Three Roaming Data - Includes France (& others) from 1st July (1 Viewer)

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
News from Three on Thursday - As of 1st July France is now included in the ‘Three Like Home’ destinations as well as Finland, Norway and Switzerland.

This means that if you have a Three SIM card, including PAYG mobile broadband deals, you will be able to use your allowance in France exactly the same as if you were in the UK.

You can now use your package in a total of 9 European countries including Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. This is on top of Australia, Hong King, Indonesia, Israel, Macau, Sri Lanka and USA.

On PAYG (not contract) the following packages are available:
£2.99 for 500MB – Valid 24 hours.
£10 for 1GB – Valid 30 days.
£15 for 3GB – Valid 30 days.
£25 for 7GB – Valid 30 days.

Or, just purchase multiple SIM cards and discard the old one once it has been used up :thumb:

It is also possible to purchase a 12Gb SIM card which is valid for 12 months for around £70, however this may be a risk as it only takes one slip up and you could lose all of your data and so in my mind the 30 day deals are better unless you are exceptionally disciplined with your data usage.

We are now able to offer you Three SIM cards. If you already have an unlocked MiFi device, you can purchase a SIM card to go in it. You can get these from Amazon for around £9.28 or we have them for £8.71 including delivery. Links below:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047GJI9W/?tag=mhf04-21
Broken Link Removed

The Small Print:
Three Like Home doesn’t include tethered usage - so you can’t use your phone as a hotspot, you would need a mobile broadband SIM in a MiFi device. There is a maximum of 25Gb/month which can be used either paid for or if you are on an ‘All You Can Eat’ phone contract tariff.

It might be worth clearing up that the ‘All You Can Eat’ unlimited data contracts available from Three are only valid for use in a mobile phone handset. Three employs IMEI lookups which detects what device you are using with the SIM and charges you if that device is not a phone.

Three also state "Feel At Home is designed for UK residents who are on holiday or business trips abroad, not for extended periods abroad.” - the actual T&C's state that you can use it for a maximum of 60 days in any 365. So you would need to have multiple SIM cards to take advantage of this deal over 2 months if you spend a lot of time in these countries.

Other SIM Cards:
EE recently announced that it is giving customers 100MB of data for £3/day. Our EuropaSIM is far more generous or if you are in a ‘Three Like Home’ country then the Three deal is better. EE might be worth considering if you are an existing customer.

Vodafone also announced recently it was lowering Europa Traveller from £3/day to £2/day to use your UK allowance abroad - but is for handsets only.

What about EuropaSIM customers?
Well, EuropaSIM is still the best deal for the rest of Europe but for France I would suggest that this new announcement from Three could be better depending on your usage. Also remember the 60 day maximum with Three. If you are concerned, send me an e-mail and I can clarify what deal might work out better for you.

To summarise, we’re inching our way closer to the ‘end of roaming charges’ which is set to be 15th December 2015. There are some other changes due in on the 1st July and we will be writing a blog post about those and a new comparison between all UK and EU roaming tariffs once the remainder of the networks publish their revised offerings.

As ever, I will try and answer any questions as best I can.

Adam
Motorhome WiFi

Last edited:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Adam
So if I have a 3 Mifi contract which I use at home and whilst in the motorhome, we will be able to use this in France? if so do I need to let 3 know?
thanks
Val

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam
So if I have a 3 Mifi contract which I use at home and whilst in the motorhome, we will be able to use this in France? if so do I need to let 3 know?
thanks
Val

Hi Val,

You will be able to take advantage from 1st July. You don't have to do anything, just turn it on and enjoy 'like home' when in France.

Adam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Val,

You will be able to take advantage from 1st July. You don't have to do anything, just turn it on and enjoy 'like home' when in France.

Adam
That's great, we go to France 29th June, so just in time:thumb:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Adam

Thanks for the inf, we have 3 phones 2 are on 3 network and the other is on Tesco we also have an unlocked Ipad. We are heading to denmark, Norway and Sweden this July if I read it right does that mean we can use 2 phones as normal and could put a PAYG sim in the other or Ipad both phone and ipad unlocked.

Thanks
Gerry

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam

Thanks for the inf, we have 3 phones 2 are on 3 network and the other is on Tesco we also have an unlocked Ipad. We are heading to denmark, Norway and Sweden this July if I read it right does that mean we can use 2 phones as normal and could put a PAYG sim in the other or Ipad both phone and ipad unlocked.

Thanks
Gerry

Your Three phones will work 'like home' so calls to a UK number will be the same cost to you (ie out of your inclusive minutes) and data usage would be the same as back in the UK in those countries.

The same goes for data usage. Just make sure not to tether (share an internet connection) from a phone or the iPad to a laptop or other device.

