Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
no, not the old fashioned lardy cakes.
i mean m/h that saunter off down the road leaving a trail of grey like some incontinent hound.:Sad:
saw several this w/e that must have dropped on grass and then just drove off.
and we wonder why we are less and less welcome all over the country.
it's actions like these that confirm my desires to travel abroad rather than explore our own sceptred isle.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with the disgust at the dribblers, and the gushers on first few corners after leaving

But don't think you will find it any better over the channel:Doh:

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
i mean m/h that saunter off down the road leaving a trail of grey like some incontinent hound.:Sad:
it's actions like these that confirm my desires to travel abroad rather than explore our own sceptred isle.[/QUOTE]

Just back from 2 weeks in Switzerland Germany France etc. It's no different there either!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Think I read on a post that the French cops are cracking down on it...well putting the fine in their pocket of course but still cracking down on it ::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
it's actions like these that confirm my desires to travel abroad rather than explore our own sceptred isle.

Well, try this then as a comparison. The bus that's just filled it's tank, does a sharp left hander, and drops a couple of gallons of derv onto the Queens Highway, or the ancient tractor chugging along, doing likewise from a faulty fuel pump, or maybe a likewise old tractor, dripping hydraulic fluid, all sat there just waiting for a bit of rain, to produce skating on ice. Maybe then the dustbin wagon, drooling some foul smelling filth or other, the crew not giving a damm, or even the farmer, proceeding along the road, with five tons of liquid s**t in a bullet riddled trailer that saw service in Anzio, WW2.
Can you compare that lot with a dribble of H2o mixed with soap and a bit of body fat?? Naw. ::bigsmile::winky:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well, try this then as a comparison. The bus that's just filled it's tank, does a sharp left hander, and drops a couple of gallons of derv onto the Queens Highway, or the ancient tractor chugging along, doing likewise from a faulty fuel pump, or maybe a likewise old tractor, dripping hydraulic fluid, all sat there just waiting for a bit of rain, to produce skating on ice. Maybe then the dustbin wagon, drooling some foul smelling filth or other, the crew not giving a damm, or even the farmer, proceeding along the road, with five tons of liquid s**t in a bullet riddled trailer that saw service in Anzio, WW2.
Can you compare that lot with a dribble of H2o mixed with soap and a bit of body fat?? Naw. ::bigsmile::winky:

But all your examples should fail their statutory checks, you are right their discharge is worse than your soapy / greasy water, but not much.

The big difference is the examples you give could all claim ignorance:Angry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007

Hardly the point. It's the impression of us for non motorhomers. They don't know wether sink water or shite is being dumped.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
But all your examples should fail their statutory checks, you are right their discharge is worse than your soapy / greasy water, but not much.

Ignorance???? Right, sod the fact that a lethal concoction of petroleum is googling along our roads. 'Statuary Checks'??? Tractors don't need an MOT, no checks at all. Buses?? They are fitted with an overflow system from the fuel tank, same as your MH, but this lot is coming from the filler cap some idiot left off. Tell you what, I would rather have a swim in grey water, (try Hong Kong Harbour), then even consider doing the back stroke in carcinogenic fuel oil! Grey water is nothing, not even classed as a hazardous material. Its just.......water. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Talking of giving us a bad name ... I witnessed something I have never seen before when we went to Hornsea on Sunday in our camper. Late afternoon we parked up next to the sea front on an area right at the edge of the town but in front of a site of statics, it's been a parking area for yonks so not an issue there and although overnight parking isn't allowed, there is no restriction on day-time parking at all. What I witnessed though was what was totally new to me.

An American day van type camper drove in, proceeded to park at a right angle to the rest of us so his side doors were facing the sea itself, taking up at least 3 parking spaces in the process which was bad enough ... then to my amazement he got out and went to have a rummage in the back of it and shortly thereafter appeared with a chiminea followed by a large bag of charcoal, table, chairs and finally a large BBQ!!!! :Eeek: It was just afterwards that we went for our fish and chip supper so how long he was there I haven't a clue, but he definitely intended to use his BBQ and chiminea as he was setting them up as we left.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture ... I really wish I had now! :Doh:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Responsible disposal of grey water should not really be an issue, should it?
Surely it comes under the same banner as do not litter, and we should also consider the effect on others, not to mention the effect on the natural world. Respect.........
I don`t have an onboard waste tank, I use a black jerry can, or a bucket under my grey waste outlet, and dispose of it properly.
You call it a motor home, what do you do with your grey water at your domicile home?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
We are all different and have different values. You will never be able to convince someone who thinks he or she is in the right is in the wrong...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
...... Grey water is nothing, not even classed as a hazardous material.[HI] Its just.......water[/HI]. :thumb:

that being the case.. and who am I to argue.. so why does it stink like a sewer ..?

