Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Evenin' all.

I have a 'Myguide' satnav which I bought about 5 years ago - it's a Binatone under another name... no complaints at all apart from sometimes taking a while to pick up a satellite.
I know all about the various offerings on the market now - quite fancy one of the 7" chinese 'hgv' ones, not bothered about size/weight/speed camera locations etc. - just want to be able to find an address when needed, in other words not interested in all the fancy toys/bluetooth/entertainment gubbins.
Must have Europe maps. And no updating costs.
I'm looking to get another satnav purely so as not to have to keep moving the present one from vehicle to vehicle...

So, would be interested to hear anyone's comments on their choice. Under about £100.

:thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have a smartphone (iphone or Android) you can buy apps with on-board maps. I have used Sygic for a few years now and you can get the whole of Europe for £25. Free updates of maps and software forever as far as I can see. So far in the 5 years I have had it they have updated to entirely new versions of software 3 times and countless versions of the software and maps all free.

And you can have it on 3 different devices (for Android - not sure about iOS). I have it on my phone and tablet. And when you upgrade the phone you can put it on the new one (as long as it uses the same OS).

TomTom and copilot are other apps you could also use.

You will need to buy yourself a mount to hold the phone. Cheap enough for windscreen ones, but I prefer Brodit dash mounted ones which are designed specifically for your model of car.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'd have no hesitation in getting one of the Chinese ones for the car. The one in the van is great. They are available withot the HGV section.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
cheap satnav

i have got to endorse my chinese sat nav best £39 i have ever spent mine is the truck lorry version and my only complaint is that since it thinks i am a forty ton truck my strict lady enforcer keeps telling me YOU ARE OVER THE SPEED LIMIT i keep shouting back that i am a motorhome but seems to make no difference two minutes later same message!!!!!1 but apart from that it is flawless i have just returned from a three week trip to VENICE via holland germany austria then lake garda then to venice then back to the italian swiss border to catch up with the cycle tour of italy and it goes to some very obscure places right of the beaten track and all i did there was to put in the names of the passes (cols) like val martello for instance places that are not even on my maps and sure enough it would take me there with fantastic accuracy finding obscure campsites no problem and the bonus is a life time of free maps easily uploaded and if you do take the wrong road it recalculates instantly getting you onto a alternative route within seconds its an amazing piece of kit bearing in mind the cost i can only advise anyone looking for a new satnav wether on a budget or not to buy without hesitation. THIS PIECE OF KIT CAN FIND THE NEEDLE IN THE PROVERBIAL HAYSTACK. jt

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
If you have a smartphone (iphone or Android) you can buy apps with on-board maps. I have used Sygic for a few years now and you can get the whole of Europe for £25. Free

Hey, what about Blackberry!!!!!

I have the latest Blackberry Z30 and it is by far and away the best smartphone I've ever had.

I use an app on Blackberry called NavFree3 and the price is as good as you can get. It is FREE ::bigsmile:

Not only does it work in the UK and Europe (as well as a zillion other places), but it does it offline so there's no hefty data roaming charges.

I have a seriously expensive Kenwood in the motorhome (big mistake) that has a Garmin satnav built in, but I have to say that NavFree3 on the Blackberry is streets ahead in so many ways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hey, what about Blackberry!!!!!

I have the latest Blackberry Z30 .

ohh well.. you weren't to know were you .. :Doh:

and guess what..