which bottles? (1 Viewer)

2g2b2

Deleted User
hi all

slowly getting everything together for our trip but people keep telling me that each country has its own gas bottle and the connector for each is different!!!!

is this true? if so how do you deal with it? can you buy a multi adapter type thingy or are there places that will just refill the orig bottle.

experiences pls

thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is possible to get a refill adapter for a standard propane bottle which can be refilled at LPG or autogas stations (buy by the litre) there are add on converters, three in total that then allow you to refill in any country. They must be used with care and you must read and understand the instructions. I use one never had a problem. Other people hate them mine cost me £30 inc postage. Gaslow bottles are not cheap.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Gaslow

We converted last year.

FANTASTIC

We only have an 11kg bottle so we have retained some storage in the gas cupboard.

We fill up at the pumps, have done 6 weeks this summer and not refilled yet, I imagine we'll need about a 5er's worth of LPG to 'top-up' cos the guage still reads green.

Total cost for a DIY fitting was £180, and that was because we needed to buy a £20 drill bit. It's real easy, if you can change your calor or butane bottle when you buy a refill then you can carry out a Gaslow fit.

June

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We converted last year.

FANTASTIC

We only have an 11kg bottle so we have retained some storage in the gas cupboard.

We fill up at the pumps, have done 6 weeks this summer and not refilled yet, I imagine we'll need about a 5er's worth of LPG to 'top-up' cos the guage still reads green.

Total cost for a DIY fitting was £180, and that was because we needed to buy a £20 drill bit. It's real easy, if you can change your calor or butane bottle when you buy a refill then you can carry out a Gaslow fit.

June
Don't be fooled by the gauge, the gas under pressure is liquid when the pressure falls it turns to gas so the gauge will always be green whilst there is some liquid gas. When the last of the liquid gas turns to gas, i.e. just before it is about to run out the pressure drops. The gauge is next to useless.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Don't be fooled by the gauge, the gas under pressure is liquid when the pressure falls it turns to gas so the gauge will always be green whilst there is some liquid gas. When the last of the liquid gas turns to gas, i.e. just before it is about to run out the pressure drops. The gauge is next to useless.

I don't find that. It starts to show yellow well before it's empty giving us time to fill up. I have never seen it go from Green to Red without showing yellow first. :thumb:

It's never let me down yet. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP

2g2b2

Deleted User
thanks all

£180!! is that just for the bottle & conversion kit? i have seen 70 ltr LPG cylinder tanks that fit under van for £225 with fitting kit. think i might go this route, seems like it will be a lot cheaper for long term trip

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
gas bottles!!

Hi Wildman,

can you tell us where you got those refill adaptors?

Also does anyone know if there is a difference between the gas bottles sold in France and those in Portugal/Spain, we're also planning our first winter trip, hoping to be away for several months, we have a French van with French propane bottles.

Thanks, Sue

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Wildman,

can you tell us where you got those refill adaptors?

Also does anyone know if there is a difference between the gas bottles sold in France and those in Portugal/Spain, we're also planning our first winter trip, hoping to be away for several months, we have a French van with French propane bottles.

Thanks, Sue

HERE is one but read the instructions very carefully to ensure you don't over fill the bottle.

All countries seem to have different connectors, but you can buy connectors to allow you to use other countries bottles. Search on ebay under 'LPG adapters'.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
The guage is green untill almost empty because

Attachments

• Gaslow Fuel Gauge.jpg
    Gaslow Fuel Gauge.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 109

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The guage is green untill almost empty because
This is only on the new bottles !! Wildman was right on the older ones :ROFLMAO:

SUE you can buy them from
Link Removed
you will have to also get continetal extension's (ask the seller about £40 for adapter and 2 extensions)and it is best you only fill empty bottles, so use a 2 bottle system ie when 1 is empty put full 1 on, then refill your empty:ROFLMAO: It is very important to follow instructions :thumb: and if you have never filled a gas car etc, go to a lpg filling station and watch/ask someone filling there car as it is un nerving the first time :thumb::ROFLMAO:There is a lot of rubbish about fillers for you to read on forums (mainly by people who have never used one)but once you have one they are the best money saving gadgets you will buy saving the cost after 2/3 refills :thumb::thumb:
terry
If un-nerved you do not have to fill to the max permitted ie, 6 kg = 12 ltrs just put 10 or 11 in it is no problem.

