It's all kicking off in France!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are currently parked on a very large aire at Saint-Denis D'Oleron. It is a former campsite so has spaces for 160 vans and there is a small shower block. There is EHU for every pitch and at €9 per night it's not too bad. When we arrived yesterday it was 75% full but as there is a bank holiday looming vans have been streaming in all day. It has gone from a lovely spacious site to looking like an overcrowded car park. Someone just tried to squeeze in the gap between us and our neighbour and what ensued was a very heated argument with lots of shouting and gesticulating which culminated in the new van moving off to find somewhere else to park. I should probably point out that the shouting and gesticulating was from our neighbour and not from Glynn!! :ROFLMAO: I am relieved that in the morning we will be heading to a campsite near Royen for a few days. :RollEyes:

P.S. where are all the Brits? We are the only English van here :whatthe:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are currently parked on a very large aire at Saint-Denis D'Oleron. It is a former campsite so has spaces for 160 vans and there is a small shower block. There is EHU for every pitch and at €9 per night it's not too bad. When we arrived yesterday it was 75% full but as there is a bank holiday looming vans have been streaming in all day. It has gone from a lovely spacious site to looking like an overcrowded car park. Someone just tried to squeeze in the gap between us and our neighbour and what ensued was a very heated argument with lots of shouting and gesticulating which culminated in the new van moving off to find somewhere else to park. I should probably point out that the shouting and gesticulating was from our neighbour and not from Glynn!! :ROFLMAO: I am relieved that in the morning we will be heading to a campsite near Royen for a few days. :RollEyes:

P.S. where are all the Brits? We are the only English van here :whatthe:

Too crowded :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Posts like these make me so jealous:cry: We have yet to venture abroad. Keep the information of your travels coming and safe travels. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
just done the maths and with at least 160 vans now here that probably means there are at least 320 people here discounting the kids I have seen so with only 3 showers I am glad we are leaving in the morning :ROFLMAO: It's definitely time to move on :roflmto: For future reference though it is a lovely site when it isn't a bank holiday and excellent location for cycling the island :thumb:

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We are heading to parc verger for the weekend . Meeting a couple of funsters there. So at least 4 brits there! Welcome to join us

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are heading to parc verger for the weekend . Meeting a couple of funsters there. So at least 4 brits there! Welcome to join us

oh that's a shame, we are heading that way but plan on spending 4 days near the Cote sauvage and then on to the Dune du Pilat first :Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
At least two of the aires on Oleron are ex-campsites, so they're good value for money in that you get grassy pitches with EHU thrown in and a basic bog block with showers. It doesn't surprise me that they're popular. There's another one next to the water park at Dolus d'Oleron which offers a bit of grass to sit out on. The campsite next to the ramparts at Chateau d'Oleron isn't bad value if the aires are full.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
It's Ascension Day - a holiday - in France today - most people will be taking tomorrow off as well for a long weekend.

Cheers

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You are not alone....I'm sitting in an apartment in Mimizan plage. Moving to Bergerac on Saturday (in the van) for a couple of days. No idea where after that except, I have to be at Le Mans for the classic race 4-6th July.:thumb:

Hope you're enjoying yourself. (Weather has been rubbish so far).

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
just done the maths and with at least 160 vans now here that probably means there are at least 320 people here discounting the kids I have seen so with only 3 showers I am glad we are leaving in the morning :ROFLMAO: It's definitely time to move on :roflmto: For future reference though it is a lovely site when it isn't a bank holiday and excellent location for cycling the island :thumb:

That's why we are on a campsite in Nante over the bank holiday and will get to Isle D'oleron around Wed or Thurs ::bigsmile:

Mike

D

DM14742

Deleted User
shame we won't see you at Parc Verger, will be off to the vets at 10 oclock and then making our way up country for the weekend.Hope you have a great time with Pat and Trish, go easy on them cos I think we've tired them out. Look forward to seeing you in Dorset.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
La Pelouse Begerac today. (After a couple of hours in St. Emilion):thumb:
Nice...same spot as last year?

What ice cream are you having (had?) Then?::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In my experience .. Aires can be heaven or hell on earth... looks like you are in the later..
I don't envy you..

had a similar experience at Mimizan Plage during a holiday.. yet most of the time it is an excellent aire.. tons of room, I know of people who use it as a winter quarters..stay for months on end

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
In my experience .. Aires can be heaven or hell on earth... looks like you are in the later..
I don't envy you..

had a similar experience at Mimizan Plage during a holiday.. yet most of the time it is an excellent aire.. tons of room, I know of people who use it as a winter quarters..stay for months on end

Calais to honfleur yesterday tried the Aire not one single space looked like hell on earth on an acsi site 2km out of town 10 amp hookup spotlessly clean showers 16 euros ell worth it will stay for 3 nights :thumb:

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Its-all-kicking-off-France

Hopefully it will have quietened down by Thursday as we head from the ferry at Caen down to the Loire in Nel.
Mike

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Calais to honfleur yesterday tried the Aire not one single space looked like hell on earth on an acsi site 2km out of town 10 amp hookup spotlessly clean showers 16 euros ell worth it will stay for 3 nights :thumb:

On the honfleur aire couple of weeks ago, no holiday time but it was rammed then and at twelve euros a bit of a rip off, it real handy for the town but that's about it:Sad:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are looking at visiting Alsace later in the summer any tips? (are keen on wine ):thumb:

David

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We're leaving Nantes tomorrow and heading to Isle d'Oleron via Vendrennes.
Carolyn made a friend at St Marc-who is he ? ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Carolyn and friend (Copy).jpg
    Carolyn and friend (Copy).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 76
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Oui ! St Marc sur Mer was where 'e 'ad 'is 'oliday !

Did you visit Ste Marguerite and the Aire ?

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
The Drips will be at La Rochelle tomorrow staying about 1 week. Any of you funsters already there recommend a site to enjoy our last bottle of Baileys? The Boaters are on route so you better be quick.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
on the tunnel monday heading towards vendee. If our paths cross you can buy me that beer you owe me. :thumb:

Sudden change of plans, now on route to China.::bigsmile:

Let me know where you are and I might even stretch to two beers:thumb:

Just spent the afternoon on the Dordogne at Bergerac in a Gabarre. Off to Monbazillac to buy some wine tomorrow.:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Nice...same spot as last year?

What ice cream are you having (had?) Then?::bigsmile:

Exactly the same spot. I reserved it via email. Ice cream........well I cannot tell a lie......I've had two today already and there's more for dessert later.:Blush: I hope you two are keeping well.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back