How to dismantle body to replace rotten frame (1 Viewer)

makatya

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 1986
Exp
1 year
Hello,

I have a 1986 Fiat Ducato Elddis Autostratus with a rotten section at the rear of the vehicle.

Does anyone know how they are constructed so I can take out the rotten wooden frame and insert a new one? Links to a diagram would be helpful.

Also, does anyone know where I can get replacement external panels as the current ones have been painted badly and I would like to replace them?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
is it worth it you will open up a big can of worms and getting parts for a fiat van that old is nearly impossible:Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. speak to a local commercial body maker they will have contacts for the outer panels .
what you have to do is be determined . just rip off the outer panels and cut the inner panels . remove damaged supports . replace with some made up ones ideally in tanalized timber . re insulate and repanel inside and outside . using inner panels with a finish can be expensive . look for a wallpaper or something . it can be ok.
its not a nice job . you may wish you hadnt started it .
i use plastic coated steel outside panels . we have a company that makes all sorts of roofing panels and i can buy the flat sheets before they fold/roll the roof sheets . i spray it and they look ok. or sometimes just leave what ever colour the plastic is . have had a red door i made up years ago on mine . might paint it white one day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mark hope your DIY skills are OK :Smile:Remove the rear inner cupboards etc then the inner wall boards :thumb: Once this is done you may be able to remove the framework carefully leaving the outer skin in place --make up your new frame in 2 or 3 pieces sticking the outer skin to the frame as you go --re-board and decorate then reassemble the other bits --nothing very hard just time consuming --
forgot to say find where the van was/is leaking first and rectify that :thumb:
Try http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ and http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/ to see if they have any old stock wall boards that match --Ask at your local caravan parts/dealer if they know the name of your original boards :winky:you may be surprised how some people know this and it would make your life easier to track a couple of original boards down --good luck
terry

OP
OP
M

makatya

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 1986
Exp
1 year
Thanks everyone for your help and tips.

Looks like I need to start stripping the inner cupboards out to get to the wall and then frame.

I will check out the links also.

many thanks once again.:thumb:

Mark.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
good luck nice vans.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks everyone for your help and tips.

Looks like I need to start stripping the inner cupboards out to get to the wall and then frame.
Mark.

Depending on how bad it is and the construction, you may have a chance of doing it from underneath. My back corner had gone and rather than dismantle the shower I worked from below.

Where I could not get timber in I used fibreglass cloth and resin. Stronger than original ( if done properly ) but heavier.

Drying the good wood is a pain in the bum, had a fan blowing for weeks. This is not a quick job.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As already said about using pre treated timber, you could buy planed timber or sawn timber the size it's built with. Then cut it to length etc then send it to be treated. Here in kings Lynn there is company that pressure treats wood for customers, so might be one near you.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
How is the side panel constructed? I know it is a sandwich of outer skin, central foam core and thin (3mm?) ply inner but are all these bonded to each other. How do you separate one layer from another. Can it be done without compromising the layer underneath (removing the ply inner from the foam core for example). And when reassembling what glue to use? Waterproof PVA? I was just wondering about the detail.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How is the side panel constructed? I know it is a sandwich of outer skin, central foam core and thin (3mm?) ply inner but are all these bonded to each other. How do you separate one layer from another. Can it be done without compromising the layer underneath (removing the ply inner from the foam core for example). And when reassembling what glue to use? Waterproof PVA? I was just wondering about the detail.

yes its bonded as you say but comes apart easy although you will prob trash the core :Smile:Stick everything back together with a polyurethane glue like sikaflex or PUREAFLEX FROM TOOLSTATION :thumb: for the new core use a insulation board like kingspan
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back