OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's time at last!! We have booked our first trip to Europe in the motorhome!!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff Sat 28th June.

probably about a month travelling down the Western side of France. We have a long list of Gothic Cathedrals to visit. (Wife's ambition to see them) I want to see Carnac, and there will be loads of other things come up along the way I am sure! Then on to Spain to see friends on the North coast. Could end up staying there for....well, ever actually! lol

Portugal at some point too! ::bigsmile:

Sooo Excited. The last time I went to France and Spain in a camper was 1975, and I remember very little of that, I was knee high to a grasshopper back then! lol

Any advice from any of you more seasoned travellers?

• Ferry advice
  • Roscoff camp sites?
  • West coast of France attractions or things we just must not miss?
  • Do's and don'ts?
  • Things that I simply must not forget to pack!!! LOL (Passport and toothbrush!)
Can't wait to get on the road now. We have the van pretty well ready already. Need to do another grocery shop and finish stocking the larder lol but other than that and packing clothes etc, we are done!

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
It's time at last!! We have booked our first trip to Europe in the motorhome!!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Can't wait to get on the road now. We have the van pretty well ready already. Need to do another grocery shop and finish stocking the larder lol but other than that and packing clothes etc, we are done!

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

NEWS FLASH
There are supermarkets in France as well :ROFLMAO:
We take very little out-but bring a hell of a lot back-our biggest shop is at Auchan in Boulougne on our way to Calais for Ferry home :thumb::thumb:

Of course there are the 'must see' things-but the essence of being in France for us is to find little restaurants serving regional dishes and wines and to try to improve our French chatting to people.
Tues eve 1400 mtrs up,on a campsite in the Auvergne we had a large beef sausage served with Aligot (basically mashed potato,but with cheese and fromage frais stirred until it becomes 'elastic')
Enjoy your trip-hope you come back with many happy memories-we always do ::bigsmile:

Mike

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We've just had the last 3 weeks doing the north and west coast as far as just short of Bordeaux. See thread called 'lovin out first French trip ' !

Reccomend concarneau and ile de re :thumb: still there - till tomorrow:cry:

Enjoy! But I would book ahead if using sites as they're getting busy now - and the weather is fab:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Before you turn right out of Brittany visit the Presqu'isle de Guerande, superb coastline around La Turballe,Piriac Sur Mer, Quimiac. Guerande is a small town with complete medieval walls.

Not sure about Gothic cathedrals down the west coast but in Brittany there are many parish clos's, unique to the area.

Lot's of romanesque churches on the way south, watch for 'Eglise roman'

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
France

Hi, already said but worth a second vote; Ile de Re. Superb for seafood,atmosphere, biking. Also further down, dune du Pilat just outside Arcachon. The whole of the Atlantic coast is great. Oh, almost forgot Noirmoutier, North of St Jean. De Monts.

Have a great trip! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone :) All suggestions are in the book, and will be googled and added to the list.

He he!!! So exciting! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Can I just mention gently that the ferry from Royan to Pointe de Grave on the other side of the Garonne estuary, is frighteningly expensive. Two years ago, think it was €49.50, and the passenger fare was €3.00 each, so just the other €43.50 for the motorhome then. All of 20 minutes ...... and if you go on it, I suggest you breathe in ! At the very least you will need to fold your mirrors in .....

Snag is, the nearest bridge to the coast is virtually at Bordeaux. We didn't particularly want to drive down that bank, because we'd only DONE that in the opposite direction, 6 months previously! But there are some great aires on the river that side, it was just too soon after for us.

Cancalle by the way should you find yourselves there is the veritable oyster capital if you like em. In which case walk the length of t'front with all the posh restaurants on your left and the sea on your right, to the corner where the road hangs a left, and buy your oysters at a fraction of the price, complete with pepper and lemon, from the stalls. On disposable plastic oyster plates, served with paper serviettes and a lemon handwipe in a sealed sachet, purchase a (plastic) glass of dry white from the purveyor of same at another stall, sit on the steps with the French in the sunshine, and enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back