Air assisted rear suspension (5 Viewers)

Geoff 2110

Free Member
Apr 26, 2014
benfleet
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since
Hi new to this site and would like some advice. We have a 2002 Swift Sundance 630g on a Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd. We would like to fit rear air suspension, is it worth doing, if so which is the best one to fit

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
In my humble opinion yes
Why well a few reasons I prefer it
Better handling into corners
The ride height can be lifted by increasing pressure giving more ground clearance at rear this will give better load transfer from rear to front so keeping axel loadings more balanced and in soft ground blowing it up to max pressure put more weight on front axel giving far more traction
When running fully loaded its a far better ride no rear axel hitting bump stops
When loaded to max Headlights will not be shinning up so it looks like you are on full beam
This one is purely my opinion if air suspension is set to correct pressure when loaded it puts less stress on side walls of rear tyres
As for setting pressures to start with it's all trail and error till you find the right set up for you

We now run at
30 psi light load (weekending)
40 to 50 psi med load a(a week away)
50 to 60 max load (2 /3 weeks away)
80 psi when running over loaded (3 months in morocco Elaine's shoes and wine enough food for a army full water tanks and my booze )

It totally changed our van and I consider it money well spent £450 or there a outs

Plus when running grossly overloaded like most of us do at some time it levels van out so local plod and VOSA can tell at a glance

But don't listen to me I talk bull and no one listens anyway

Do it

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi new to this site and would like some advice. We have a 2002 Swift Sundance 630g on a Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd. We would like to fit rear air suspension, is it worth doing, if so which is the best one to fit
I recommend the kit from marcle leisure for under £500. will take any mechanic an hour to fit. makes a huge difference to the drivability of a motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Second Big1s recommendation - fitted myself and it's superb, just wish I did it long ago.
Go for it for all the above reasons.

Trikeman. :winky:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
In my humble opinion yes
Why well a few reasons I prefer it
Better handling into corners
The ride height can be lifted by increasing pressure giving more ground clearance at rear this will give better load transfer from rear to front so keeping axel loadings more balanced and in soft ground blowing it up to max pressure put more weight on front axel giving far more traction
When running fully loaded its a far better ride no rear axel hitting bump stops
When loaded to max Headlights will not be shinning up so it looks like you are on full beam
This one is purely my opinion if air suspension is set to correct pressure when loaded it puts less stress on side walls of rear tyres
As for setting pressures to start with it's all trail and error till you find the right set up for you

We now run at
30 psi light load (weekending)
40 to 50 psi med load a(a week away)
50 to 60 max load (2 /3 weeks away)
80 psi when running over loaded (3 months in morocco Elaine's shoes and wine enough food for a army full water tanks and my booze )

It totally changed our van and I consider it money well spent £450 or there a outs

Plus when running grossly overloaded like most of us do at some time it levels van out so local plod and VOSA can tell at a glance

But don't listen to me I talk bull and no one listens anyway

Do it

Sorry to disagree but there are a couple of glaring errors in your statements:

" The ride height can be lifted by increasing pressure giving more ground clearance at rear this will give better load transfer from rear to front so keeping axel loadings more balanced and in soft ground blowing it up to max pressure put more weight on front axel giving far more traction"

Increasing the rear ride height will not affect load transfer and will not improve front traction at all!

"This one is purely my opinion if air suspension is set to correct pressure when loaded it puts less stress on side walls of rear tyres"

The load on the tyre sidewalls is purely the mass of the vehicle resting on those tyres, altering ride height or changing suspension systems does not alter the mass of the vehicle so the load on the tyres sidewalls is exactly the same. Air suspension can reduce impact loadings slightly though, such as when driving over potholes by allowing more compliance in axle movement.