Adam

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Adam

I have just bought (for the second year running) from 3 Three a 12gb for 12 month sim for my MIFI which we use on our ipad whenever we are away, so again this can be used as normal when we are in France (after 1st July)?
But can you explain further what you mean about the possability of losing data, what dumb thing would i have to do for this to happen?? and do you mean by this that the whole 12gb could be lost in one foul swoop?

many thanks
Andrea

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just got around to buying a europa sim not even used it yet.....what a waste of time:cry:

Presumably the 3 1 gb data sim at £3.99 from pc world is now cheapest way to go

David

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Adam

I have just bought (for the second year running) from 3 Three a 12gb for 12 month sim for my MIFI which we use on our ipad whenever we are away, so again this can be used as normal when we are in France (after 1st July)?
But can you explain further what you mean about the possability of losing data, what dumb thing would i have to do for this to happen?? and do you mean by this that the whole 12gb could be lost in one foul swoop?

many thanks
Andrea

Hi Andrea

I'm no expert but I think he might mean if you forget to disconnect and leave the laptop to something connected to Internet this may use all your data.

There again I could be totally wrong it has been known :ROFLMAO:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Last week I took out a 3 rolling 1 month contract .
Can I take advantage of all you mentioned?
The shop salesman said that they were negotiating a deal with France so it has happened then?
So what happens to the 60 day rule then?
Would I on contract be able to use mine or should I go payg when we go to France to get the benefits?
The contract mentions that you have to be a customer for 3 months to get the abroad benefits.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got a 3 sim somewhere and a mifi thing.

Not used it yet and a bit confused about tethering etc.

If I switch my mifi on and my iboost, would my iboost lock onto the 3 signal and could I then tether via the iboost?

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

You might be fine using this just on an iPad. It would be activities like performing updates, watching video or tethering your connection to other devices that could see your data go down faster than expected. Yes, you can use it in France from 1st July.

Just got around to buying a europa sim not even used it yet.....what a waste of time:cry:
Only for France and the other EU countries listed. For Spain, Portugal, Germany and so on the EuropaSIM is presently the best deal.

Last week I took out a 3 rolling 1 month contract .
Can I take advantage of all you mentioned?
So what happens to the 60 day rule then?
Would I on contract be able to use mine or should I go payg when we go to France to get the benefits?
The contract mentions that you have to be a customer for 3 months to get the abroad benefits.

Hi Terry, for contract customers you must have been with Three for 30 days I believe. You will be able to use your contract in France, but only for a maximum of 60 days. Quite how that usage is calculated I’m not sure - so I guess you might get a text message alerting you.

I have got a 3 sim somewhere and a mifi thing.

Not used it yet and a bit confused about tethering etc.

If I switch my mifi on and my iboost, would my iboost lock onto the 3 signal and could I then tether via the iboost?

You would not use your iBoost system in conjunction with a MiFi device - there would be no benefit.

Your MiFi device already has the ability to share its own WiFi signal with between 5 and 10 devices (depending on the model) and so you can just use the MiFi.

Adam

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A bit 'off topic' but just to say we've been using I-boost very successfully this trip to France.Getting Wi-Fi in van,when others are having to go bar or reception.And,connecting 3 devices for the price of one :thumb:.

Thx Andy,::bigsmile:
Mike

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
According to the salesman in our local 3 store you have to ensure you have international use activated even though you would be using inclusive minutes. I believe you can activate the international via your on line account access

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
According to the salesman in our local 3 store you have to ensure you have international use activated even though you would be using inclusive minutes. I believe you can [HI]activate the international via your on line account acces[/HI]s

Yep:
Click on International Settings
Select "UK and Abroad"
Click Save

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
having just returned and traveled through at least 6 different countries i would still recommend the europasim it worked a treat 3e a day except in italy which was 2 e a day but remember in italy the speed after 500mb dont slow down they charge u 2e for each 50mb over :thumb:

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Adam

Thanks for this news - very helpful. Just to be clear, my £8pm Three data-only MiFi contract will work in France just the same as at home and provided I don't exceed my 5Gb monthly allowance, without additional cost? Thanks, Peter

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Would appreciate if you could answer this one. Supposing I have two Three phones away with me in France. Can I use the phones France to France or Three to Three or would this incur a international tariff. Reading the literature it says using your to phone to phone the UK.This could catch some users out.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Would appreciate if you could answer this one. Supposing I have two Three phones away with me in France. Can I use the phones France to France or Three to Three or would this incur a international tariff. Reading the literature it says using your to phone to phone the UK.This could catch some users out.
Bump.....this was a genuine enquiry. When I go the the US in September will I be able to use my Three phone to call US numbers and 3 to 3 calls using my package.

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Sorry buttons, I missed your reply.

The deal is Three 'Like Home'. Therefore the prices are the same in France as in the UK. That means that in France and you have two handsets on Three it is both free to make a call on one to a UK number and to recieve it on the other - just like in the UK.

