Free Member
Nov 17, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
We arrived at the nearly empty C and CC site near Sevenoaks off road today to be asked are you booked, answer no, sorry only booked units accepted. There is a sign at the gate, there wasn't. End of discussion, no reason givern. I contacted customer service to see if there was a problem on the site, not that they were aware of. They put forward the possibility of a group coming in ( it would have had to be a very large group) but stated the manager could have said so or givern some explanation. Customer service were good and offered to help find a site, to late after a long drive from the north of England I went to the CCC at Bearsted. I like the C andCC I use their THS and occasional sites. Until today has always lived upto it's name as the Friendly club but not today.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We arrived at the nearly empty C and CC site near Sevenoaks off road today to be asked are you booked, answer no, sorry only booked units accepted. There is a sign at the gate, there wasn't. End of discussion, no reason givern. I contacted customer service to see if there was a problem on the site, not that they were aware of. They put forward the possibility of a group coming in ( it would have had to be a very large group) but stated the manager could have said so or givern some explanation. Customer service were good and offered to help find a site, to late after a long drive from the north of England I went to the CCC at Bearsted. I like the C andCC I use their THS and occasional sites. Until today has always lived upto it's name as the Friendly club but not today.

I like the C&CC, but wouldn't dream of going to one of their club sites. From what I can tell, they're overpriced and run by people with Hitler complexes. The CS sites and THS sites are great. Obviously, we don't need all the facilities the full priced sites have. We just need a field, a tap, a sewer and somewhere to dump rubbish. And the tap and sewer only every 4 days or so.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have used the c&cc sites for some time and invariably find them to be good with good facilities that we will use.
It's unusual to recieve an unfriendly welcome in our experience. You should complain.
I can't recall ever meeting someone with a Hitler complex to be honest.
We also like cl and cs sites and the Ths are great. But we (and plenty of others) sometimes want a nice well organised site with good quality facilities and electric. (im not saying that all cs and cl sites are rubbish btw.. Some are awesome)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've been quite a fan of the Camping and Caravanning Club.... until they introduced the ridiculous pricing policy this year! :Sad:

The only way to find out how much a stay is going to cost is to log in to their website and make a booking, then abandon the reservation once the price has been ascertained. And of course the price is only valid there and then, and may be different next time you check. :Sad:

Yes, yes, I know this is how many commercial airlines and tour operators work (although you don't normally need to go through a 'secure sign-in' process first). BUT, C&CC is supposed to be THE FRIENDLY CLUB, owned by and operated for the benefit of its members.

Perhaps it's the reason the Sevenoaks site wasn't busy when the OP called by. We went to the C&CC site at Priddy / Cheddar earlier in the year. It was the weekend and the weather was perfect - but the site was almost deserted! I wonder why?

Rant over...

Mike

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've been quite a fan of the Camping and Caravanning Club.... until they introduced the ridiculous pricing policy this year! :Sad:

The only way to find out how much a stay is going to cost is to log in to their website and make a booking, then abandon the reservation once the price has been ascertained. And of course the price is only valid there and then, and may be different next time you check. :Sad:

Yes, yes, I know this is how many commercial airlines and tour operators work (although you don't normally need to go through a 'secure sign-in' process first). BUT, C&CC is supposed to be THE FRIENDLY CLUB, owned by and operated for the benefit of its members.

Perhaps it's the reason the Sevenoaks site wasn't busy when the OP called by. We went to the C&CC site at Priddy / Cheddar earlier in the year. It was the weekend and the weather was perfect - but the site was almost deserted! I wonder why?

Rant over...

Mike

Yes, time will tell of course. No doubt they are monitoring their booking levels and revenue very closely and I imagine that the new system will give them a lot of information to enable that. If they find that the sites are not occupied enough then the prices will come down - exactly the same way as airlines operate. Sometimes worth checking for a late booking - I got a really cheap queasyjet flight to Hamburg last week at short notice, simply because the flight was not full.

Cheers and have a great weekend

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not over friendly has been my experience also, the warden on Skye had a black moustache ::bigsmile::winky:

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I fell out with them a few years ago when staying at their Keswick site in the Lake District.
It was when David was having cancer treatment and we had gone for a few days rest and peace and quiet. I stated on my booking disabled but even though there were empty pitches near the shower block they insisted giving us a pitch as far away as possible and suggested we drive up to the facilities if we needed to use them.
We had booked for three nights but stayed only two .I rang customer services on our return and they were very concerned that this had happened and refunded our third night fee but that was the last time we used their sites.
It's some of the wardens that are the problem "they are in charge and you do what they say"

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have ben with the c&cc for almost 15 years we have not renewed our membership this year as we like to tour around a and drop in on sites on speck but now you have to book before you arrive and if you haven your turned a way and the prices have gone to high we mostly wild camp but Frome time to time like to use a sit so we just use privet one's now
bill

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm in 3rd year of C&CC membership, not sure if it'll be the last.

Found most club sites fine. I had a winter seasonal pitch at Moreton. Fine.
Stayed on at least 8 other club sites as well as some CS sites. All great.

Always been friendly only met the Hitler complex twice-- different managers but same site. Devizes. Dogs no longer allowed to run free in the dog field, even tho they have for years.

And has anyone ever tried to post a less than glowing review of. C&CC site? Don't think they print them.

