Three sim, and O2 (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right, from reading posts on here about three, thought I would have a go, so having a spare nokia lumia with O2 p and g I got on the website and looked at unlocking it, and it said if it was contract they would unlock it free, but charge £15 for pandg. Well I happen to have a Motorola on contract.
So I changed my sims over and filled in an online form to unlock the nokia, not thinking it would work but lo and behold an email came the next day with a free unlock code, so shot down tesco and got a three sim, shoved it in and entered the pin they had sent me and works straight away.
Well I am amazed with it but signal is very hit and miss, won't connect at all in some places then move 10 yards and it will connect to the internet, but the prices are unbelievable, I was paying 35p a min on O2 and on here 3p, not a little is it, and if I am not mistaken it will do this in France from July BUT, there always is one int there, in all the things I can find about it , you can't tether either here or Europe which I always did with O2 , not to download films or owt but just to get on here and check emails and a bit of browsing with a bigger screen with the ipad, nothing I couldn't do with the phone but bigger.
Now has anyone tried tethering , what happened , do they know even if you are not useing it a lot but just doing what you can do with your phone, do they cut you off or what.
But all in all a fantastic bargain if you only use the phone:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Right, from reading posts on here about three, thought I would have a go, so having a spare nokia lumia with O2 p and g I got on the website and looked at unlocking it, and it said if it was contract they would unlock it free, but charge £15 for pandg. Well I happen to have a Motorola on contract.
So I changed my sims over and filled in an online form to unlock the nokia, not thinking it would work but lo and behold an email came the next day with a free unlock code, so shot down tesco and got a three sim, shoved it in and entered the pin they had sent me and works straight away.
Well I am amazed with it but signal is very hit and miss, won't connect at all in some places then move 10 yards and it will connect to the internet, but the prices are unbelievable, I was paying 35p a min on O2 and on here 3p, not a little is it, and if I am not mistaken it will do this in France from July BUT, there always is one int there, in all the things I can find about it , [HI]you can't tether either here or Europe [/HI]which I always did with O2 , not to download films or owt but just to get on here and check emails and a bit of browsing with a bigger screen with the ipad, nothing I couldn't do with the phone but bigger.

Now has anyone tried tethering , what happened , do they know even if you are not useing it a lot but just doing what you can do with your phone, do they cut you off or what.

I believe it all depends which tarif you are on. I have the all you can eat data on the "One Plan" sim only, pay monthly on D/D for £14 a month, which allows full unlimited tethering.

We tether several devices when travelling, including abroad, with the "Feel At Home" deal which gave us access including tethering at no extra cost recently in USA and Italy.
:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
BUT, there always is one int there, in all the things I can find about it , you can't tether either here or Europe which I always did with O2 , not to download films or owt but just to get on here and check emails and a bit of browsing with a bigger screen with the ipad, nothing I couldn't do with the phone but bigger.

Bump:Sad: no one know then, where's Addie when you need him:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I believe it all depends which tarif you are on. I have the all you can eat data on the "One Plan" sim only, pay monthly on D/D for £14 a month, which allows full unlimited tethering.

We tether several devices when travelling, including abroad, with the "Feel At Home" deal which gave us access including tethering at no extra cost recently in USA and Italy.

Sorry we overlapped there, yeah I'm only on 3 2 1 pay and go, didn't want another monthly one as I can't get out of my O2 one for another year and just wanted the three mainly when in France as Addie posted a couple of weeks ago:thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

My O2 contract is £14 a month and for just normal uk use it is plenty, never go over the allowance but last month with a fortnight in France included it came to £65

