N.Yorkshire no motorhomes proposed order (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Following on from a separate thread it appears North Yorkshire county council have proposed a new Order for “No Motor Caravans” with a temporary order already in place.

Perhaps Motorhomefun as a group of motorhomers and concerned citizens should also push to be consulted as it appears they are consulting with the Caravan Club

Perhaps Motorhomefun should be asking the Caravan Club to inform our organisation each time they are consulted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Councils normally have lists of "recognised" organisations which they consult on various matters. Organisations and individuals can request that they be included on such lists for all matters pertaining to particular types of subject or just for specific items.

In the case of organisations, they normally have nominated officers to produce their responses.

If MotorhomeFun were to join one or more lists then presumably one contact point would be needed and one person would need to collate (possibly widely varying) responses from members to submit as a "corporate" response. The former would be straightforward but I'm not so sure about the latter :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
"North Yorkshire", isn't that the dark damp place the wrong side of the Pennines :RollEyes:. Am confident there wont be much opposition to a motorhome ban :ROFLMAO:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Andy Strangeway is fighting the case for motorhomers' rights: -
Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah we went to North Yorkshire once it rained & rained & rained etc etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only joking :hardhat::hardhat:

Somehow Middlesbrourgh does not have the same ring to it as Cannes, Nice or Monte Carlo does it ::bigsmile:.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Odd that these local councils haven`t had the fore thought to get together on a list of issues.
Let`s look at this, we vote these people into office and the fact is they are more powerful in their decisions than the government.

An example could be the refuse and recycling collection how many different systems are their in place, the list would go on and on truth is most of the local councils don`t act for the people that vote them into office.

Banning motorhomes is another example of how in these hard pressed times to heap misery upon the local businesses, with a motorhome comes a family with needs and a wallet with which to pay for them.
Ok I know the are the free-loaders, well they will always be there no matter what, have a look at a car park near a Macdonalds, littered with discarded food cartons and this is from the people that live there.

Once again a small minority has ruined it for the caring and considerate people and worst still by a decision from a committe made up of narrow minded little hitlers.

Am I angry at these political low lives, bloody right I am, 70yrs since D`Day when we are rememering those that gave their very lives to keep us free whilst the politictians since that day gave away everything these brave souls died for.

They have the Morals of Alley cats.

I`m now going to chop some logs, I`m angry and don`t want to lose it....:Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Somehow Middlesbrourgh does not have the same ring to it as Cannes, Nice or Monte Carlo does it ::bigsmile:.

Point of information Dave. Middlesbrough left North Yorkshire in 1968 when it became part of Teesside County Borough.

It does have two good points though - A19 and A66 outbound :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Following on from a separate thread[HI] it appears North Yorkshire county council have proposed a new Order for “No Motor Caravans” [/HI]with a temporary order already in place.

Perhaps Motorhomefun as a group of motorhomers and concerned citizens should also push to be consulted as it appears they are consulting with the Caravan Club

Perhaps Motorhomefun should be asking the Caravan Club to inform our organisation each time they are consulted.

oh dear....is that the whole of YARKSHIRE then.
Better set the whole county as an 'avoid' into your satnavs. :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Odd that these local councils haven`t had the fore thought to get together on a list of issues.
Let`s look at this, we vote these people into office and the fact is they are more powerful in their decisions than the government.

An example could be the refuse and recycling collection how many different systems are their in place, the list would go on and on truth is most of the local councils don`t act for the people that vote them into office.

Banning motorhomes is another example of how in these hard pressed times to heap misery upon the local businesses, with a motorhome comes [HI]a family with needs and a wallet with which to pay for them.[/HI]
Ok I know the are the free-loaders, well they will always be there no matter what, have a look at a car park near a Macdonalds, littered with discarded food cartons and this is from the people that live there.

Once again a small minority has ruined it for the caring and considerate people and worst still by a decision from a committe made up of narrow minded little hitlers.

Am I angry at these political low lives, bloody right I am, 70yrs since D`Day when we are rememering those that gave their very lives to keep us free whilst the politictians since that day gave away everything these brave souls died for.

They have the Morals of Alley cats.

