Bath Newton Mill site - no more touring pitches? (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've never actually managed to use this site, but it looks like the site is turning into holiday lodges-only.

Broken Link Removed

Owners of the Newton Mill holiday park, off Whiteway Road, have unveiled plans to transform the 42 acre site, replacing the 167 pitches the site has for caravans and tents with 64 holiday lodges.

Darwin Ltd, which owns Newton Mill, along with 13 other holiday sites across the country, also wants to demolish a shower block and upgrade the park’s bar and restaurant.

In 2012 the owners were given permission to replace 28 caravan pitches at the park with 16 static caravans.
This does seem to be a trend. When I stopped over at the the Christchurch "Camping In The Forest" site in the Forest of Dean early this year, it was being transformed into a C&CC site and I wasn't allowed to pitch in a lot of the areas because they were marked out for new holiday lodges.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Went there once, quite nice but the only time I've not been able to get level even with millenco quattro's. There was an rv next to us with his levelling legs at maximum extension.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We've used it a few times when we were using tents and found it to be a lovely site.

The pitches were level and flat and it was in a lovely location. So easy for gettng into Bath by car, bus or cycling.

We'd planned on taking Udo there this summer, but it doesn't look like that's possible now.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never actually managed to use this site, but it looks like the site is turning into holiday lodges-only.

sign of the times.. more and more people are deciding to stay in the UK for holidays.. and there is a lot more money in letting lodges (garden sheds) than letting bits of grass .. guaranteed income, all year..

it's all glamping, fully serviced pitches, lodges, static caravans.. :Sad:

I'm afraid the days of camping in farmer Brown's field are all but over..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is a pity the planning authorities don't insist on a minimum percentage of touring pitches. This sort of development is essentially building houses but using the rules around mobile homes to build where otherwise they would be refused permission if they tried to build something more solid.

However, it is very common now. Many sites in France are sprouting lots of sheds.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
"However, it is very common now. Many sites in France are sprouting lots of sheds."

Indeed. The first camping experience in France can leave you with fond memories. But I counsel against anyone revisiting the site to reminisce. I did it and was depressed by rows upon rows of soulless sheds, where once there were tents, caravans and motorhomes sociably intermingled. What was worse was realising the site owner was probably all the more rich for it.

And yesterday in order to help someone with a site recommendation, I looked up on Google Maps satellite view a past nice site - but, yup, rows upon rows of sheds now :-(

Regarding the Bath site, personally it is no great loss. The location was handy - bike and bus into the city - but it was expensive even in the off-season, and full of long-termers and women in a nightdress, dressing gown and giant gold loop earrings wandering the site up to lunchtime.

Dave

Last edited:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We've used it a few times when we were using tents and found it to be a lovely site.

The pitches were level and flat and it was in a lovely location. So easy for gettng into Bath by car, bus or cycling.

We'd planned on taking Udo there this summer, but it doesn't look like that's possible now.:Sad:

We've stayed there too and it is a lovely site. Very easy to pick up the cycle path that leads you to Bristol and easy access into Bath city centre. Shame it's closing as we intended visiting again.

Rob & Lee

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm definitely referring to Newton Mill.

Bath Marina is somewhere we've never been to, but it does look nice.:thumb:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry to seem argumentative but I have a feeling you might be thinking of the Bath Marina campsite rather than Newton Mill.

JJ :Cool:

No, Newton Mill is where we stayed - we went to have a look at the Marina Campsite, might try there next time. From the back of the Newton Mill site you can follow a track that leads to main road, cross over, find path that leads direct onto cycle track, easy.

Rob

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Whoops again!

Sorry, Rob and Lee.

It was the cycle track and bus into town that made me make the mistake.

The Bath Marina has a site gate which opens directly onto the cycle path to the city centre and across the road (accessible via a footpath) is the Park and Ride, non stop bus direct to Bath's shops...

JJ :Cool:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We made the mistake of staying there when it was "family owned" The walk to the bus stop was like climbing Everest, the bar restaurant was supposed to be opened thurs fri sat, we went, bar closed, went to reception, Bar opening when? The family member responsible didn't turn up!
Hey Man! Family owned ? yeh? so why don't another member step in and open up?
We've already done our shift!
While F*** you pal we are out of here! Even went as far as getting our money back from Visa!
And to top it all Bath was one big building site, the attractions were a rip off, and don't even get me started on the "Roman Remains"!!!
Never going there again!

Will not even drive through!!! Use it as an Atomic testing ground for all I care!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back