Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Im thinking of visiting the area around Ypres/Somme, the thing is we will have 3 dogs with us. Can anyone tell me what pet control we will have go through ( is it going to cost me anything, eg more vet bills)were going to France for 3 weeks on Thursday, very late train. Thanks

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Drive regularly from Dunkirk to Antwerp in the car - and Antwerp to Bergen OP zoom (doing that one tomorrow afternoon)

Controls/customs/people? Nil, zilch, zero, nada. Sod all.......... Nothing. The only different is the change of road surface from crap to utter crap

OP
OP
plumbomb

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the heads up all being well Belgium on Friday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well you're supposed to declare any animals going through a border although no one ever does unless it's a commercial shipment, we certainly don't bother.

The only major difference between European countries regarding dogs passing through is rabies vaccinations but as I suspect you already have this (UK resident) then it's a non issue.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I agree with DuxDeluxe about the roads, some of them in Belgium are quite uncomfortable. The only time we have come across any pet check in Europe is the crossing back to the UK. One or two larger sites have asked to see the pet passport to check on vaccinations, that was mainly in the south.
The site in Ypres has a very convenient dog walk on the small nature reserve, and a short crossing (10 yards) through cow pasture which can be quite exciting depending on the proximity of the cattle and the nervousness of your dog.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
...........short crossing (10 yards) through cow pasture which can be quite exciting depending on the proximity of the cattle and the nervousness of your dog.

Don't ever take a dog into a field with cows unless you understand cows and know their stage of development. Dog owners have been seriously injured and in some cases killed by cows. I say this as someone who has spent most of his life living in a rural area. And I have no fear of any farm animal.:Smile:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Thanks Tonyidle, I quite agree with you. We stay well clear of cattle with the dog.
However this is a very short shortcut and the cattle are usually well out of the way. The warning is still valid.

Last edited:

poppydog

Free Member
Nov 1, 2010
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 2000
Crossing to belgium with dogs

NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE ANSWERED YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION - HAVING TRAVELLED TO THE CONTINENT LOTS OF TIMES WITH OUR DOGS YOU NEED:

A PET PASSPORT FOR EACH DOG
THE DOGS HAVE TO BE MICROCHIPPED
THE DOGS NEED TO HAVE A RABIES INJECTION
THE DOGS NEED TO HAVE A BLOOD TEST
THE DOGS HAVE TO STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE - UNLESS YOU TRAVEL TO SPAIN WITH BRITTANY FERRIES ON THEIR SHIP THAT HAS DOG FRIENDLY CABINS
YOU HAVE TO GO TO A VET BEFORE TRAVELLING BACK TO THE UK - THE VET WILL EITHER GIVE THE DOG A WORM TABLET OR AN INJECTION, HE WILL THEN FILL IN THE DOG'S PASSPORT, WITH THE TIME THAT YOU VISITED THE VET - YOU CANNOT TRAVEL UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE ELAPSED AFTER SEEING THE VET, BUT, YOU MUST TRAVEL BACK WITH 5 DAYS OF SEEING THE VET. (the latter used to be 48 hours but it was altered in 2012)

YOU DO NOT PAY FOR THE DOG TO GO TO THE CONTINENT BUT
YOU DO PAY FOR THE DOG TO COME BACK FROM THE CONTINENT AS AT PASSPORT CONTROL THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE DOCUMENTATION ie:
THEY WILL CHECK THE DOG'S PASSPORT, THEY WILL THEN HAND YOU THE MICROCHIP MACHINE AND YOU HAVE TO PRESS A BUTTON ON IT AND RUN IT OVER YOUR DOG'S NECK WHERE THE MICROCHIP WILL HAVE BEEN INSERTED, AND THEN YOU GIVE THE MACHINE BACK TO THE CUSTOMS OFFICER WHO WILL CHECK THE NUMBER THAT HAS SHOWN UP ON THE MACHINE WITH THE MICROCHIP NUMBER ON THE DOG'S PASSPORT AND SO LONG AS THE NUMBERS MATCH UP, WHICH THEY SHOULD DO, THEN YOU ARE FREE TO TRAVEL BACK TO THE UK WITH YOUR DOG.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO YPRES THERE ARE TWO VETS THERE, ONE IN THE TOWN AND ONE A BIT OF A WALK OUT OF THE TOWN, ALL VETS TO OUR EXPERIENCE SEEM TO CHARGE WHATEVER THEY LIKE, A BIT LIKE THE UK!

HOPE THIS HAS BEEN OF ASSISTANCE TO YOU AND HAVE A SAFE TRIP

poppydog

Free Member
Nov 1, 2010
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 2000
Going to belgium with dogs

Hi there it's me again, forgot to tell you that you will have to pay for the dog's on the return journey to the uk, myferrylink which have two of sea france boats (sea france went to the wall)
charged us last year £25 per dog, i think dfds line charge £30 each dog but i don't know how much it is on the train, but i think this fee is to con more money out of the brits for taking their pets on holiday !!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back