Calling UK numbers is the same price as being in the UK - what you can't do is call a French number just because you are in France. Calling a French number in France will cost you the same as calling a French number in the UK.

Hope that makes sense.

Hi Adam

Thanks for this news - very helpful. Just to be clear, my £8pm Three data-only MiFi contract will work in France just the same as at home and provided I don't exceed my 5Gb monthly allowance, without additional cost? Thanks, Peter

Correct, for a maximum of 60 days use in 365.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry buttons, I missed your reply.

The deal is Three 'Like Home'. Therefore the prices are the same in France as in the UK. That means that in France and you have two handsets on Three it is both free to make a call on one to a UK number and to recieve it on the other - just like in the UK.

Calling UK numbers is the same price as being in the UK - what you can't do is call a French number just because you are in France. Calling a French number in France will cost you the same as calling a French number in the UK.
Hope that makes sense.
Correct, for a maximum of 60 days use in 365.
Thanks Addie, Am I right in assuming now that you can only use your phone package
1. To phone the UK
2. To phone other Three phone users wherever they are. whether they are in the UK or abroad.
3 All other calls will have an international tariff. :Blush:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Hi Addie ..............similar to Palmeat in that I have 5GB contract taken out (dongle) in 2008 which I now use with Mifi. do I have to contact them to obtain this as it is so long ago, or can it be done on line. :thumb: thanks

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
News from Three on Thursday - As of 1st July France is now included in the ‘Three Like Home’ destinations as well as Finland, Norway and Switzerland.

This means that if you have a Three SIM card, including PAYG mobile broadband deals, you will be able to use your allowance in France exactly the same as if you were in the UK.

You can now use your package in a total of 9 European countries including Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. This is on top of Australia, Hong King, Indonesia, Israel, Macau, Sri Lanka and USA.

On PAYG (not contract) the following packages are available:
£2.99 for 500MB – Valid 24 hours.
£10 for 1GB – Valid 30 days.
£15 for 3GB – Valid 30 days.
£25 for 7GB – Valid 30 days.

Or, just purchase multiple SIM cards and discard the old one once it has been used up :thumb:

It is also possible to purchase a 12Gb SIM card which is valid for 12 months for around £70, however this may be a risk as it only takes one slip up and you could lose all of your data and so in my mind the 30 day deals are better unless you are exceptionally disciplined with your data usage.

We are now able to offer you Three SIM cards. If you already have an unlocked MiFi device, you can purchase a SIM card to go in it. You can get these from Amazon for around £9.28 or we have them for £8.71 including delivery. Links below:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047GJI9W/?tag=mhf04-21
Broken Link Removed

The Small Print:
Three Like Home doesn’t include tethered usage - so you can’t use your phone as a hotspot, you would need a mobile broadband SIM in a MiFi device. There is a maximum of 25Gb/month which can be used either paid for or if you are on an ‘All You Can Eat’ phone contract tariff.

It might be worth clearing up that the ‘All You Can Eat’ unlimited data contracts available from Three are only valid for use in a mobile phone handset. Three employs IMEI lookups which detects what device you are using with the SIM and charges you if that device is not a phone.

Three also state "Feel At Home is designed for UK residents who are on holiday or business trips abroad, not for extended periods abroad.” - the actual T&C's state that you can use it for a maximum of 60 days in any 365. So you would need to have multiple SIM cards to take advantage of this deal over 2 months if you spend a lot of time in these countries.

Other SIM Cards:
EE recently announced that it is giving customers 100MB of data for £3/day. Our EuropaSIM is far more generous or if you are in a ‘Three Like Home’ country then the Three deal is better. EE might be worth considering if you are an existing customer.

Vodafone also announced recently it was lowering Europa Traveller from £3/day to £2/day to use your UK allowance abroad - but is for handsets only.

What about EuropaSIM customers?
Well, EuropaSIM is still the best deal for the rest of Europe but for France I would suggest that this new announcement from Three could be better depending on your usage. Also remember the 60 day maximum with Three. If you are concerned, send me an e-mail and I can clarify what deal might work out better for you.

To summarise, we’re inching our way closer to the ‘end of roaming charges’ which is set to be 15th December 2015. There are some other changes due in on the 1st July and we will be writing a blog post about those and a new comparison between all UK and EU roaming tariffs once the remainder of the networks publish their revised offerings.

As ever, I will try and answer any questions as best I can.

Adam
Motorhome WiFi

This same as UK Adam does that include MiFi? We have a 3 MiFi 15Gb a month on a contract so does that mean I can use that in France now?
Admittedly would only be able to use it for 1 month on one trip and 1 month on 2nd trip but would cut down on paying for my Orange "Lets Go" MiFi when in France. I would only need to purchase 1 month from them as we tend to mostly go for around 2 months at a time now. My Lets Go package is 20€ to top up for 1 month for 2Gb data so not too bad.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just foned 3 to get some info..

