Are Cls and CSs cost effective any more? (1 Viewer)

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We're on a C & CC club site right now at Normans Bay (yes, we're flying the pennant) and have started looking for a CL or CS on which to spend October.* We don't ask for more than a loo, hook up, dump and water.* Some of the prices we've been quoted by the CLs and CSs beggar belief, far higher than the club sites themselves.
I love the smaller sites, I do know that electricity is now more expensive than diamonds, and I do appreciate that electrical inspections, the 'elf and safety' brigade, and the local councils all impose charges which have to be taken into account, but, is it more cost effective to have a site fully occupied at a reasonable price, or £15+ per night pitches empty?
Jan

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We're on a C & CC club site right now at Normans Bay (yes, we're flying the pennant) and have started looking for a CL or CS on which to spend October.* We don't ask for more than a loo, hook up, dump and water.* Some of the prices we've been quoted by the CLs and CSs beggar belief, far higher than the club sites themselves.
I love the smaller sites, I do know that electricity is now more expensive than diamonds, and I do appreciate that electrical inspections, the 'elf and safety' brigade, and the local councils all impose charges which have to be taken into account, but, is it more cost effective to have a site fully occupied at a reasonable price, or £15+ per night pitches empty?
Jan

I agree with you Jan, some do overcharge, so just don't go there. :thumb:

I lived in the South East for many years & saw a lot of increases on local sites when the thorny subject of electric charges came in, where the site cannot charge more than it pays for electric. So the CC took the decision to include electric in the fee. :Sad:

There are still many CS & CL's that are reasonable, our last one was £4, no electric but toilet, water & dump.

If we all vote with our feet & boycott these expensive site they will soon see what is happening. :Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dylans is a tenner with all hard standing and 16 amp leccy (real bargain) and fantastic position.

See my signature:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
We have stopped going to one CL in the Gower as she put up the prices...she didn't seem at all bothered!! :cry:
Just stayed at a lovely CL in Somerset ...£2 per night with toilet!!!
Been to some in other areas and whereas you appreciate that the price may be more than shown in the CC book, a few had doubled!!! :Doh: Did we stay there...? ...not likely!! We wild parked :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If we all vote with our feet & boycott these expensive site they will soon see what is happening. :Doh:

Site owners will charge as much as they can, and why shouldn't they? Most start a CL to earn a bit of cash, its not a public service its a money making concern and the market sets the price. As long as these site owners have people prepared to pay silly money then they will continue charging silly prices.

As Keith says the only way to bring the prices down is to vote with your feet. Maybe we should start something like a "value for money NOT" forum so we can name and shame them. Or will this just give them publicity, so more silly people can go and pay there silly prices. :RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Never gonna grow rich out of 5 pitches

Feul in Eileens husbands mower alone see to that.

then theres the leccy

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Can cwmcuttan be moved to Sussex overnight please?

Our tale of woe gets worse. 4 cls selected for inspection today, I phoned them all and was assured that they had good access, I told them we were an rv and towed. After a good 150+ mile round trip we are so knackered and totally disillusioned. One which boasted 'lovely wide access' was down a forest track so narrow and overhung with branches that the average Tranny van would have struggled. Another had such a U turn to the entrance that we would have had to pass the gate and reverse in - not a problem, but the cowsh*t lake was. The third looked like Steptoe's yard, rusting rubbish, mud, litter. None of these less than £13/night!!!

Ok the bar's now open and the blood pressure is down a bit - anyone know of a good rv friendly CL or CS in Susex?

Jan

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Cls And Ccs

Blinking eck, you must be going to the wrong cls. Most of the ones we go to charge between £7.50 and £10.00 most have a toilet or toilet and shower Regards Dave.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
We have a CS and charge £8 with electric and £7 without and £5 for a tent, we have the bare necessaties a dump, an RV dump, fresh water, rubbish bins, plenty of hard standing and 2 hook ups, will be more later but only 6 amp I am afraid.

We have had several campers in the last few weeks and this morning, I had to empty the rubbish bin, once again someone had put in loose waste! Despite the bin being clearly marked "BAGGED WASTE ONLY". I also note that despite there being bins for "CANS" and "GLASS" most had not bothered to separate their rubbish as I heard the clink of both bottles and cans in some of the bags:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Whilst we have had some very nice people stay we have also had some totally inconsiderate people, gates left open rubbish left on the land, wheel spin on the grass, (Who will not be allowed again), so while I do sympathise with the original post perhaps those sites too are fed up with having to clear up after these people and have put up their prices accordingly to go part of the way to help compensate for having to clear up after them!

It is very frustrating and only goes to spoil it for others as John said this is for pin money only, I have a full time job as well and don't really need to be clearing up after these lazy ba$**rds:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Regards Pat

OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
My sympathies - I'm afraid that bad and inconsiderate trash (not campers, wouldn't call them that) are everywhere and they are in some instances spoiling things for the rest of us. Makes us wonder sometimes what their houses are like?Because we like to park 3 or 4 weeks in an area and explore we really need a pitch with electric and an accessible water supply for our shower if there isn't one on site.* We're so big when you add on the length of the trailer that a lot of sites are not able to take us so we are a bit limited as to where we can go, which is why we do have slight probs now and again.
Jan

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
My sympathies - I'm afraid that bad and inconsiderate trash (not campers, wouldn't call them that) are everywhere and they are in some instances spoiling things for the rest of us. Makes us wonder sometimes what their houses are like?Because we like to park 3 or 4 weeks in an area and explore we really need a pitch with electric and an accessible water supply for our shower if there isn't one on site.* We're so big when you add on the length of the trailer that a lot of sites are not able to take us so we are a bit limited as to where we can go, which is why we do have slight probs now and again.
Jan

Got a piccy of your unit Jan:winky:

Again Cwmcuttan could accommodate you:thumb:

OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Piccy yes, but Jan not capable of getting it onto this website! I'm totally useless on computers, took me an hour tonight to get on the web. All my photos are on Picassa so if anyone can give me an idiot proof way to do it, I will (maybe).

Cwmcuttan sadly not between Eastbourne and Canterbury (which is where we're spending the winter so any funsters dropping in that site most welcome), but we are heading to Wales 2009 and will certainly pay a visit.

Jan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Jan, we are originally from Romney Marsh so give our love to that area :thumb: look forward to seeing you at some point in your travels.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back