Oh they do--- most recent review on their site. But my negative one wars never printed

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
we have ben with the c&cc for almost 15 years we have not renewed our membership this year as we like to tour around a and drop in on sites on speck but now you have to book before you arrive and if you haven your turned a way and the prices have gone to high we mostly wild camp but Frome time to time like to use a sit so we just use privet one's now

Must have been specific to the site(s) you visited. I just turned up at Hereford a few weeks ago and booked 2 nights without a problem.

Mind you, even though the non-service-pitch area was pretty much empty and stayed that way during my stay, they hadn't lowered the price to try and fill it. So much for the last-minute airline-style pricing benefits for customers.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Must have been specific to the site(s) you visited. I just turned up at Hereford a few weeks ago and booked 2 nights without a problem.

Mind you, even though the non-service-pitch area was pretty much empty and stayed that way during my stay, they hadn't lowered the price to try and fill it. So much for the last-minute airline-style pricing benefits for customers.

Hi Neil, they will eventually alter their pricing model to suit, but need all the data first. Sounds stupid, I know but there you go..........

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Maybe we're heading towards a RyanCamping model.

Offer sites for as little as £1 a night, but when you try book they turn out to be £25, plus £5 for the water, £5 for the EHU, £3 if you want to see grass out of your windows, £1 per visit to the toilets, £3 for a shower, and £10 for a dog.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Like many others my experience of C & CC sites has always been positive. Just arrived at the Rosemarkie site near Inverness to see the dolphins and the welcome could not have been friendlier. Even the dolphins put on a show with one jumping out of the water just below the bridge at Inverness as we crossed it.

Also a nice welcome from the Black Isle brewery this morning on the way here, several bottles of their beer now stashed in the MH. Scotland's only organic brewery apparently.

Mobile phone signal not great for internet but MotorhomeWiFi's MiFi with external aerial getting a good enough signal for MHF use.

Just need the weather to cheer up, which it should do tomorrow.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have always had positive experiences from both club sites. Visited Rosemarkie last year and the wardens then were very helpful also, might be same ones. Love that area, maybe because my Maternal ancestors were Black Isle Mckenzies:Smile:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Like many others my experience of C & CC sites has always been positive. Just arrived at the Rosemarkie site near Inverness to see the dolphins and the welcome could not have been friendlier. Even the dolphins put on a show with one jumping out of the water just below the bridge at Inverness as we crossed it.

Also a nice welcome from the Black Isle brewery this morning on the way here, several bottles of their beer now stashed in the MH. Scotland's only organic brewery apparently.

Mobile phone signal not great for internet but MotorhomeWiFi's MiFi with external aerial getting a good enough signal for MHF use.

Just need the weather to cheer up, which it should do tomorrow.

Brilliant blue sky & 24 degrees on Dartmoor :winky:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Neil, they will eventually alter their pricing model to suit, but need all the data first. Sounds stupid, I know but there you go..........

OK, so they need data to set a baseline, including which sites are doing poorly and could do with a price drop to entice customers.

But I was under the impression that from day 1 they would be altering the prices. From the Link Removed:

One of the most important changes is to allow the Club to react to changing factors such as competition, weather and events by being able to flex prices. This means that some prices may go up but will never exceed the “To” price, but also they may go down below the “From” price meaning even better value for members.
To me, that means they should changing the prices already, speaking as someone who stayed at an almost-empty Rhandirmwyn a few months ago when the freezing weather wasn't exactly pulling the punters in :roflmto:

Having said all that....they're still using other incentive schemes, even if they're not as good as they used to be. Towards the end of May they were offering 15% off any bookings taken in June. Excluding various sites. So maybe you're right....the new scheme isn't up to speed yet and they're having to offer these deals in the meantime. Confusing :Confused:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Brilliant blue sky & 24 degrees on Dartmoor :winky:

Don't remind me, I live a few miles from the park boundary! But the hills in Scotland are better. I've seen pictures of them, although it was reasonably clear when we came through Glencoe - large patches of snow still on the tops, and this is June! My brother told me the snowfall this year was exceptional. Umpteen metres in some places so it is taking its time to melt.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
OK, so they need data to set a baseline, including which sites are doing poorly and could do with a price drop to entice customers.

But I was under the impression that from day 1 they would be altering the prices. From the Link Removed:

To me, that means they should changing the prices already, speaking as someone who stayed at an almost-empty Rhandirmwyn a few months ago when the freezing weather wasn't exactly pulling the punters in :roflmto:

Having said all that....they're still using other incentive schemes, even if they're not as good as they used to be. Towards the end of May they were offering 15% off any bookings taken in June. Excluding various sites. So maybe you're right....the new scheme isn't up to speed yet and they're having to offer these deals in the meantime. Confusing :Confused:

Fair comment - I was trying to see both sides

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Surely if the sign says only accepting booked outfits then it means they are fully booked, at least that has always been my understanding.

Rgds
Bill

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I find the C&CC and the CC sites very overpriced but I usually find the wardens to be friendly but strict.

At a site last year I found a warden arguing with a camper who was washing his van on site using a long hose attached to the drinking water tap (making the tap unusable by other campers) and making the pitch very wet and covered in froth. For the next couple of days this mentally retarded camper went on and on about the warden being a little hitler when in my opinion he had handled the situate very well without any anger or rudeness.

It seem these days that when anyone tries to uphold the rules they are always regarded as in the wrong.

Let's reserve our anger for situations where there is obvious misjustice and not just when we cannot understand the situation. If these people are upholding the club rules then it is the club that is at fault not the poor sod who is probably just doing his job.

In my opinion many campers resort to foul language and abuse at the first signs of difficulty. Road rage and all other forms of rage are all the rage now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back