Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Off away at the end of the year and would like a solar Panal, I've been through pages of info and none the wiser other than 100 or 120 would/should do me as I could be parked up for a little time. All the jargon about needing this and that and you need to do this that is wasted on me, can anyone recommend and give me links to what's needed please a all in one kit for DIY would be brill. Looked at loads on eBay etc but wouldn't know the difference between them.
Do you need more info
Thanks a lot
Dave

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Www.sunstore.co.uk

Loads of kits and good quality. I bought a 80w suitcase. Does the job just attach it to you battery terminals when you park up. Or you can buy permanently fitted kits.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
One bit of advice! Don't buy a complete kit, usually the solar controllers in the kits are el cheapo, you will pay more but buy a MPPT controller, they are more efficient on getting the last amp from the panel,
I have use flexible panels bonded straight to the roof, again a bit more expensive but easy to fit with no screws going into the roof, and the panels being lower than the roof rails are more protected from trees,
Use good quality wiring 4 mm minimum or 6 mm if a long run,
I fitted three100 w panels with all their kit in an afternoon so it's quite an a easy job, just a bit of common sense is needed::bigsmile:
Well that's my personnel opinion on the subject, :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Oh no there's loads of em, this one gets good reviews,
Broken Link Removed
Any thoughts ??
Ta Dave

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Broken Link Removed
Any thoughts ??
Ta Dave

Looks like exactly the same product as the one from Sunstore.
Have been thinking of buying the exact same one ourselves - so welcome any comments from others.
Don't really want one nailed to the roof, as our motorhome is under warranty, and dealer wants £700 to supply install

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Busman, I bought nearly all my kit from Sunstore, great bunch and as quoted above - excellent quality kit plus the guys are on the end of the phone if needed, great customer support.
:thumb:
Here is the thread and although it meanders a little it will show you how I used and fitted the kit supplied by Sunstore. I have to say that we have never used hook-up since and always have ready power, wired as I have done it even the light in the morning is enough to replenish the batteries from the night before.
If you need any help then there are some good lads on here (inc myself ::bigsmile:) who can help - shame you are not a little closer as I would love to do more of them - I really enjoyed it.
Anyway, here is the link, worth a look as I went through all the 'issues' you are going through.
Hope it helps.
Broken Link Removed
Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi dave, I got the portable panel you posted the link to. it comes with a pwm controller fitted to the panel and for what it is ie a portable panel ,seema like a good bit of kit.
having said that I think your needs would be better suited with a fixed panel and one a bit bigger than 80w. don't think the portable would be as easy to fit to the van as the controller is fitted to the back of the panel .
if we are at the misterton meet you can have a look at it ,but still think you would be better fixing permanently to van if you can.
ta andy

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Dave my advise would be to read up as much as possible, there are so many things to consider, its best to understand it all first then come up with a system that suits your needs
pete

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Busman, I bought nearly all my kit from Sunstore, great bunch and as quoted above - excellent quality kit plus the guys are on the end of the phone if needed, great customer support.
:thumb:
Here is the thread and although it meanders a little it will show you how I used and fitted the kit supplied by Sunstore. I have to say that we have never used hook-up since and always have ready power, wired as I have done it even the light in the morning is enough to replenish the batteries from the night before.
If you need any help then there are some good lads on here (inc myself ::bigsmile:) who can help - shame you are not a little closer as I would love to do more of them - I really enjoyed it.
Anyway, here is the link, worth a look as I went through all the 'issues' you are going through.
Hope it helps.
Broken Link Removed
Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

What amp MPPT controller did you use ?
Saw this on fleabay
Broken Link Removed

I have room for 2 x 100w panels on my roof so would be a similar install to yours, I am looking for a place to mount the controllers etc as my cupboard is to the rear of the van and my leisure batteries are under the front seats and I have read that the distance should be as close to the batteries as possible ?
Read your thread great job done btw
Any other tips greatly appreciated

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Dave my advise would be to read up as much as possible, there are so many things to consider, its best to understand it all first then come up with a system that suits your needs
pete
That's it tho Pete I've read pages and pages but still don't no which would suit,
I've more hair on my moustache than my head so don't need curlers/hair dryer and I've told the dog to leave it's scooby do DVDs behind so the only thing I can see needing power for is a bit of music and radio, lights are LED's but can see me using them mutch.
Dave:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
watt ever you chose don't forget connect the panels to the controller last or you will do watt I done fry the controller
bill

Last edited:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Broken Link Removed
Any thoughts ??
Ta Dave

I used Photonic-Universe when I fitted mine. he was very helpful and it was easy to do. his prices were better than most to. I would go for the biggest size you can. I once tried a 50 watt one and soon realised I need double that. I now have 130 watts and find that to be about right for my needs. I like to tour France so the longest I would stop is about 3 days although in summer I could easily go a week on solar. I tend to use TV with a sat, fan (endless breeze) when its hot. charging laptop and phone and the hab stuff in the van. all powered with two 75 amp batteries connected to the solar. If I was intending to be on solar for longer I might up the amps on the batteries, Partly depends on the weather. I have never yet had an issue when relying on solar. In Winter time I don't rely on solar and use a gennie as a back up. I have webasto heating which hammers the batteries. If I had more time in the van I would consider a batt to batt charger for the winter and abandon the gennie.

regards Steve

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Dave, I am not technical at all, but quite practical so! I would say definitely go for the one fitted to the roof, once there you can forget it, where as the suitcase needs carriage lifting in and out and security, we have had both and would go for the roof one every time.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
This is my order from Bimble Solar, its cheaper still if you pay direct into his bank (I will next time) No problems with anything, quick delivery and good kit it works very well and easy to install.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
220W Yingli used solar panels, our cheapest price ever at 40p/Watt
Item Number yingli220W £94.74 GBP 1 £94.74 GBP
20A 12v/24v MPPT charge Controller
Item Number 20amppt £84.21 GBP 1 £84.21 GBP
MC4 Connectors - Pair
Item Number MC4 £2.10 GBP 2 £4.20 GBP
Shipping, Handling, Discounts & Taxes
£37.20 GBP 1 £37.20 GBP
Subtotal £220.35 GBP
Total £220.35 GBP
Payment £220.35 GBP