D.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have what I presume to be the simplest possible system, it was already fitted when we got out current MH, so I can't give any feedback on before / after

I needs a compressor attaching to individual valves one for each side in the cab, we carry a 12V air pump which does the job, I have tried running at various different pressures and can't tell the difference between them

If I was fitting from new for myself I would prefer an automatic system, (built in compressor at least) but don't know how much more that would add to the price

On rough ground we suffer quite violent left to right rocking when moving, not sure if this is a function of the air suspension

I have a theory that once someone has spent a big lump of money on something they are typically always full of praise for it, so as not to feel bad about wasting money.

But I would (probably will) upgrade mine to a more automatic version which I hope will self level when pitched, within reason

Opinion only of course, do not invest or not on my word

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm just awaiting delivery of a Dunlop air assist kit so that I can uprate the vehicle to 3850 kg. When speaking with SV tech they suggested I save my money and use just the basic system as once set nearly all people don't adjust it very much.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've just ordered the full moo from Conrad Anderson for Udo's rear end.

The one thing I've asked for (not confirmed as yet) is an air tank coupled to an external air line for MH tyres, bike tyres, etc.

I don't know if having in-cab controls are a good thing or not, but my decision was based on, say, driving along a motorway and feeling the need to stop and manually inflate the 'bags for added stability.

Time will tell if having air assist proves worthwhile or not. It had better be!!!

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We are having the Dunlop kit from Marcle fitted to our M/Home today so we can uprate the rear axle by 100kgs. I know it doesn't sound a lot but it will make the Motorhome useable as the rear axle had only 10kg spare when in running mode and we will uprate from 3000kg to 3300kg once done.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Are there any recommended pressures for air suspension. I put about 20 psi in mine but that's not based on anything scientific other than the Van tends to crash down over potholes, level crossings etc at anything higher. I have read that air suspension is an advantage on older MH's where the suspension springs and shockers are getting a bit tired therefore acting as an assist to them.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Are there any recommended pressures for air suspension. I put about 20 psi in mine but that's not based on anything scientific other than the Van tends to crash down over potholes, level crossings etc at anything higher. I have read that air suspension is an advantage on older MH's where the suspension springs and shockers are getting a bit tired therefore acting as an assist to them.

Trial and error was the advice that I got...... Will try about 20 -30 psi first when I get around to fitting it

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rosie and I have just fitted the Marcle Units ( Dunlop ) ,:thumb:

Really good informative service " EXCELLENT " , from them .::bigsmile:

( Can we get Funster Discount set up Jim ? ::bigsmile: )

For our , 7 meter, 3500kg Transit based Fendt £ 514, including the gauge unit with the Left / Right filler taps .( fitted quotes by various companies were around £700 )

It took around 4 hours , (jacking , packing , decipering the drawings :Doh:, etc )of crawling around under the MH ,and a week to get over it :ROFLMAO:

We ran the air pipes in hose pipe from the rear axle into the cab and across the chassis of the van between the 2 units ,

The gauge unit is mounted on the door pillar behind the driving seat so it can be filled from inside the MH , ( Rosie has been trained to do this :Cool:)

We also fitted a 12 volt socket behind the seat to plug the compressor in and also use it for phone charger etc ,

The ride is definately a lot lot better and more stable , :Cool:

Virtually no rock when passed by large container lorries ,
dose not seesaw on undulating roads / tracks, so traction is better
dose not rock n roll when getting in / out of the van / moving around

from zero to 10 psi the tow bar went up 2 inches
each 10 psi after lifts the tow bar by 1/2 inch

We are running at 40 psi ( see pete n Elaine post ) :thumb:
we were with P n E in Morocco and his ability to vary the suspension was really usefull
and gave us a good insite as to its use ,prompting us to buy ours ,

Our units fit to the axle about 6 inches in from the spring (some mount on top of the spring ),
so it does not make much hight difference on filling the left / right bellows for leveling :Doh:

Hope this Helps :RollEyes:
Graham

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Sorry to disagree but there are a couple of glaring errors in your statements:

" The ride height can be lifted by increasing pressure giving more ground clearance at rear this will give better load transfer from rear to front so keeping axel loadings more balanced and in soft ground blowing it up to max pressure put more weight on front axel giving far more traction"

Increasing the rear ride height will not affect load transfer and will not improve front traction at all!

