
but as 60 came and went I made a disison to semi retire and go back self employed again working no more than half of the year
So roll on 1st august and that's me done less work more time for what Elaine and I to do what we want
Elaine retired in April took a little part time job till august but even she has had enough and finishes this week end
Let's see what life chucks at us now roll on august 1st

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would also say I would go the subby route. Having employed people before and got lucky with only 2 out of all of them I would now only sub work out not employ.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l work under my own ltd company as a vetnurse and locum all over the country.
Have decided mid july to end july due to various bits as being non work. Then first 2 weeks in july being a bit of a juggle so l decided sod it take the whole of July off. One of the companies l use to get me work threw 5 different jobs at me today as soon as l said things are slow l am taking July off, now l don't know what to do :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back