I`m now going to chop some logs, I`m angry and don`t want to lose it....:Angry:

We see this type of statement frequently, Rob, but in that form it is purely anecdotal. Many motorhomers take food &c with them and spend very little in some places. What is required is a statement providing hard facts about the amount of money which might be spent in a given location. That might then turn the tide in our favour.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Following on from a separate thread it appears North Yorkshire county council have proposed a new Order for “No Motor Caravans” with a temporary order already in place.

Is that the WHOLE of North Yorkshire, or just some bits? Mind you, I never go so its really not that important :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Point of information Dave. Middlesbrough left North Yorkshire in 1968 when it became part of Teesside County Borough.

It does have two good points though - A19 and A66 outbound :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Graham, I had no idea it had been that long since I ventured tother side the Pennines ::bigsmile:. Has it changed much since I used to load bag muck fertilizer in Billingham.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry Graham, I had no idea it had been that long since I ventured tother side the Pennines ::bigsmile:. Has it changed much since I used to load bag muck fertilizer in Billingham.
It's been going downhill for years Dave so probably only for the worse :roflmto:

Town centre :)Rofl1::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) is now a university campus (used to be a thriving residential area) - and they wonder why shops are closing. Local [STRIKE]council[/STRIKE] Labour Party shoe-in merchants haven't a clue about how to run things. :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[HI]It's been going downhill for years [/HI]Dave so probably only for the worse :roflmto:

Town centre :)Rofl1::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) is now a university campus (used to be a thriving residential area) - and they wonder why shops are closing. Local [STRIKE]council[/STRIKE] Labour Party shoe-in merchants haven't a clue about how to run things. :roflmto:

and thats why we kicked you out of Yorkshire. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
That's right. Everybody avoid North Yorks, out of protest , now. :thumb:
You show them you mean business.
Take your fridges full of food you've brought from home , and go down South somewhere.:ROFLMAO:
Find a nice supermarket car park or layby to stay in down there:Cool:

As for us we will carry on using cl's and going to CCC , MCC rallies ::bigsmile:
We love having such a beautiful county on our doorstep. Lovely friendly people, scenic places , great pubs with good food and fantastic beer.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Is that the WHOLE of North Yorkshire, or just some bits? Mind you, I never go so its really not that important :ROFLMAO:

Not sure Billy I havent the time at the moment to contact the council and ask them for the full information on the proposal

that wan#er....doing more harm than good with his "i'm right, you're wrong" attitude

He ISNT fighting the cause for motorhomers, he's fighting for the sake of it...he doesnt even own a motorhome.

Thats why Councils should be consulting with larger groups such as ours as well

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Looking forward to a trip to N Yorkshire in July and spending money in shops,we don't use carparks or laybys to sleep, prefer sites so helping keep both in business. :Smile::thumb:

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
CONSULTATION RE. MOTOR CARAVAN PROHIBITION – VARIOUS LOCATIONS
Filey Road, Cayton Bay, Osgodby Hill, Cayton Bay, The Beach, Filey, Crescent Hill, Filey, The Crescent, Filey, Sandsend Road, Sandsend, North Promendade, Whitby, East Terrace, Whitby, Royal Crescent, Whitby, Love Lane, Whitby, North Terrace, Whitby, Church Street, Whitby, Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough, Sandside, Scarborough, Foreshore Road, Scarborough, Esplanade, Scarborough.

Good morning

I apologise but recent changes in procedure, mean the attached letter was no longer accurate to describe procedure.

If there are no reasonable objections to the proposals, it is anticipated that the restrictions will be made permanent within six months from the end of the consultation period. From 1st June 2014, If objections are raised which are not resolved or withdrawn, it will be necessary to report the objections to the Director of Environmental Services and the Executive Members for Business and Environmental Services for consideration and a decision on the course of action to be pursued.

I am sorry for any confusion caused by this.

Regards
Emily

Area 3 Whitby Office
North Yorkshire County Council
Whitby Highways Depot
Discovery Way
Whitby
YO22 4PZ

Area3.Whitby@northyorks.gov.uk

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Nick West B.Tech., C.Eng., M.I.C.E.

