Trenige

Free Member
Jun 15, 2014
Isle of Axholme .
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
After 3 and a half years Dometic are going to repair my fridge freezer, that has been defective from new, I think it has had every part possible replaced but they could not stop the freezer door catch/lock freezing up after 3 days of running. It has been very frustrating, we have only been able to use the fridge part of it, why is it such a battle to get anything fixed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After 3 and a half years Dometic are going to repair my fridge freezer, that has been [HI]defective from new[/HI], I think it has had every part possible replaced but they could not stop the freezer door catch/lock freezing up after 3 days of running. It has been very frustrating, we have only been able to use the fridge part of it[HI], why is it such a battle to get anything fixed.[/HI]

bad that is ..

The real question is why is Dometic post manufacture inspection so sloppy.. . not as if they are cheap ..

I've always thought they were poor value for money.. and not great quality .. but there is no real competition .. so they get away with it ..

OP
OP
Trenige

Trenige

Free Member
Jun 15, 2014
Isle of Axholme .
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well , at least thats a better reply than what I got off the other forum. Asked for advice on there and all I got was , dont put it on the lock position when on the move stick the door shut with gaffer tape. I though forums were to try and help each other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trenige

Trenige

Free Member
Jun 15, 2014
Isle of Axholme .
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would add that the new freezer door has been sent to my home whilst Dometic organise the engineer to come out, maybe that will take another 3 years. They say he is on holiday at the moment.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
There is a button on my fridge freezer, next to the cool setting, that warms the outer edge of the fridge/freezer that the doors close onto, which thaws that edge and allows the doors to open.
You can access it by opening the fridge door. Never had the fridge door freeze shut, but the freezer door did and this "cured" it.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
After 3 and a half years Dometic are going to repair my fridge freezer, that has been defective from new, I think it has had every part possible replaced but they could not stop the freezer door catch/lock freezing up after 3 days of running. It has been very frustrating, we have only been able to use the fridge part of it, why is it such a battle to get anything fixed.

This happened to us in Portugal...the Dometic engineer was going to drill one large hole through my unit and the freezer to get it open from the left hand side,or drill the lock out from the front door....
I went Berserk.......I looked at all his diagrams and realised the two plastic buttons you press under the freezer door,...must come out...so...if you take off the cover then push up a thin piece if wire bent at the top you can pull the plastic plungers down and out, then push a metal rod gently........or blow hot hot air up..to melt the ice...what happens the plastic lock is inside the freezer...and with condensation this fills the lock inside with water that freezers into a SOLID BLOCK of ice totally fills the lock...not allowing the lever to pivot to unlock the freezer.....so what I did was to dismantle the lock...very easy two screws and fill the inside with Vaseline not had a problem since...after i had shown the engineer how to get into the freezer without totally destroying my units and the fridge freezer...he thanked me and said there was no charge...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trenige

Trenige

Free Member
Jun 15, 2014
Isle of Axholme .
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, after three and a half years I now have a fridge freezer that I can fully use. A new freezer door had to be designed, the mechanism of the lock/catch is completely enclosed within the door interior , it has been fitted and hopefully it will be OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back