Photography, Camera Help wanted! (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I bought a Lumix DMC-G3 a couple of years ago. It had excellent reviews and they persuaded me that this was what I needed.
I use it mostly for photographing smallish objects - things that I collect, close up, tripod, natural light.
I thought this camera would do for a bit of a useless photographer with it's large LCD display, auto white balance, etc.
What I am finding, though, is that all the photos I take are quite dark - darker than on the LCD display and I have to edit them all in Photoshop.
I even use the 'brighten' facility when taking photos.
Have a look on my link 'pecadillo' below and you will see my latest photos which I have 'Photoshopped'.
I used to be quite good with the old manual SLR cameras (Canon AE-1, Yashica FX), able to get the right aperture/speed settings.
Any (sensible :winky:) suggestions from your camera wizzo Funsters?
Mike:Blush:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Which mode are you using it it?

If you are having problems use it in full auto point and shoot mode and get it right in that mode before bothering with aperture or shutter priority or any of the other settings.

If it's OK in full auto then start playing with the other settings.

Also it may sound silly but check to see whether there are display settings for the LCD that may be wrong i.e. display brightness set too high or something like that

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe try resetting it to factory settings. I have been a large fan of the lumix cameras over the years and currently have the tz30. Is it evening photos or sunny photos thats too dark? Are you using your backlight?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Have you inadvertently set the exposure compensation facility to underexposed?

On my Lumix camera it is indicated by a +\- button.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Which mode are you using it it?

If you are having problems use it in full auto point and shoot mode and get it right in that mode before bothering with aperture or shutter priority or any of the other settings.

If it's OK in full auto then start playing with the other settings.

Also it may sound silly but check to see whether there are display settings for the LCD that may be wrong i.e. display brightness set too high or something like that

Hi Nicknic,
I use it in P with WB applied.
I have just found the iA button which should do everything for you!
I have never got on with manuals.
I'll check the display settings.
Thanks, Mike:thumb:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Have you inadvertently set the exposure compensation facility to underexposed?

On my Lumix camera it is indicated by a +\- button.

I have used this to try to 'brighten' it up a bit!:Smile:

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Mike,

Sounds like an exposure issue,......as already mentioned this can be 'dialled in (and out) where needed via +/- .

Can you post a pic - as captured by camera before you photoshop it, ?

Another good point has been made by NickNic, in that on some LCD screens the brightness can be altered, (on both my Fujis for example), so just maybe's what you are 'seeing' on screen is artificially 'lightened', from what you are picturing.

Andy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nicknic,
I use it in P with WB applied.
I have just found the iA button which should do everything for you!
I have never got on with manuals.
I'll check the display settings.
Thanks, Mike:thumb:

Definitely make sure the WB is on auto. I find it's better to leave that alone on the camera and adjust it with Photoshop or Lightroom afterwards if it's needed.

If it has the exposure correction too start with that on zero or whatever Panasonic call it and only adjust it if you really need to.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can you post a pic unedited straight off the camera to a site where I can get a copy which includes all the exif information please? I will look over it and see what is going on for you. Sounds like it could be a combination of issues.

Panasonic Lumix cameras are exellent little work horses and you should not be seeing a discrepancy between the brightness on the lcd and the image on your computer. You may want to check the LCD brightness settings and reduce them a little.

Also, what metering are you using? I have found using centre weighted can sometimes trick the meter in to under exposing, but this is more prominent on the Sony cameras, I have not heard of it so much on the Lumix range.

Do you have any lens filters attached?
Are you using flash?

I would also suggest checking the exposure compensation, but you say you have already - that was my first thought actually - although if it were that then the lcd immage should be equally dimmed as the photo.

Try and post an unedited image I will let you know what is going on in no time! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back