Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Advise please.

What is the best way to get internet access via a laptop while camping in Germany. What is likely cost. Going in two weeks time for two week period.

Campsites in Germany, are they easy to find when touring or do I have to plan and pre-book..

Last edited:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Internet Germany

Hi

Most campsites we have used in Germany have Wifi which is sometimes free and sometimes costs from € 2- 10 depending on time used . In the past we have stayed in stellplatzes and accessed Internet from places like Mac Donald's etc . This time we have signed up with Globalgig which has worked out OK for us since we are traveling in Europe for about 2 months . In the past we have not had to book any campsites and have used the ACSI CC ones . However you will be there in high season so the discount rates will not apply . We use the Bord atlas guide for stellplatzes as many of them are almost like campsites with hookup and services. Best thing is to arrive before midday and always have a plan B just in case . Have a great trip !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wireless MiFi modem and a local data simcard.

MiFi unit around £50....local data sim....no idea.

MiFi acts as a wireless hotspot so as long as you have a signal for your chosen network you have internet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
mifi and a europasim 3e a day when used and is cross border so works in all europe so no need for different sims for different countries contact motorhomewif adam will sort u out

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Advise please.

do you absolutely need it.. will you die without it .. ?

if not, leave the lappy at home and enjoy the freedom of being off grid for two weeks.. you might actually enjoy the freedom of having no emails, no FB, no forums, no twatter, no phone, no texts..

we were away for almost three years without the internet.. wunderbar:Smile:

if you need it for work.. scrub what I said

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Unlike France where WiFi can be obtained free if close to a MacDonalds, in Germany, we were asked to supply credit card details, whereupon we would be given the access code, and charged for what we data we used.

If I can't get a freebie WiFi signal with my booster, I don't bother with the internet when away. I use offline mapping (MS Autoroute 2013) for route planning.

Good luck,

Jock.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

if not, leave the lappy at home and enjoy the freedom of being off grid for two weeks.. you might actually enjoy the freedom of having no emails, no FB, no forums, no twatter, no phone, no texts..

WHAT no MotorhomeFun for two weeks, to hell with work.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If I can't get a freebie WiFi signal with my booster, I don't bother with the internet when away. I use offline mapping (MS Autoroute 2013) for route planning.

Good luck,

Jock.

I use maps Jock.. you know the paper foldy up things you buy in WH Smiths ? .. :roflmto:

but seriously.. like you, if there is no free wifi I don't bother.. We go away to get away.. leaving the net behind is liberating .. and much prefer paper maps for planning..

Last time, up in Scotland for three weeks and not only no net.. no phone signal.. heaven.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WiFi when it's free and europasim otherwise.

I am currently using europasim as there is wifi here but it's not free and as usual is more expensive than europasim.

Some campsite wifi, even when free is too slow (no doubt due to lots of users)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use maps Jock.. you know the paper foldy up things you buy in WH Smiths ? .. :roflmto:
Aye Jim, but they don't provide coordinates as you run your finger across the map, do they?
:winky:

I carry the paper ones too, but from Amazon UK. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Explanation

What I was going to use it for was to find campsites aroundabout where I found myself at the end of the day.:Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
What I was going to use it for was to find campsites aroundabout where I found myself at the end of the day.:Smile:

I have the 'Navigator'app by MapFactor on my Samsung Tab-Ive downloaded the maps of France (all free) and it works offline. campsites are included in the POI section.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back