"This one is purely my opinion if air suspension is set to correct pressure when loaded it puts less stress on side walls of rear tyres"

The load on the tyre sidewalls is purely the mass of the vehicle resting on those tyres, altering ride height or changing suspension systems does not alter the mass of the vehicle so the load on the tyres sidewalls is exactly the same. Air suspension can reduce impact loadings slightly though, such as when driving over potholes by allowing more compliance in axle movement.

D.

As I quoted I know nothing
So we will agree to disagree
45 years in plant and transport as a fitter and heavy haul driver shot
O well

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
air suspension

Hi Geoff 2110
Have P.M. you. cutfinger

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Geoff, you won't regret it for sure.

On our set-up (Ducato 2.8, 7.4 meter 6 berth Autotrail Apache SE) we have, after much experimenting, settled on 45 psi as our loaded 'running' pressure. At that we find little or no truck/coach buffeting on motorways, cornering especially on roundabouts is at another dimension (superb), towing greatly improved due to much more stability/height and the ability to level off once parked is superb - also as quoted, a good by-product is the reduced 'rocking' when parked up. The ability to lift or lower the rear is a great bonus for ferry and steep 'drive' inclines too. Went to a wedding in ours recently and the sudden incline to the venue (stately home) would have normally prevented us getting in, but a few more psi, up she went and in we go.
:thumb:

Long after the impact of the cost has been forgotten, the quality of the ride and additional benefits can be enjoyed for years - you will wonder how you ever managed before and if you buy a similar MoHo later you can transfer it too.
::bigsmile:

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Air springs used for rear suspension applications are designed to enhance the handling performance and stability of your vehicle by supplementing your vehicle's existing suspension system.

Benefits:
Levels vehicle when you are hauling heavy loads
Increases front wheel traction, improving steering and vehicle balance
Levels headlights, thereby increasing visibility
Enhances braking and handling, even in adverse road conditions
Can be adjusted to accommodate varying loads
Reduces rear-tire wear

Reduces stress resulting from extra weight on vehicle's rear suspension
Reduces rear vehicle sag
Provides an additional contact point for suspension system, distributing the load evenly

Provides additional vehicle stability
Enhances the ride of the vehicle
Prevents bottoming out
Adjustable springs can be individually inflated to balance out and redistribute uneven vehicle loads

Types of Kits Used in Rear Applications

From firestone site

Oooooopppppssss I know nothing

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Air springs used for rear suspension applications are designed to enhance the handling performance and stability of your vehicle by supplementing your vehicle's existing suspension system.

Benefits:
Levels vehicle when you are hauling heavy loads
Increases front wheel traction, improving steering and vehicle balance
Levels headlights, thereby increasing visibility
Enhances braking and handling, even in adverse road conditions
Can be adjusted to accommodate varying loads
Reduces rear-tire wear

Reduces stress resulting from extra weight on vehicle's rear suspension
Reduces rear vehicle sag
Provides an additional contact point for suspension system, distributing the load evenly

Provides additional vehicle stability
Enhances the ride of the vehicle
Prevents bottoming out
Adjustable springs can be individually inflated to balance out and redistribute uneven vehicle loads

Types of Kits Used in Rear Applications

From firestone site

Oooooopppppssss I know nothing

I think the bit of your original post that was most misleading was the statement about transferring load from the rear to the front, and to be fair that is not backed up by your quote from Firestone. It is simple mechanics and you would need to raise the rear a few metres not a few centimetres to have this affect.

Martin

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Quick question

Does anyone know/think that fitting air suspension to a tag axle MH would have any benefit, apart from being able to raise and lower the vehicle ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back