Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Nicked from somewhere else!:Blush:

--------------------------------------

It will be of interest to anyone who thought that their licence lasted until they were 70.

"Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photo card licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.

They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as the they start to expire.

Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding.

With another 300,000 photo card licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Lost the paper part of mine and when i went to notify them of change of address (FOC) they charged me £17.50 as i had lost the paper part:Doh::RollEyes:

What a rip off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Check this out:
Renewing your driving licence at 70 plus : Directgov - Motoring

and this one:
The photocard driving licence explained : Directgov - Motoring

check the date at 4b on your photocard licence

Is your info verifiable Peter?

Dunno found it on the dark side who found it on another forum! But then your link says, and knowing this Government, I doubt if they know where there a***hole is anyway.

Date of licence issue, photo expiry, issuing authority (4)
The date shown in 4a is the date the photo is valid from. 4b shows either the date the photo expires (driving entitlement is valid until 70th Birthday) or the date entitlement expires (medically restricted and over 70 licences). The authority that issued the licence is shown in 4c ie DVLA.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have to admit this is news to me!

But as i have a paper licence as well, and am required by law to keep that plus present it along with my photocard licence if requested by the Police, i'm just wondering why should i bother about my photocard licence?

My paper licence was issued as permanent.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
On radio Four the other day that paper licence is being replaced by the new type by 2009 and this is for everyone, they were blaming the EU but it's all about id, isn't it?

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past

It will be of interest to anyone who thought that their licence lasted until they were 70.

"Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photo card licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.

They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as the they start to expire.

Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding.

With another 300,000 photo card licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

Thanks for an interesting post. You are right. The writing on the back is tiny. Won't be sad to see the back of my Dierdre Barlow specs though...

Lucille:Blush:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
On radio Four the other day that paper licence is being replaced by the new type by 2009 and this is for everyone, they were blaming the EU but it's all about id, isn't it?
No problem with that if thats what UK Gov eventually decide. My photocard licence was issued free of charge. I'd suggest they keep it that way.......permanently.

As others have already stated, the ten year renewal of photocard licences is nothing other than a stealth tax. I'm beginning to wonder just how much more people in this country are prepared to put up with the blatant greed, theft, dishonesty and deception of Government before they take matters into their own hands?

November 5th isn't so far away. :Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
My previous photo licence read till 2024 on both sides when I will be 70, now its only valid till 2018 which is 10 year from it issue so by changing my address they have pinched 6 years from it's life.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My previous photo licence read till 2024 on both sides when I will be 70, now its only valid till 2018 which is 10 year from it issue so by changing my address they have pinched 6 years from it's life.

just to add daughter got a reminderin august her photo licence needed renewing in october 2008 £17.50 plus a photo
please hurry up gordons on his uppers

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
yet another stealth tax, yet onother directive from Europe, who won the bloody war anyway, is this what our parents gave their lives for. My father would be turning in his grave. Time for a revolution bothers. (and Sisters):Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I'm with you on the revolution Roger... first link to be severed with Europe...the Monarchy

Ps can we keep the Euro please:winky:

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I think I'll go back to using my little red book!
Just checked mine and it expires in 2012! Had it not been for this post I would have assumed it ran until my 70th!
Just told the missus and, without prompting said 'What a rip off!'
She still has the old paper one which doesn't expire!

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
I've just had to apply for a photo licence due to a change of address, I thought it was too good to be true when I wasn't asked for any money up front!

It's a bit like the water authority putting in meters FOC with the option to revert to the previous pricing structure, but the next occupant of the property is obliged to use the meter:Angry:

However, with my photcard, by the time it expires, I would have needed a new one anyway:Sad:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

When you get to 70 renewal is every 3 years. :Eeek:

Didn't have to pay when I renewed at 70, wonder if they will charge at next renewal? :whatthe:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I've just had to apply for a photo licence due to a change of address, I thought it was too good to be true when I wasn't asked for any money up front!

It's a bit like the water authority putting in meters FOC with the option to revert to the previous pricing structure, but the next occupant of the property is obliged to use the meter:Angry:

However, with my photcard, by the time it expires, I would have needed a new one anyway:Sad:

Don't loose the paper bit or you'll be charge in a future transaction with them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back