Off to Berne with Lola our Bernese (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have said since adopting Lola that it would be lovely to take her to Berne, (for those we have not yet met, she is a Bernese Mountain Dog) recent posts reminded me that time races on, she is 6 already so this year we are taking her

Anybody been, any recommendations of things not to miss, things to avoid and anybody else taken a dog? We fancy using trains and buses but not sure if they (dogs) are allowed

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
BUMP

Hello again, it was quite a specific question, not sure if too specific or badly timed post

Got no replies :cry::cry:

Not taken MH to Switzerland, any issues with 5 ton 8m MH?

Any good sites in or near Bern

This is my last try, I will sulk if no replies this time :winky:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK so there must be a gap in the Fun bank of knowledge here

So in October we will go to Bern and while there will report back with a blog to let you all know what goes on, what to do what to avoid

and just how welcome dogs are in the area

:thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Sorry, don't have any experience of motorhoming in Berne.

I did go there on a school trip many years ago and remember the traffic wardens were all very tall prettty young ladies dressed in very smart trouser suits. We enjoyed watching the resident bears making love (to the amusement of many touristy onlookers) and I still have a "teddy" bear that I bought there as a souvenir, with a chain and Berne crest shield round his neck.

Don't suppose that helps though.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry, don't have any experience of motorhoming in Berne.

I did go there on a school trip many years ago and remember the traffic wardens were all very tall prettty young ladies dressed in very smart trouser suits. We enjoyed watching the resident bears making love (to the amusement of many touristy onlookers) and I still have a "teddy" bear that I bought there as a souvenir, with a chain and Berne crest shield round his neck.

Don't suppose that helps though.

It has helped thanks, I don't feel quite so unloved now :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
We were there a month ago with Heidi. Berne is ok but much like any other town. Motorhome parking is a nightmare,however we did find a lovely site next to the river and a park. We would highly recommend the lakes and mountains of the Berner Oberland, views to die for and lovely little towns and villages all with easy parking::bigsmile:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We were there a month ago with Heidi. Berne is ok but much like any other town. Motorhome parking is a nightmare,however we did find a lovely site next to the river and a park. We would highly recommend the lakes and mountains of the Berner Oberland, views to die for and lovely little towns and villages all with easy parking::bigsmile:

I meant to ask you more about your trip when we met you last, didn't realise you had been so recently

Thanks for the info, is this the campsite you used? bet it will be, it closes before we get there

http://www.campingeichholz.ch/

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
2 years ago we did the Bernese Oberland in October,lovely weather too. Try Lauterbrunnen,Gstaad,Grindelwald,Kandersteg,Kleiner Scheindeg,Wengen etc Campsite at Lake Brienz we consider to be the best site ever. Parked 5 feet away from a crystal clear lake.

Attachments

• P1000651.jpg
    P1000651.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 7

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Bern is 60mins away from where we live although it's in the Suisse German speaking side of the country so we don't often venture up there, no one in their right mind other than a Suisse German can understand that language:roflmto:

Lots of Bernese here, they are more or less the standard dog of the nation like a Lab in terms of popularity.

Dogs can travel on public transport but on a lead and with a muzzle, also you'll have to pay.

Highways are wonderful and you'll need a Vignette which is CHF40 upto 3.5t, after that you'll need to pay based on performance see Broken Link Removed

Overall sites are well organized but not cheap, size could be an issue at some so worth checking before hand.

A nice town to visit but 1-2 days would be more than enough, after that you need to get into the Bernese Oberland, (Highlands) and there's lots to go at there with Grindelwald being our favorite, it's where Tolkein got his inspiration from for LOTR scenery and legends.

Let me know if you need any more help or advice

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bern is 60mins away from where we live although it's in the Suisse German speaking side of the country so we don't often venture up there, no one in their right mind other than a Suisse German can understand that language:roflmto:

Lots of Bernese here, they are more or less the standard dog of the nation like a Lab in terms of popularity.

Dogs can travel on public transport but on a lead and with a muzzle, also you'll have to pay.

Highways are wonderful and you'll need a Vignette which is CHF40 upto 3.5t, after that you'll need to pay based on performance see Broken Link Removed

Overall sites are well organized but not cheap, size could be an issue at some so worth checking before hand.

A nice town to visit but 1-2 days would be more than enough, after that you need to get into the Bernese Oberland, (Highlands) and there's lots to go at there with Grindelwald being our favorite, it's where Tolkein got his inspiration from for LOTR scenery and legends.

Let me know if you need any more help or advice

Thanks, for this, we have done Switzerland before but only Geneva, love the french aspect, must admit we drove north and stopped in a more Germanic town and couldn't wait back to Geneva

Meeting and greeting fellow Bernese MD's and their owners is part of the trip, particularly if in Bern, however, not been to Lausanne now fancy coming there and doing Bern en route during the day on our way home, before getting to the next place. It will be October so probably not ideal weather, so 4-5 days will do it for this trip.

The few sites I have looked at to camp are closed by October, going to look for Lausanne area now

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Link Removed

that was easy :thumb:

Vidy is a nice site, I used to work near there and some times went there for lunch. Right next to the lake and lots to do around Lausanne. The M2 (underground/tube) is the best bet for transport and once you arrive in the centre then on foot is good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back