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Well I am amazed with it but signal is very hit and miss, won't connect at all in some places then move 10 yards and it will connect to the internet, but the prices are unbelievable, I was paying 35p a min on O2 and on here 3p, not a little is it, and if I am not mistaken it will do this in France from July BUT, there always is one int there, in all the things I can find about it , you can't tether either here or Europe which I always did with O2 , not to download films or owt but just to get on here and check emails and a bit of browsing with a bigger screen with the ipad, nothing I couldn't do with the phone but bigger.
[HI]Now has anyone tried tethering , what happened , do they know even if you are not useing it a lot but just doing what you can do with your phone, do they cut you off or what.[/HI]

if you can tether with your phone they wont stop you if its not in your PAYG or contract they will just charge you premium rates:Eeek:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if you can tether with your phone they wont stop you if its not in your PAYG or contract they will just charge you premium rates:Eeek:

If that is the case that's ok , no different than O2 but I have read that they stop your phone for 24 hours or something, but do they always know immediately.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When in Italy my UK "3" would not allow me to tether with my laptop, but I could tether to my iPad or Android tablet.

However if I tried to browse using Chrome or Safari on the iPad it blocked me. I did then find though that if I searched in the Google App, I could browse using the browser in the Google App with no problem, so I could surf as I wished. ...Love it........::bigsmile:

And yes, as of July, France, Switzerland, Norway, Finland and Israel will be included in the "Feel at Home" deal as well as the existing countries such as Italy, denmark, Sweden, Austria, Ireland etc..

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Brilliant as I've been looking for an cheap option for France for donkeys, now in two weeks time it will cost me zilch....:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When in Italy my UK "3" would not allow me to tether with my laptop, but I could tether to my iPad or Android tablet.

However if I tried to browse using Chrome or Safari on the iPad it blocked me. I did then find though that if I searched in the Google App, I could browse using the browser in the Google App with no problem, so I could surf as I wished. ...Love it........::bigsmile:

And yes, as of July, France, Switzerland, Norway, Finland and Israel will be included in the "Feel at Home" deal as well as the existing countries such as Italy, denmark, Sweden, Austria, Ireland etc..

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Brilliant as I've been looking for an cheap option for France for donkeys, now in two weeks time it will cost me zilch....:thumb::thumb:

This sounds what I am looking for, but you have lost me I'm afraid, what do you mean , google app, thought google was chrome

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This sounds what I am looking for, but you have lost me I'm afraid, what do you mean , google app, thought google was chrome

Sorry, on my iPad I have Apps for both Google Chrome (as a browser) and another App which is the Google Search App.

So, say you put MHF into the Google search APP, when MHF comes up and you tap on it, it will open in a browser which is inside the Goggle search APP. Not in Chrome or Safari.
However if you use the option in the Google Search App to "open in browser" such as Safari or Chrome, bingo..... disconnected....

My guess is the "system" just sees that you are using an APP, so ""mobile data", and not a recognised Browser which is using full Web pages. Hope this makes sense....:thumb:

It works for me, and I hope "3" are not reading this........:RollEyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I hope you are right callum as I will be using mine in the US but the THREE rules state as follows.:thumb:
Other things you should know about Feel At Home.

There are a few other things you should know about Feel At Home before going away. These are:

• You can’t use your phone as a Personal Hotspot (this is also called tethering) in a Feel At Home destination – even if you normally do so in the UK using your data allowance, or have a Personal Hotspot allowance or Add-on.:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
. I did then find though that if I searched in the Google App, I could browse using the browser in the Google App with no problem, so I could surf as I wished. ...Love it........::bigsmile:

Callum was that Google search or Google+ app?
TIA
Steve

Thanks Callum you answered it thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had a look in the ipad shop and can't believe it but iv already got it on this ipad and I am actually posting this on it at this moment, had to sign in again and everything. Cal , you are a genius if it works in France it will save me hundreds:thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I hope you are right callum as I will be using mine in the US but the THREE rules state as follows.:thumb:
Other things you should know about Feel At Home.

There are a few other things you should know about Feel At Home before going away. These are:

• You can’t use your phone as a Personal Hotspot (this is also called tethering) in a Feel At Home destination – even if you normally do so in the UK using your data allowance, or have a Personal Hotspot allowance or Add-on.:thumb:

I saw those rules before I first used the "Feel at Home" in Italy. That's when I found if I connected my laptop or used Chrome or Safari, it stopped working.

