Extra Leisure Battery? (1 Viewer)

johna

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
I am reasonably new to Motorhomes, my current vehicle has one 85amp battery, I read where a lot of vehicles actually have 2 batteries or even 3. I believe that I could get another 85amp battery along side my exsisting one under the passanger seat. Is this something I should be doing? Would the std battery charger currently fitted be able to cope with 2 batteries, and how do I connect the batteries together? Some people I read just have the 2nd battery to power a Tv etc through an inverter, it seems like a mine field at the various ways you can do things and the gadgets available. All I want is to be able to not worry about power for 2 - 3 days if I do not have hook up. recently I flattened my battery over a wk end of having to have the heating fan running most of it. Thanks Johna

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am reasonably new to Motorhomes, my current vehicle has one 85amp battery, I read where a lot of vehicles actually have 2 batteries or even 3. I believe that I could get another 85amp battery along side my exsisting one under the passanger seat.

All I want is to be able to not worry about power for 2 - 3 days if I do not have hook up. recently I flattened my battery over a wk end of having to have the heating fan running most of it. Thanks Johna
Any decent 85amp battery will provide power for the short amount of time you are talking about, but run a heater fan, fridge or TV for any length of time and it won't be up to it.

A second battery connected in series to the current one will help. You still have to realise though that there are limitations and they will need regular charging if you are running a heater, TV or fridge.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A second battery connected in series to the current one will help.

Shouldn't that be connected in parallel, + to + and - to - or have I got it wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Shouldn't that be connected in parallel, + to + and - to - or have I got it wrong

Connected in parallel is correct. if you connect in series then it will be 24 volts and burn out electrics.

Batteries should be located near to each other with connections in heavy cable

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
And while your at it and if youve got room chuck out the 85 a/h and buy 2 x 110 :thumb:a/h, they are not lat much bigger and will increase your power output by another 50a/h

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A second battery connected in series to the current one will help. .

It sure will if you want 24Volt, but if you want 12v it should be connected in parallel, + to + and - to -. With the positive lead connected via a relay which is powered from the ignition switch and the charge coming from your charge regulator, terminal A+ That makes sure the main vehicle battery remains charged when you run the leisure battery flat, but both batteries charge when the engine is running. a couple of small solar panels will help top up the batteries when left standing. For heating use gas or diesel powered heating. and make sure you have carbon monoxide detector fitted. Be safe or be dead!!!!! Make sure you know what you are doing or get it done for you. There is bad advice as well as good on here so beware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back