Last edited:

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
Question - Can you fit this stuff yourself or does it have to be done by a Corgi fitter and gas tested?

OP
OP

2g2b2

Deleted User
ok, got my 70ltr tank off ebay for £150, now to give it to brother-in-law (coachbuilder by trade) very handy :thumb:just hope it doesnt cost too much now for a remote flush filler cap in side of van. I think were almost there, just trying to decide now whether to get a generator to take along as emergency back-up, have seen them going for around £50-60 on ebay, anybody use one? are they really silent as described?

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Those who advocate buying adaptors on ebay so normal leisure-gas bottles can be filled at autogas dispensers always seem to gloss over the fact that it is not only invariably illegal, but also puts a lot of people in danger in the event that the bottle is overfilled and later starts blowing off at the relief valve - perhaps in the boot or even worse, inside a car.

But like handing a tool to someone without explaining that if they use it incorrectly, it will kill them.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Those who advocate buying adaptors on ebay so normal leisure-gas bottles can be filled at autogas dispensers always seem to gloss over the fact that it is not only invariably illegal, but also puts a lot of people in danger in the event that the bottle is overfilled and later starts blowing off at the relief valve - perhaps in the boot or even worse, inside a car.

But like handing a tool to someone without explaining that if they use it incorrectly, it will kill them.
:ROFLMAO: Perhaps you should not drive ::bigsmile: after all you cannot say that all drivers have passed there test etc,You may have one of them crash into you :Eeek:
If you are unableto follow simple instruction don't do it :Doh::Eeek:
terry

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Perhaps you should not drive after all you cannot say that all drivers have passed there test etc,You may have one of them crash into you

Yes Terry, I recently read on The Times that quite a few of your countrymen are in that exact category - to the tune of some 250 deaths at the hands of unlicensed, unregistered untaxed drivers. I guess you are hoping that you are not the next victim. But I'm talking about the legality and safety of a particular practice - that of filling leisure gas bottles on the forecourt of a service station.

If it is OK, just go and tell the attendant what you are going to do and see if he enables the pump. If part of the instructions from the ebay seller are to pull up so the attendant can't see what you are doing then surely that would sound a warning to most responsible people that any amount of silly emoticons is not going to change.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tony, it is not Ilegal to fill your own bottles see the web page for MTH gas,:winky:only ilegal to refill calor's own bottles because they state only to be refilled by calor.Everyone refers to calor because here they are the biggest well known supplier,if you own your own bottles you can fill them.
Here when we watch tv most of the uninsured drivers seam to be either druggies or imports,(that is not to say all)that is our government's fault,unlike yours (aussie)ours lets anyone in here:ROFLMAO:sorry different debate :Doh::ROFLMAO:
terry
edit, I have had the owner of a garage watch me fill a bottle and ask where I got the filler from,he thought it great and wanted one,Probably to refill the gas bottles he sold hee hee

Last edited:

2escapees

Deleted User
Just give up with Propane or Butane and switch to LPG I have just completed a 5 month trip to Beijing and back and got LPG in Italy, Turkey, China and Russia with out any problems. The solution is available from Gaslow!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
butane and propane are lpg. liquid petroliem gas. i think you mean auto gas .just get a fill up gadget then fill at garages n gas yards. last caller isconfused . you can fill any bottle if you get the right adaptor.butane, propane or autogas . all works just use the regulator to fit your bottle dont worry about different regulators.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back