what have the French done to Mont St Michael ! (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
well they have partly demolished the centuries old ancient causeway to it, and replaced it with a huge ugly carbuncle of a badly designed and executed motorway flyover in the name of GREENWASH :Doh: Supposedly this new flyover is to allow the water to circulate around the mont, but in reality it is a new larger conveyor belt to allow many more tourists quickly to be shepherded into the shops of tat and overpriced restaurants.

Sorry if you missed the Mont with the old causeway, now it a muddy mess of a building site with a shitpile of metal being built to it.........bloody French :Doh:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
That sounds terrible! Luckily we saw the Mont in all it's splendour a few years ago from the outside. We could not believe how utterly tacky the shops inside were since up to that time we had thought that the French had good taste . Did you take a photo of the new carbuncle ?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was there 50 years ago and well remember the tat and then the beauty of the Great Halls, Abbey and Monastery. It was like ascending through purgatory to heavenly splendour.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
well they have partly demolished the centuries old ancient causeway to it, and replaced it with a huge ugly carbuncle of a badly designed and executed motorway flyover in the name of GREENWASH :Doh: Supposedly this new flyover is to allow the water to circulate around the mont, but in reality it is a new larger conveyor belt to allow many more tourists quickly to be shepherded into the shops of tat and overpriced restaurants.
Sorry if you missed the Mont with the old causeway, now it a muddy mess of a building site with a shitpile of metal being built to it.........bloody French :Doh:
Must admit it does look a tad over engineered for requirement.:Smile:

Attachments

• n_tallest_bridge_041213.300w.jpg
    n_tallest_bridge_041213.300w.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 60

Deleted User
The causeway is a fairly recent development that massively altered the natural movement of the sea around what was an island.

"But in the years since then, the sea has dumped tons of silt around the island, slowly attaching it to the land. The main culprit appears to be a solid causeway, built in 1879, that linked the monastery to the mainland but disrupted the movement of the waters. The problem was worsened in 1969, when the government built a dam on the Couesnon River to protect farmlands from high tide, but one result was to further reduce the power of the river to push the silt back into the sea."

Best seen from a distance in my opinion,' tourist trap' springs to mind but the guided walks across the estuary are worth doing if a bit hard on the feet. Rippled sand is surprisingly painful to bare feet after a while. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last visit was in 2006 .. It's more tacky than superglue.. best seen at night from afar..

A comment from Frankie's link ..

The best solution would destroy bridge and dam, close shops, restaurants and other ridiculous machines tourists. should not keep that access on foot, and for those who have a genuine approach to the abbey, a spiritual approach.
That the monks who settled there, wanted to inspire ermittes desert to installler away from the world ...

who couldn't agree with that.. ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Enjoyed my one and only visit 5/6 years ago:thumb:
I think the French have taken advantage of an attraction and the "Tat" is a slightly better quality than we sell at our tourists traps

Geo

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Here is a link to the debate about this. Sorry it's in French...

Keep in mind that security is meant for all! Locals and tourists!
It could have been lower but firemen wouldn't have been able to get to the Mont when it's high tide.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2012...t-michel-cinquante-centimetres-font-debat.php

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

yes amazing how it managed to stand without combusting for centuries.....then along comes mass tourism from Asia and everything is different.

I could not take a picture of the mont at sea level, it was sickening to see the destruction and the carbuncle at that level.

Now in every picture from the front of the Mont there will be an ugly flyover in the way.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Best seen from a distance and at night in my opinion, and possibly the most disappointing tourist destination in France. Maybe some medieval decree rules that French style and culture must end at the high tide line in that part of Normandy? Great if you like crowds, plastic knights and wooden swords, but frankly I've been in theme parks with more taste than the Mont St Michel. As for that strip of motels and diners that precedes the causeway, I thought we'd been magically teleported to Florida. Ghastly.

Sad to say, Carcassonne is beginning to head down that route too, but still has some way to go. Hopefully someone will see sense there and shout 'Pas Encore!'.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Mont St Michel

A quick search of "mont st michel" and "mayor" might offer a explanation as to what has happened to this French monument. :Eeek::Eeek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I was going to visit it 2 years ago , got as far as the huge new car parks being built and decided ,i knew what i was going to be faced with when i got there , so i turned around and camped nearby.

Shame a popular place always ends up a crowded tat center.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The mayor of the famous French landmark Mont-Saint-Michel has been hit with a €30,000 fine for using his position of power to make sure bus services shuttling the 2.5 million annual visitors to the site left from outside his businesses.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130227/mont-st-michel-mayor-fined-30000-over-bus-route

well you can bet your sweet bippy that fugly new bridge has somebodies dirty fingers on it. My advice at present is not to bother visiting MSM as its a building site at the front - as has been said best seen from a distance and you can photochop the motorway flyover out of photos easier......:Doh:

roadworks at the front
Broken Link Removed

incongruous shitpile of a flyover -these pictures are designed to make it look good

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
well you can bet your sweet bippy that fugly new bridge has somebodies dirty fingers on it. My advice at present is not to bother visiting MSM as its a building site at the front - as has been said best seen from a distance and you can photochop the motorway flyover out of photos easier......:Doh:

roadworks at the front
Broken Link Removed

incongruous shitpile of a flyover -these pictures are designed to make it look good

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Well it's not that pretty at the moment but then it is a "work in progress". It looks quite elegant to me and if it lets the tides circulate and helps to restore the "island" status of MSM then that seems like a good thing to me.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Some people just can't let it go ?????

" along comes mass tourism from Asia and everything is different"

Do they all come in those cars and motorhomes you can see everywhere.

I guess the place is full of Romanian pickpockets as well

the place was full of Asians when I went :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back