The more advice the better please (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2008
Portsmouth
Funster No
Exp
My Wife and I have been lucky enough to to have really nice holidays abroad for the past number of years, and it recently occurred to us that we do not know our own country at all. Plus the fact I am tired of all the hassle
We have been looking at motor homes for some months So next week we have hired a motor home for the week and are going to Dorset and Devon we are both really excited. It is not the layout we would have but at the moment whilst hiring that is not terribly important. It is more the motor home experiance.
So my question is when purchasing a motor home, what should I be looking for, are there any particular mechanics I should be looking at? what about leaks in the bathrooms how do I detect potential cover up etc etc At the end of the day this is not cheap purchase, as I am sure you know, and the more advice I can get the better.
So if you have any top tips please let me know. You never know I might meet up with you one day and we can have a beer!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Most modern M/H's are built on a Fiat chassis and they are pretty bulit proof. Remember it's a comercial vehicle built to do 100's of thousands of miles and it is rare to find a M/H with high miles. So mechanics should be OK, make sure it has service history. Habitation wise if you are buying private get an inspection done.
Any more questions keep asking and welcome to the FUN

Andy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a buyers market, but choose wisely or you might become a seller before you know it!. Lots of people rush into their first purchase, they then find its not quite what they really want, so they sell and buy what they should have bought in the first place.

Go to some big dealers or better still a show and see as many layouts and styles as you can, you will soon find that a particular model grows on you.

This thread aboutLink Removed might help, but if you have any questions at all just fire away, Motorhome Fun is famous for the friendly knowledgeable folk here

Meanwhile best of luck and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Sep 17, 2008
Portsmouth
Funster No
Exp
has anyone any thoughts on tthis model please CI Riviera181G

We Hav e not got a van yet but have looked at lots of diffrent layouts and this is the layout we like most.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this van at all please.

http://************************:80/advert-view-details-1270.html this is the link for the van up for sale. Again is this reasonable value.

I have looked for reviews on th eb but cannot find any. I would really appreciatte you feedback.

Thanks John

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
My Wife and I have been lucky enough to to have really nice holidays abroad for the past number of years, and it recently occurred to us that we do not know our own country at all. Plus the fact I am tired of all the hassle
We have been looking at motor homes for some months So next week we have hired a motor home for the week and are going to Dorset and Devon we are both really excited. It is not the layout we would have but at the moment whilst hiring that is not terribly important. It is more the motor home experiance.
So my question is when purchasing a motor home, what should I be looking for, are there any particular mechanics I should be looking at? what about leaks in the bathrooms how do I detect potential cover up etc etc At the end of the day this is not cheap purchase, as I am sure you know, and the more advice I can get the better.
So if you have any top tips please let me know. You never know I might meet up with you one day and we can have a beer!

Hi John

We are in the same position as you at the moment i.e. looking for our first motorhome, so I am asking many of the same questions! :Eeek:

But having spent a lot of time on and around yachts, one of the things I would always do is to spray with a hosepipe to check for leaks. Any decent dealer shouldn't object - if they say no, give it a wide berth! :ROFLMAO:

Hope you enjoy your Dorset/Devon trip - the sun's come out down here now, so let's hope it stays that way!!! ::bigsmile:

donna g

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Try the layout time and time again the times I have bought on the look rather than how useful it is.

You can make a real expensive mistake buying on impulse.

Work the layout in you head (for me its bed length and I don't like L shaped settees)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hi and welcome to Fun, your not too far from us so your welcome to have a cha to Andy whi has his own MH and and has been MHoming for years and knows the answers from practical use

Good Luck

Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're looking to buy privately, I would recommend buying a moisture meter to check for water ingress. Plasplugs did do one quite cheaply and although not as senmsitive as the ones the dealers use will still point up a problem if it exists. Particularly check inside lockers and under the mattress of the overcab bed if it has one as this is where damp will be most detectable. One van I looked at didn't need the meter- it had a puddle:helptitanic: Repairs for water ingress can be very expensive.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome, nice to see another pompey lad on here, though these days I live in Devon. This site has a lot of info tucked away. As already stated most are built on a fiat base, there have been problems with water ingress and gearbox problems on some models so do check out the posts and get some pointers as to what to avoid. There are also some companies to aviod, read, read read, then make your mind up, the dealer choice is more important than the model of van. Interior layout is a matter of personal choice, only use will determine your ideal layout and for that reason I would advise buying an older van first, let someone else have the massive depreciation found in the first few years of its life, solve all the problems etc. Then if in use you decide on a diferent layout you will not lose much if at all trading it in for your final van. Good luck enjoy the learning process and the freedom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back