Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi all,
I recently had to replace the burner in my Dometic RM7361 fridge as it was very rusty and not igniting properly. I gave it a try for a couple of days on the drive and all was fine.:thumb:
We have just returned from a very nice week in Somerset and after the first day the fridge flu showed signs of sooting.:Sad: I removed the burner again and found loads of stuff(rust?), cleared it and all was well again.:thumb: Then on the 3rd day the soot was bad, staining the side of the van above the flu.:Eeek: Needless to say at that point I turned it off. :Blush:
Can anybody shed any light on the problem?
Thanks
John

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My first thoughts are that the soot is caused by the burner not burning with a nice BLUE flame.

Possibly a yellowish flame?

Maybe need a new jet... or at least cleaned out with a bit if compressed air. May be some tiny flecks of rust fell on top of it.

Others will no doubt know more.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like someone with no knowledge has been cleaning out the jet with a bit of wire or a pin/needle and opened the orifice slightly causing a rich mixture.....it doesnt take much !

NOTHING should be inserted in a jet unless you know the EXACT jet size and have a correspondingly sized jet probe....and even then its a last resort..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The stuff (rust) must have dropped from the chimney/flue I cleaned ours out recently and cleaned the burner assembly without touching the jet, I got into the flue by the top vent and removed the twisted baffle I then cleaned the flue with scotchbrite pad pushed down with some stiff wire, cover the burner when you do this or you will fill it with the soot etc..

Mine works fine now so best of luck with yours.

Martin

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
sounds like someone with no knowledge has been cleaning out the jet with a bit of wire or a pin/needle and opened the orifice slightly causing a rich mixture.....it doesnt take much !

NOTHING should be inserted in a jet unless you know the EXACT jet size and have a correspondingly sized jet probe....and even then its a last resort..

You can use the bristle off a paint brush.....:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If I have any SOOTY problems, I just called SWEEP.....

If that does not work then its time for SUE........

:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Right, Mr Corbett....:thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
On many of the motorhome fridges there is a design fault. The condensate from the back of the fridge comes down the plastic tube fills the plastic reservoir then runs down the gas pipe causing the jet to get fouled. I put an external drain tube out the external vent so mine now drips outside.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You know G, when your lurking in the virtual ooloo, no post is safe from your rapier sharp attack...........:cry:

It's relief Dave. I've had to go to Glossop four times in the last fortnight - and survived :roflmto:

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thanks all for your input, comic :ROFLMAO: and serious:thumb:, it is much appreciated.
A new jet has been ordered and I will get it checked professionally after fitting.
John.

Plumberman

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
West Midlands.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm Learning
Hi Baycott,
Your problem suggests improper combustion due to incorrect mixture of gas and air.
LPG is a dangerous gas and I would seek professional advice from a qualified engineer .
Could be a simple problem of a blocked injector/pilot/burner.
A qualified engineer will soon sort your problem.
Hope this helps.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back