I was gonna maybe switch to them as to start with the deal sounds excellent ( as indeed it is if you happen to be travelling in the above mentioned countries )

Sadly the two countries we go to the most are NOT on the list, Germany and Spain :Doh:

But there is another issue.. I currently get 300 minutes / shed loads of texts and unlimited internet for £14.99 ( equates to 4.9p per call )
With 3, it would be 200 minutes, about a million texts ( which I do not use or can be bothered with ) and internet access for £12.99 ( equates to 6.5p per call )

So for me, at the moment, it is not really viable.. but this thread has made me think about looking for a deal away from T Mobile :winky:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
John

I think you need to talk to them again. I managed to negotiate a sim only deal with 2000 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited internet with tethering (one contract) all for the pricely sum of £15 per month.

So I shall be in my element in France and I also use it in Ireland where my Mum lives.

Sonja

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will do mate.. And I have now found that the receiving call costs in Germany are the same as T mobile too

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Roaming

Great thread folks, Got a Huwaie MIFI thingy from 3 unlocked and at present just buy local Sim cards. So far Orange was best price at 9€ for 1 Gb for 1 month.. Keep the info coming Addie and thanks... :thumb: Mitch

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The Small Print:

Does this mean that this doesn't apply to Mifis at all, which count as tethering and you will be charged normal i.e. extortionate rates?

In fact, I took a look at the 3 rates and decided to go with Europasim anyway, even for the UK. Especially as the 3G/3 month deal I started on isn't available at renewal. You can only get 3G/1month. Also, with 3, the daily rate is more than Europasim (£3 instead of €3), covers fewer countries and seems to require you to go online to buy explicitly every single day, rather than just top up once and have them taken off when used. As well as being a faff, I'm not sure how that would work in Europe.

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Roaming should be activated by default on all Three accounts, but it would be a good idea to check that this is the case if you have an older contract. Information on doing so is here:

http://tinyurl.com/ThreeRoaming

John

I think you need to talk to them again. I managed to negotiate a sim only deal with 2000 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited internet with tethering (one contract) all for the pricely sum of £15 per month.

So I shall be in my element in France and I also use it in Ireland where my Mum lives.

Sonja

Sonja, do bare in mind that tethering is not supported on the 'Three Like Home' tariff, only usage on your device.

There are some Add-ons that, by their nature, won’t work in Feel At Home destinations. These are:

Personal Hotspot Add-ons, since you can’t use your phone as a Personal Hotspot (this is also called tethering) in a Feel At Home destination.

Does this mean that this doesn't apply to Mifis at all, which count as tethering and you will be charged normal i.e. extortionate rates?

In fact, I took a look at the 3 rates and decided to go with Europasim anyway, even for the UK. Especially as the 3G/3 month deal I started on isn't available at renewal. You can only get 3G/1month. Also, with 3, the daily rate is more than Europasim (£3 instead of €3), covers fewer countries and seems to require you to go online to buy explicitly every single day, rather than just top up once and have them taken off when used. As well as being a faff, I'm not sure how that would work in Europe.

Firstly, using a MiFi is not 'tethering' in the true sense, this phrase is used to describe connecting a device to a mobile phone handset. A MiFi uses a dedicated data tariff and so the 'no tethering' rule does not apply.

You're right - the daily rate for EuropaSIM is cheaper if you're looking at the £2.99 for 500Mb daily tariff and of course with the EuropaSIM you can use any network and also in countries not covered by the Three deal. However, for many light users I'm sure this tariff is welcomed and its certainly a step in the right direction.

Adam

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You might be fine using this just on an iPad. It would be activities like performing updates, watching video or tethering your connection to other devices that could see your data go down faster than expected. Yes, you can use it in France from 1st July.

Only for France and the other EU countries listed. For Spain, Portugal, Germany and so on the EuropaSIM is presently the best deal.

Hi Terry, for contract customers you must have been with Three for 30 days I believe. You will be able to use your contract in France, but only for a maximum of 60 days. Quite how that usage is calculated I’m not sure - so I guess you might get a text message alerting you.

[HI]You would not use your iBoost system in conjunction with a MiFi device - there would be no benefit.

Your MiFi device already has the ability to share its own WiFi signal with between 5 and 10 devices (depending on the model) and so you can just use the MiFi.

Adam

[/HI]

Sorry I should have been clearer.

What if I had the sim with a phone and tethering wasn't allowed ?

This is from your OP -

"Three Like Home doesn’t include tethered usage - so you can’t use your phone as a hotspot, you would need a mobile broadband SIM in a MiFi device."

In that scenario, could the iboost log onto the phone and allow tethering without them knowing it was being tethered?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back