Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Been used to the cassette system ..... Well I coped with using rather. Now we have a hymer and it has a completely different system . Can only see the cons at the moment ..... Not used it yet but want to be prepared!!! Do the tank contents just come out as dirty water as I've been told ? Does the toilet paper cause blockages ? Is it easy to use? Is it as bad as I'm expecting??? Not a very savoury subject but a necessity of life as a Motorhomer which is worrying me somewhat! :

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Which model do you have?

From memory, another recent Hymer member has a black tank system that utilises an in-tank macerator pump so that, when emptying, the expunged contents are liquid.

You have FAR higher capacity than a cassette and your emptying time is measured in seconds.

Toilet paper shouldn't cause blockages, although it's advised not to use the quilted stuff.

All you do is park above a manhole cover, remove, and pull a valve. Out it comes. Job done.

You may need an external pump for sites not equipped with sewage manhole covers so that you can empty into a toilet or chemical toilet disposal point, but this should be a rare occurrence.

Please don't despair. You've a very good system. :thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello

we have a Hymer with black tank, possibly the same as yours, ours is an 08 S800, cant tell what you have

Ours has a macerator and a black tank completely separate from the grey water tank, this part will definitely be the same as yours. There will be 2 separate outlets somewhere

Benefits, probably only one

Much bigger capacity tank compared to a cassette, ours is 120 litres

Negatives

When full you have to move, or decant some content to another means of transporting, we have a black bucket and have just bought a cassette unit to use in emergency

Some sites do not have low level emptying points, ie raised elsans, no way to dump to these unless you have a pump on the discharge (unlikely)

We find we need to use more water to flush than you do with a cassette slide and drop device

We are in Derbyshire, not that really makes much difference, I will PM you my mobile number if it helps I can talk you through what we do

Beware of wipes, toilet paper seems to go through well (with plenty of water anyway) blocked ours with flushable wipe, not nice, blocked, fuse went, no toilet use until fuse found and changed, macerator opened and cleaned:Eeek:, actually it wasn't that bad, not as bad as I expected anyway

Not blocked it since, when I posted my issues at the time of my blockage, a useful reply told me that he lets nothing go through his macerator that has not come through his body first!! a bit severe but safe I guess

Good luck

edit, took too long to type and had bloody JW's at door mid reply!! you already have same answers above, we probably were the other poster, our macerator is above the black tank, between toilet and tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Been used to the cassette system ..... Well I coped with using rather. Now we have a hymer and it has a completely different system . Can only see the cons at the moment ..... Not used it yet but want to be prepared!!! Do the tank contents just come out as dirty water as I've been told ? Does the toilet paper cause blockages ? Is it easy to use? Is it as bad as I'm expecting??? Not a very savoury subject but a necessity of life as a Motorhomer which is worrying me somewhat! :

We've got an American RV. These all have black waste tank systems, although a slightly different design to a European one. There are distinct advantages. Between the five of us, we can easily go a 4 day long weekend without filling the tank, meaning we don't even need to dump until we get back. With care, and avoiding curries, we could probably manage a week.

However, dumping at UK/European campsites can be a problem, particularly the more expensive ones where the waste facilities are in a remote block you can't drive up to. However, these difficulties can be overcome if you buy a suitable macerator pump system and 25m of lay flat 1" hose. Then you can pump out pretty much anywhere. It is best to pump out the black waste, and then the grey, so it cleans out the hose. This is easy on RVs as they use the same outlet, but two different valves to control the flow. No idea what it is like on a Hymer.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Hymer black system

Thanks .... What brilliant support! Shows what good value joining is and I'm a total convert already! What a community !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back