sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Right when i get solar panel fitted,,2 new leisure batteries,,,will i also need an invertor to be able to use my sky in the van ?,,please dont think this is a silly question as i know my tv runs off 12v but how can i run my sky box ,,and yes i will have sat system.......:Sad:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi

I don't have Sky in the van but I do have a sat system and solar panels. I'm sure there will be a way to power the skybox without an inverter but if you are having solar panels fitted then an inverter would complement them. When I don't have EHU I use my inverter to power my laptops, phones etc so it gets well used! I have a 1000W inverter btw.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Hi

I don't have Sky in the van but I do have a sat system and solar panels. I'm sure there will be a way to power the skybox without an inverter but if you are having solar panels fitted then an inverter would complement them. When I don't have EHU I use my inverter to power my laptops, phones etc so it gets well used! I have a 1000W inverter btw.

thanks was looking at an inverter running off the 2 batteries for things....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm sure that whoever fits your inverter could also fit an extra plug socket if your sky box is going to be in a cupboard. There's always a way!:thumb:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
I'm sure that whoever fits your inverter could also fit an extra plug socket if your sky box is going to be in a cupboard. There's always a way!:thumb:

can fit the inverter myself will put it close to where i need and feed off it...:Smile: dont need to climb ladders for that....:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Someone will be along shortly but you only need a tiny inverter to run your sky box. just plug into the existing 12 volt system I have done I it before we got our 12 volt sky box but not sure how big the inverter was I think about 135 summat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can fit the inverter myself will put it close to where i need and feed off it...:Smile: dont need to climb ladders for that....:thumb:

sorry, thats not the way to do it.

Put the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and, if necessary, use an extension lead to feed appliances.

The further it is from the batteries the thicker the feed wires need to be.....and i mean thicker, maybe 35mm or more for a 500watt inverter at 5mtr distance.

To run your sky box you only need maybe a 100watt inverter at most.

The less work it has to do, the cooler and more efficient it will be..

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
sorry, thats not the way to do it.

Put the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and, if necessary, use an extension lead to feed appliances.

The further it is from the batteries the thicker the feed wires need to be.....and i mean thicker, maybe 35mm or more for a 500watt inverter at 5mtr distance.

To run your sky box you only need maybe a 100watt inverter at most.

The less work it has to do, the cooler and more efficient it will be..
was going to put under unit by batteries and run a ring main off it ,i.e one socket one side of van and another to other side,,,,

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Yeah, my inverter is fitted right next to the batteries, not that I fitted it of course, I struggle to wire a plug! ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Had a good idea the other day:Doh:, thought put inverter in battery box , get a hookup lead and just hookup to inverter whenever we needed it, not very often, then remembered the charger comes on automatic with hookup, so would it work or would the charger take more power than it's putting in , not going to do it now but what would happen?::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
was going to put under unit by batteries and run a ring main off it ,i.e one socket one side of van and another to other side,,,,

sounds like a plan. :thumb:

Dont bother with a ring main....your vans original 230v sockets will only be a radial curcuit so thats all you need, especially for just two sockets.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a good idea the other day:Doh:, thought put inverter in battery box , get a hookup lead and just hookup to inverter whenever we needed it, not very often, then remembered the charger comes on automatic with hookup, so would it work or would the charger take more power than it's putting in , not going to do it now but what would happen?::bigsmile:

in the words of your mortgage lender.....negative equity. :roflmto:

The charger would defeat the object.

No such thing as perpetual motion .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A sky receiver is going to take little in power... Have a look on the back or bottom of the Sky box and it will state the watts 30 -40 maybe (just guessing let me know if I am way out).....

So a small 150w cheapie of ebay will more than do the job..
The talk about close to batteries and thick leads is right but would only apply to heavy duty inverters where you are going to use lots of power.. If you have a cigarette socket in the van it's most likely rated at 120 watts and you will be well within that....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back