So I closed my Hotspot, re-opened the Hotspot, it worked again and as long as I only used "mobile data" such as Facebook App etc. it worked fine.

I stumbled on the Google search App thing by accident, and that did let me browse, but if I used the "open in browser" option it stopped again. Switch off hotspot, switch on hotspot, and it started working again. So I just surfed in Google Search App...

Same worked for us in New York last month....

ps; I used ti live in Watford.........:thumb::thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I saw those rules before I first used the "Feel at Home" in Italy. That's when I found if I connected my laptop or used Chrome or Safari, it stopped working.

So I closed my Hotspot, re-opened the Hotspot, it worked again and as long as I only used "mobile data" such as Facebook App etc. it worked fine.

I stumbled on the Google search App thing by accident, and that did let me browse, but if I used the "open in browser" option it stopped again. Switch off hotspot, switch on hotspot, and it started working again. So I just surfed in Google Search App...

Same worked for us in New York last month....

ps; I used ti live in Watford.........:thumb::thumb:
Sorry I have since read the full story and will give it a try Ta.:thumb:
Watford is a great town and getting better by the day but shush:Smile: dont tell shifty he gets disillusioned living where he does.:winky:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
[HI]Now has anyone tried tethering , what happened , do they know even[/HI] if you are not useing it a lot but just doing what you can do with your phone, do they cut you off or what.

Yes, we know when our customers are tethering, and so do Three.
What will happen is you'll get a warning message from Three telling you you're not permitted to Tether on your account / while roaming, and that Data has been temporarily been suspended (in the UK). That means that if you're abroad when you get the data suspension, you'll drop onto the local carrier [1] standard data roaming rates.

[1] Telecos have deals with local carriers to enable their customers to use their handsets in countries where they don't have their own networks. Normally it's by reciprocal arrangements, or by nature of their parent company owning local carriers. e.g O2 is owned by Telefonica, Vodafone is owned by the devil :winky:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What will happen is you'll get a warning message from Three telling you you're not permitted to Tether on your account / while roaming, and that Data has been temporarily been suspended (in the UK). That means that if you're abroad when you get the data suspension, you'll drop onto the local carrier [1] standard data roaming rates.

[1] Telecos have deals with local carriers to enable their customers to use their handsets in countries where they don't have their own networks. Normally it's by reciprocal arrangements, or by nature of their parent company owning local carriers. e.g O2 is owned by Telefonica, Vodafone is owned by the devil :winky:

When you say "we" who are you talking about , hope you are not going to put the mokas on cals workaround

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I can only speak from my own experience. On "3" "Feel at Home", I can tether my iPad to my iPhone. If I go to web pages, it just stops working. No messages, warnings, threats etc. It just stops.... It's like a block.....
I then just have to switch my iPhone hotspot off, then hotspot on and it starts working again.... My Google Search browsing however does not make it cut off.

This has worked on my "3" in Italy, Ireland, USA, Denmark......... and has not cost me a penny...

However I must disagree on your statement, "Vodafone is owned by the devil".....

Vodafone IS THE DEVIL........:winky:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry I have since read the full story and will give it a try Ta.:thumb:
Watford is a great town and getting better by the day but shush:Smile: dont tell shifty he gets disillusioned living where he does.:winky:

My first ever flat was a Wimpey new build in South Oxhey, my first ever house was a terraced house in Queens Road opposite the Chinese take-away with the main London line at the end of my garden. My first 2 daughters were born in Watford General....:thumb::thumb:

But don't let Shifty know I told you that............:winky::winky:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

I have the same tariff and I agree with what has been said above.

Are you also aware that with Three you can use your minutes, text and some if the data in your plane in the USA, Holland and several other countries. It was great fro me this year when in the USA.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back