First trip - do-able? (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Just wanted to outline our plans for the summer (first continental trip in the motorhome). Heading from glorious Teesside and using the ferry for the first time in a number of years, rather than the tunnel. First overnight in Ypres and the only booking I have made. We then plan to head down through Belgium/France/Luxembourg/Germany to arrive at a site we've been to before near Freiburg (Kirchzarten) for a few days. So after a couple of high mileage days, we then going to slow down a little.
Heading for the Swiss Sustenpass and overnighting at the top of the mountains and the following day going down into Italy and the lakes area (no plans which, but got lots of ideas and there are plenty of sites). Finally heading west into the French Jura region and then home-ish via the Champagne region (to stock up!). Around 2½k miles and 18 days away.
Do-able with an 11 & 15 year old to keep entertained? :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMO it is certainly do able if you and your family enjoy the driving.

I calculate your planned trip to involve the equivalent of around 3 hrs driving a day... every day.

Each to their own I say...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
I estimate we'll do about 800 miles in the first couple of days, so after that we can slow down a bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Easily do able:thumb:
I had a fortnight in France a week a go and clocked up 2000 miles.Ive 2 kids,9 and 7,when travelling they watch videos with their headphones on or play dominoes etc!
Just keep the crisps and treats flowing and they love it!

Vlad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 60

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do-able with an 11 & 15 year old to keep entertained? :Smile:

Could be more bearable if you include Europa Park (German/French border) and some of the Lake Garda theme parks (especially Gardaland and Aqua Paradise) in the itinerary, assuming the youngsters like theme parks. If you base yourself near Lazise there are shuttle buses to the parks and back.

On our long distance days using Autoroutes I estimate an average speed of 50mph which allows for toll booths, traffic, minor roads and lunch break. I usually end up driving at 60-70mph but never hammer it. A 400 mile day is about 8 hours' travelling so make sure you stock up on boxed sets of DVDs or similar otherwise the kids' mobile phone coverage will cost you an arm and a leg.

2,500 miles is manageable if you include a few long distance days - we usually keep ours for the beginning and end so we can spend as much time as far south as possible.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm with JJ.. doable if you like driving ..

what's the point of going to all these places then spend no time in them..

it's no fun for kids.. even chock full of e numbers, just watching the scenery fly past at 60 mph

been there, done that and gave it up.. race to the ferry.. yes, .. after that.. sloooooooooowwwww down.. chill out and enjoy it..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had a fortnight in France a week a go and clocked up 2000 miles.Ive 2 kids,9 and 7,when travelling they watch videos with their headphones on or play dominoes etc!

Vlad

That photo reminded me of my two a few years ago with their heads buried in Ipads or DVD players.

They hadn't noticed the drama when 4 bikes nearly fell off the bike rack on route and had to be jammed in the van for the remainder of the journey. They only noticed when it was time to get out.

Same thing happened in Northern Spain in the car. They stayed in the back seats while the car was jacked up in a garage to change a tyre and knew nothing about it when we talked about it later.

Kids::bigsmile:

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
It's do-able but i won't do it again. We did a 2000 mile round trip over 17 days at the end of March, too much driving :Sad:

We went down to visit friends near Perpignan and we went none Toll down and had a number of overnight stops (mostly aires), it was very tiring. If we were doing it again i would go Toll and get there and then spend more time at our destination.

We came back Toll, it cost us about 100euro but it was worth it just not to be totally drained at night as well as cutting down the traveling times :thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
They probably do that at home.

Maybe yours did but I never see mine,they are always out playing in the fields at the back,or catching crayfish in the stream.The joys of living in a small village,even when we can't see them we can usually hear them.

Vlad

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe yours did but I never see mine,they are always out playing in the fields at the back,or catching crayfish in the stream
Vlad

Sounds excellent. My kids never even saw a VHS player. The youngest is 40.

Which is why I get so exasperated by today's kids who go everywhere with earphones plugged in or sat glued to TV/Computers. Do you ever see a kid today who is not bashing a mobile ?

I do remember "do we have to go up there ?". "YES". So I have this picture ( 35mm colour slide ) of a daughter sulking, looking down on a few clouds from the top of a Swiss mountain, but she's never forgotten it. Cable car up Mänlichen, a good trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
We wouldn't bliink at doing this sort of mileage in the car (and have done many times), so although it might take a little longer each day I don't envisage driving everyday by any means. Like I said a couple of high mileage days at the start, a few days in Germany, then ½ day to the Alps, ½ day down to Italy, stay around one of the lakes for a few days another few days round another lake and then head off slowly towards France. Few days in the Jura, few days in Champagne

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We wouldn't bliink at doing this sort of mileage in the car

So couple of high mileage days, two half days, 5 "few" days then another couple of high mileage days. All in 18 days ?

It's your choice but you did ask.

I think this is a young thing/old thing. Old things like to look in depth, down all the back alleys, under the stones. You can do that when you an old thing.

Peschiera del Garda. Small but lovely town to explore. Boats to get on to other lovely towns. Hire a speed boat of your own. Cycle for miles. Just down the road a big theme park. Just up the lake a cable car to a 2500m mountain. Take them on a train to Venice. Don't your kids deserve a week there ? Does your wife deserve a week there ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
2500 miles in 18 days is 138 miles a day on average. Every 400 mile day will give you two days completely clear, and will make the 138 mile days seem like nothing at all.

I'm all for piling down the autoroute to the interesting bits with good weather, giving them a thorough looking over from dawn 'til dusk then moving on after a few days. We rarely spend more than 4 days in one place. If I don't come back from a touring holiday completely knackered I don't feel like I've been anywhere - I can rest at home :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If I don't come back from a touring holiday completely knackered I don't feel like I've been anywhere - I can rest at home :Smile:

I've done that far too many times. This year included. When will I take my own advice ? This year 5500 miles in 55 days. Does not average much but not enough relaxation.

I'll write it large on my whiteboard
"HIGH MILEAGE DOES NOT EQUATE TO GOOD HOLIDAY"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I recall my very first trip to France with a gf who became my first wife.. back in 1971 ..

I had a new MG Midget and we left Paisley on a Saturday morning, about 10am , two man tent in the boot and a map of France.. no other plans.. just head for the Med.

We crossed the Channel on the Newhaven - Dieppe night ferry.. IIRC it was 4hrs sailing, that was the only rest I had.. arrived in France about 4 am

It was then non stop to St Tropez, and arrived late on Sunday evening. Couldn't find a camp site so we parked up and slept in the car..

Next day we were awakened by the noise of a market being set up around us.. When I got out of the car I could hardly stand straight.. ohh happy days and the joys and naivety of youth .. not any more..

Nowadays we may travel as little as 30 or 50 mls before looking for a site or aire.. a long day would be 150mls..
Long trips need lots of time.. plenty of stops to take in the sights.. :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Well, we got back yesterday and had a throughly enjoyable time. Just shy of 2500 miles. Ypres, Frieburg, Sustenpass, Como, Peschiera del Garda, Jura and Champagne in France before a couple of days near Calais.
Only real disappointment of the trip was the weather. Rain on Lake Garda which curtailed our stay, rain in the Jura. So we moved rather more than we hoped.
Motorhome was excellent and returned about 25mpg.
We parked up in an aire just outside Bologne sur Mer, but chickened out and left after about 30 minutes. It was rammed with people and apart from the canopies installed and tables and chairs out, there was no electricity available (full!). We went off to a site near Calais overnight before the ferry.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Vlad
What an awesome picture and what 2 lovely looking young ladies :)

Thanks for sharing it with us all. You've certainly got the journeys sorted, that's for sure :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back