Offline mapping program (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been looking for an offline mapping program which you can easily load poi's into, I bought Autoroute which does the job, but is soooooooo clunky, redraw is painfully slow. I have tried one or two free ones but adding poi's seems a bit convoluted. Navigator free by mapfactor is good but I can't find anyway to load poi's.

Anybody got any favourites.

Ian

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Been looking for an offline mapping program which you can easily load poi's into, I bought Autoroute which does the job, but is soooooooo clunky, redraw is painfully slow. I have tried one or two free ones but adding poi's seems a bit convoluted. Navigator free by mapfactor is good but I can't find anyway to load poi's.

Anybody got any favourites.

Ian

AutoRoute is usually very quick? I don't have a problem with mine & it's the best I've found.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Mapswithme? I uze it to keep a record of aires & stopovers we use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sorry guys should have said for a PC running windows 8.1. When I said redraw was slow I meant as you move the map it doesn't move smoothly, also when you zoom in or out it takes time to redraw the screen. Others I looked seem much better. Computer is a Lenovo Ultrabook with an i7 processor, so I don't think its the computer.

Ian

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Sorry guys should have said for a PC running windows 8.1. When I said redraw was slow I meant as you move the map it doesn't move smoothly, also when you zoom in or out it takes time to redraw the screen. Others I looked seem much better. Computer is a Lenovo Ultrabook with an i7 processor, so I don't think its the computer.

Ian

I suspect there's a problem some where else as my MS 2013 runs fine. Smooth transitions and zoom function works fine. The only issue I have is hat my GPS locator does not work with Win 8 so I'm still using Win 7 on an old laptop when touring. What I really like is the independence from having to have a net connection.

Personally, I find MS autoroute really functional and far easier to use when scanning maps and routes than my TomTom. POI's are easy to find on the net and easy to install. Personal Poi's can be produced easily and saved as any other data.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Mapswithme? I uze it to keep a record of aires & stopovers we use.

Another vote for this one from me. Very useful to be able to load .klm files with all it's POI's right onto it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Ian

Worth checking your video chip has the right drivers and is working correctly.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have autoroute on my PC and would like something similar for my Android-based Samsung Galaxy. I've tried a few from the app store but none that seem so easy to use. Any suggestions?

Wyn

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have Autoroute 2013 on my laptop running windows 8.1 and it works fine, never tried any others so can't offer any comparisons :Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Checked the display drivers and it looks like I have the latest versions. It not un-usable, just not as smooth as google maps.

Ian

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
How many POIs are you loading? I,ve found that having too many POI files open at the same time slows my netbook down - I keep different categories in different files and only activate the ones I'm using.

Also I think it's possible to reduce the detail displayed but not sure how.

Terry

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Road atlas and a felt tip pen works for me.......:Blush:

Isle satnavs all the time when in car/van and the more they are used the less they are trusted..... The car has a built in one and the van has both copilot on the phone and navgate. I don't think you can add poi's to either very easily so they may not be the right ones

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
We use Autoroute for both mapping and Navigating. I find that if I use one of the larger POI files with a route containing quite a few stopovers on the route it can slow my netbook down. My answer to this is to to hide some of the POI elements by right clicking and selecting 'hide pushpin set' this cuts down the amount of information the graphics need to reposition as the vehicle moves.
Second solution is, making sure you are using a copy of your main POI file, right click and mouse draw rectangles round areas that you will not be going anywhere near. Right click within that box and delete the visible pushpins in that box. You can also draw round the area you want and then delete everything else. This will really clear out the clutter and you will notice the difference but do make sure you are using a copy of your main file.
Great program we use nothing else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back