Area Manager

Highways & Transportation

Area 3 – Whitby Office
Our ref: MOTORHOME CONSULTATION

Discovery Way
Whitby, YO22 4PZ

Tel: 0845 8727374

Fax: 01947 820314

e-mail: area3.whitby@northyorks.gov.uk
www.northyorks.gov.uk

3rd June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

CONSULTATION RE. MOTOR CARAVAN PROHIBITION – VARIOUS LOCATIONS

Filey Road, Cayton Bay, Osgodby Hill, Cayton Bay, The Beach, Filey, Crescent Hill, Filey, The Crescent, Filey, Sandsend Road, Sandsend, North Promendade, Whitby, East Terrace, Whitby, Royal Crescent, Whitby, Love Lane, Whitby, North Terrace, Whitby, Church Street, Whitby, Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough, Sandside, Scarborough, Foreshore Road, Scarborough, Esplanade, Scarborough.

As you may be aware, the County Council, as Highway Authority, introduced temporary traffic restrictions in 2012 to prevent motor caravans parking between the hours of 11pm and 7am at the above locations. In order to make these measures permanent, the Council is required to consult those directly affected by the proposal. The purpose of this letter is to provide you with details of the restrictions and allow you the opportunity to express your views.
Attached is a plan showing the extent of the restrictions in hatched red, and a simple questionnaire to enable you to signify your view(s). Please return questionnaires by 10th July 2014.

North Yorkshire County Council welcomes those using motor caravans to its sea-side resorts. The relevant streets are sea-front locations, where it is considered that the overnight parking of motor caravans significantly detracts from the amenity of the local area and the lives of those living in the streets.

If there are no reasonable objections to the proposals, it is anticipated that the restrictions will be made permanent within six months from the end of the consultation period. If objections are raised which are not resolved or withdrawn, it will be necessary to report the matter to the County Council’s Area Committee which will decide on the course of action to be pursued.
Yours faithfully

Nick West
Area Manager

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
No ban on any other type of vehicle. Cars, Buses, Coaches, HGV and high sided vans, Trailers and caravans can all continue to park.

Just what do they mean by "significantly detracts from the amenity of the local area and the lives of those living in the streets" if only Motor Caravans are prohibited.

The simple agenda is to stop people sleeping in vehicles overnight.

The existing TRO states: "Sleeping, camping or cooking" is prohibited in vehicles.
They admit this is unenforceable, as they cannot tell if someone was asleep in a parked vehicle with curtains closed and they would have to enter the vehicle to determine if cooking equipment had been used.

There was no proof of any complaints logged, on the reason given in the temporary prohibitions of rubbish and waste from Motor Caravans on the highway.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

gale it is only certain arias not an out right ban it to stop parking over night in sum places we find lodes of places to park now as it has freed up the hole sea front for every one and it is far more pleasant now not having to fight for a place to park
as most of the spaces were taken up for the summer by blue badge holders.
bill

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
so, gotta question - if this is about overnight sleeping what about non motorised caravans? ie the ones that are towed?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No ban on any other type of vehicle. Cars, Buses, Coaches, HGV and high sided vans, Trailers and caravans can all continue to park.

[HI]Just what do they mean by "significantly detracts from the amenity of the local area and the lives of those living in the streets" if only Motor Caravans are prohibited.[/HI]

The simple agenda is to stop people sleeping in vehicles overnight.

The existing TRO states: "Sleeping, camping or cooking" is prohibited in vehicles.
They admit this is unenforceable, as they cannot tell if someone was asleep in a parked vehicle with curtains closed and they would have to enter the vehicle to determine if cooking equipment had been used.

There was no proof of any complaints logged, on the reason given in the temporary prohibitions of rubbish and waste from Motor Caravans on the highway.

Probably that in the eyes of some people our motorhomes are big, ugly, white things that offend the eye. We might love them but that doesn't mean everyone else does. In addition, camping at the roadside (especially extended) denies other vehicle owners use of the parking spots (let's be honest and admit that vans aren't just there during the ban hours but significantly longer).

Rightly or wrongly it is the contra view which has best made its case in having the temporary ban introduced. Also note the words in the other post (my highlighting) "If there are no [HI]reasonable objection[/HI]s to the proposals, it is anticipated that the restrictions will be made permanent". That means that somebody needs to show that the amenity of the local area is not adversely affected and/or that any such adverse affect is outweighed by benefits. Simply saying "Oh no it doesn't" will not work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back