LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi , we would liike to install a refillable gas system but its all confusing. Gas it or Gaslow, is there much difference.? What would you choose and why? We would hope to have a tank fitted underneath so we can use the gas cupboard for something else. Does anyone know who fits these in Scotland? Thx

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi , we would liike to install a refillable gas system but its all confusing. Gas it or Gaslow, is there much difference.? What would you choose and why? We would hope to have a tank fitted underneath so we can use the gas cupboard for something else. Does anyone know who fits these in Scotland? Thx

My fixed tank and all the bits were supplied by FES Autogas. I asked a local caravan and motorhome service station if they could install it for me. So,you could ask whoever does your habitation service and any other work-after all,they will be 'Gas qualified'
Mike

Upvote 0

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
By all accounts it isn't rocket science and well within reasonable DIY skills. if you can fit on a fresh full cylinder then you are well on the way. You have to make the decision to fit the filler internally or externally.

If you are going underslung then maybe a fitter you can trust would do it .

It is on my wish list and will be doing it myself.

I would be going down the Gas It route as other threads seem pretty sure the kit is identical but Gas It is considerably cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

It's probably worth checking the permissabity of the different systems available with regard to Eurotunnel. Even if you don't expect to use it now, you might in the future and I *think* fixed underfloor tanks are not allowed in the tunnel. I could be wrong of course. ;-)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Gasit and Gaslow use the same refillable bottles and gauges made, I understand, in Portugal. The only physical difference is the colour of the paint!

The practical difference is that Gaslow sell their products mainly through the trade - they are the ones that you will see in all the accessory shops. That means that the price has to include for their mark up plus that of the dealer. Therefore their prices are higher, even if you buy them direct, because they don't want to undermine their dealer base. There is no problem with this if that is where you are most comfortable shopping, and you want the dealer to fit it.

Gasit mainly sell direct and their prices, like for like, are considerably cheaper. I got an 11Kg bottle, plus an in locker filler kit, an adaptor so I could continue to use my existing propane pigtail and three different filler adaptors for use in Europe, all for just under £190. They deliver quickly and are easy to fit, with only one (or in my case 2) connections to make (other than the usual pigtail connection). I ordered at midday and it was delivered by 10am the next day and I had it fitted and ready to go by 1pm the same day.

So up to you really. If you are a reasonably competent DIYer the go for Gasit and save some money. If not and you would prefer to get it fitted then probably Gaslow is better.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's probably worth checking the permissabity of the different systems available with regard to Eurotunnel. Even if you don't expect to use it now, you might in the future and I *think* fixed underfloor tanks are not allowed in the tunnel. I could be wrong of course. ;-)

Yes you are wrong. There are no restrictions on LPG that would affect either gaslow/gasit or underslung tanks. The litre allowance is huge and the only requirement is to prove it is turned off.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes you are wrong. There are no restrictions on LPG that would affect either gaslow/gasit or underslung tanks. The litre allowance is huge and the only requirement is to prove it is turned off.

Cheers Techno, I've probably been looking at old websites. My recollection was that refillable cylinders were okay but fixed underfloor tanks were banned. Either my recollection is wrong or rules have changed.

Tim

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think it is LPG propelled vehicles that are not allowed

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I need my tank refitting or replacing at some point as the company that originally installed it went bust as they were shite. I'm pretty sure when I get around to it that I will employ Chris at Autogas to sort it for me.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Cheers Techno, I've probably been looking at old websites. My recollection was that refillable cylinders were okay but fixed underfloor tanks were banned. Either my recollection is wrong or rules have changed.

Tim

It is just that most underslung tanks are for powering the engine. It is any system capable of powering the engine that is banned.

Not that it matters, ferries are cheaper and more fun. The tunnel may be quicker, but nothing starts a holiday off more than watching the continental coast approaching. Unless you're scared of ships...

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The guage on my tank isn't very good. It has four green lights and then red. Because of the shape of the tank it goes down very quickly to two then one for a long while before hitting red.
I just put in 34 litres for £20 YES £20 for THIRTY FOUR litres :roflmto: That's at a Texaco garage but a FloGas pump.

This tells me than with the red light just gone on I still have 14 litres left in there (equivalent to more than a 6kg bottle) or indeed 7kg

My 60 litre tank holds 48 litres at 80% :thumb:

58.9ppl at Birstall West Yorkshire

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is in the skirt just behind my diesel filler so handy to fill both in one stop.
Placement will vary between different vans but there is always a solution.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Who else fits tanks ? I thought the gas -it was cheaper than gaslow but when i called for a quote to have a tank fitted I was quoted around 750 was then told the cylinder might be a cheaper option for me at 500 ...equivalent to my current 6kg . bottle. I can get a GASLOW cylinder supplied and fitted locally for 400, wouldve preferred a tank to free up space but not at 750:whatthe:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back