LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
went to my grandsons football preentation at bawtry toay, around 3:15 there was a loud raw in the ske and I caught a V winded plane disapering into the cloud cover, was it the Doncaster Vulcan?

Im not sure, but an 1 hour or so later I saw it bankingbetween trees, magnificent sight

I whis Id know it was flying tday

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
apparently there were also a couple of B2 stealth bombers out over the uk also this weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Only one left flying out of 134 built B.2 XH558, named "The Spirit of Great Britain" has been restored for use in display flights and air shows. You think RV's use some fuel to fill the main tanks on a Vulcan is 9,280 gal and then on long flights it can take on a reserve of 1990 gallons just in case :Eeek:

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
The Vulcan was at Cosford airshow today :Smile:

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
Saw the Vulcan up close and in the sky back in the sixties I think it was the first showing at Farnborough air show. I can tell you every part of my body shook as it flew low over the show when they opened the the throttles and went vertical what a noise iv'e still got tinnitus LOL what a plane!

Cap't

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Opened this thinking it was about a new model of Motorhome..

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Vulcan Bomber

The Vulcan is displaying at Yeovilton again this year. See Broken Link Removed for more details. Overnight available virtually on site. If you are thinking of going have a look at the Swordfish enclosure to get right on the display line. Pre-order tickets to save. Personal interest on this one, family member heavily involved in organisation

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNV4yv8N4mA"]Awesome Vulcan Bomber Low Fly-By - YouTube[/ame]

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes Brian, I was allowed up XH558's ladder last year at Fairford so saw what it was like. However, it's interesting that they seem to have no shortage of pilots for her... so they must enjoy flying her in spite of the conditions! I certainly would! :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Go to Carlisle and get in one. Incredibly crude, cramped and unsafe, little chance of getting out in an emergency.
You are not wrong Brian.
As an RAF Fireman based at RAF Scampton, Lincs, I was often in the cockpit of a Vulcan, undergoing familiarisation training, and carrying out practice crash rescue procedures with the aircrew. It was extremely crammped indeed. :Sad:

The only ejection seats were those occupied by the pilot and co pilot. The others had to bail out through the door on the underside of the fuselage. Bad for news for them if it belly landed. :whatthe:

Regards,

Jock.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Yes every chance it was the Doncaster Vulcan, a friend of mine lives a Finningley and tells me it's been going up regularly over the last month.. He's a keen photographer so has some amazing pictures :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno what is going on on the yank bases around us at the moment but there has been several fly by's of a couple of what look like Hercules planes today

And they are usually low enough to see all the markings etc..

Do not mind them though.. It is the bloody fighters doing REAL slow fly overs that drive us nuts.. Cannot hear a thing and stuff in the house shakes !!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Used the last time in anger? It was a Vuncan that flew over Stanley at the start of the Falklands conflict and put a hole in the runway so the Argies could not use it.

There is an awesome documentary showing how close they came to failure and how they planned it.

They were still in service when I was in the RAF and it always drew the crowd of admirers.

A bit heavy on Carbon emissions for today's forces I think.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
The Vulcan, like Concorde, despite their ages always gave that "Wow" factor (and in the case of the Vulcan still does!) As a young RAF apprentice in the 60's I had the privelege of getting into the cockpit. Access was via a metal ladder, and up into an incredibly claustrophobic atmosphere. Hardly enough room for the crew amidst an array of instruments, squeezed around the seats. Later in service I was stationed in Lincolnshire just a few miles from Waddington, and for my two young lads, Vulcans were almost an everyday occurrence. And still, the sight never fails to impress. Not so long ago I was visiting Edinburgh and went past the old RAF East Fortune base, now the Scottish Aviation Museum, where they have Vulcan XM597 on display. She flew on one of the Operation Black Buck sorties to the Falklands, and had to divert to Rio when her refuelling probe broke off. She was impounded and kept for 7 days, and the Brazilians got to keep the bombs! Beautiful impressive aircraft that still gives me goose bumps.
Below, a photo from RAF Kinloss Airshow a few years back.

Broken Link Removed

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
they had a static one at Cranwell museum a while back. You could walk underneath it,,, awesome and HUGE:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Back in the early 70s, I was rolling spring corn in the field at the eastern end of Scampton runway. The land is limestone, so the rolls made a lot of noise, rattling on the stones. No cab on the tractor - they were only just being fitted to new ones then. Lovely spring day - sun shining, not a cloud in the sky, not a care in the world.

I was heading west, towards the runway, dodging round the landing lights in the field.

All of a sudden, the sun went in. A Vulcan on a trailing throttle projects almost no sound forwards - certainly not enough to be heard above the noise the ring rolls made. When I looked up to see where the sudden cloud had come from, there was this bl**dy great V-bomber about 20 feet above my head. I could read every stencilled ground crew instruction!

He dropped it right on the end of the runway, but fortunately let it roll a little way before opening everything up to go round again. Quite difficult to breathe in the jet wash from those things.

As you get to the runway end of the field, the landing lights are not much above head hight when you are sitting on a tractor. I hope I'm not betraying state secrets when I tell you that we were called back to that field a couple of months later, shortly before harvest. There was a great swathe of flattened crop, lying away from the runway. We were there to assess the crop damage, but when I looked round, one of the lights was missing from its pole, with a fresh gash in the wood where it had been ripped off.

As you can imagine, I kept a rather better look out after that when I was working in that field!

There were compensations - watching a Vulcan practice slow rolls at 500ft is quite a sight. I'm told the ground crew always knew when somebody had been doing aerobatics in one of those, by the number of rivets that needed replacing when they got it back.

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
Vulcan cockpit

This is the cockpit of the Vulcan on display at Newark Air Museum.

I have a high-res pic 2896 x 1944 pixels, 993Kb if anyone would like a copy emailed to them. Just let me have your email address.

Attachments

• vulcan_cockpit.jpg
    vulcan_cockpit.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 23
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Used the last time in anger? It was a Vuncan that flew over Stanley at the start of the Falklands conflict and put a hole in the runway so the Argies could not use it.

There is an awesome documentary showing how close they came to failure and how they planned it.

They were still in service when I was in the RAF and it always drew the crowd of admirers.

A bit heavy on Carbon emissions for today's forces I think.

And the guy who flew that Vulcan is the pilot who is still flying it now!

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
xh 558 the current display Vulcan was not the plane that bombed the falklands, if memory serves that was xm 607, xl426 wich is kept in ground running condition at southend airport was the raf display Vulcan before xh558.

xm 607 is a gate guard at Waddington now I think.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry should have said that he is the pilot who flies xh558 now...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes Brian, I was allowed up XH558's ladder last year at Fairford so saw what it was like. However, it's interesting that they seem to have no shortage of pilots for her... so they must enjoy flying her in spite of the conditions! I certainly would! :thumb:

So would I but then I would not expect to be shot down.

Deleted User
The Vulcan was the highlight of last years Sunderland air show for me and is a superbly impressive aircraft.

I recently read a book by Commander Nigel 'Sharkey' Ward called "Sea Harrier over the Falklands: A Maverick at War" in which the efficacy of the Vulcan's missions over the Falklands is brought into question to say the least.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back