It may contain bacteria, dirt, food, grease, oil, body waste, detergent, hair, etc ..

This MAY be ok to dispose of in a hedge row.. but not on the Queens highway.

Also, how do you know it's not from a black tank ?.. not just USRVs , many European vans now have them... the public certainly don't know.

Whether hazardous or not isn't the point.. it is how it is perceived by the public..

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Responsible disposal of grey water should not really be an issue, should it?
Surely it comes under the same banner as do not litter, and we should also consider the effect on others, not to mention the effect on the natural world. Respect.........
I don`t have an onboard waste tank, I use a black jerry can, or a bucket under my grey waste outlet, and dispose of it properly.
You call it a motor home, [HI]what do you do with your grey water at your domicile home?[/HI]

Water the garden with it !!!:thumb:

Go on Grass me up !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
that being the case.. and who am I to argue.. so why does it stink like a sewer ..?

It may contain bacteria, dirt, food, grease, oil, body waste, detergent, hair, etc ..

This MAY be ok to dispose of in a hedge row.. but not on the Queens highway.

Also, how do you know it's not from a black tank ?.. not just USRVs , many European vans now have them... the public certainly don't know.

Whether hazardous or not isn't the point.. it is how it is perceived by the public..

Jim, my reason for answering on this thread in the first place was to, in some small way, point out the insignificance of the effects of so called 'grey water' on the environment as we now know it. For instance, approximately 200,000 homes in this country have incorrect connections to their 'grey water', (sinks, washing machines, etc), which means that said water ends up in (usually) local watercourses. This is brought about by properties that are fitted with duel waste drains/sewers......("Why have we so many manhole covers in our front garden, George?") Add to that the huge number of farms with silage compounds that feed contaminated water into canals, rivers, (now that stuff is lethal).
It smells if left lying around, as micro-organisms munch away at it, and break wind! If 'grey water' does leak onto a highway, it is soon washed away by the next rainfall, and dissipates harmlessly, unlike fuel/hydraulic oil, which does not. Agreed, the 'perception' of dirty water is 'not nice', but in environmental terms, the amounts being spoken about on this thread are not even measurable. I always get rid of mine at the MH point at whatever site we stay at, but that's not the issue here. To class bio-degradable 'grey water' as 'litter' is not correct, and is really on a par with saying "The smell from those fields will give us a fatal malady" .......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They don't know wether sink water or shite is being dumped.

Thats an easy one to answer. Step one, stick your index finger into it.
Step two, sniff your finger. Step three, (only for the very brave), have a lick.
If people in this world have got sod all else to do except 'wonder' what may be the content of something lying in the road, then they should get a hobby. :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
AHhhh, you ought to drive along some lovely Somerset roads at the moment--:whatthe:

Pure country bouquet to us locals down yer ,we knows our category of S**t .

Pig , cow , human , we can tell it all at a sniff :winky:

Grey waste around here helps to wash the local farm s**t and diesel off the roads:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I'm sure us motorcyclists know which is the more hazardous to our health - diesel on the road, or water with a bit of hair and grease chucked in for good measure.

:winky:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hazardous or not. better or worse than anything else isn't the point. It's how it is seen by other road users and pedestrians.

If motorhomers are seen to be behaving in an irresponsible manner they will never be welcome.

My grey waste at home goes into a holding tank as we have a high water table, part of the Tweed Valley system. We are not allowed to discharge directly onto the land or into a watercourse.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ignorance???? [HI]Grey water is nothing, [/HI]not even classed as a hazardous material. [HI]Its just.......water.[/HI] :thumb:

Ahhh! but!! how do you know that the little red light in the loo hasn,t been on EH? and they've used the sink EH?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm sure us motorcyclists know which is the more [HI]hazardous[/HI] to our health - diesel on the road, or water with a bit of hair and grease chucked in for good measure.

:winky:

Or unpleasant such as following a horse box or cattle truck when the inhabitants decide to relieve themselves.:Eeek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
so you would be quite happy for me to pull up onto your drive and empty the contents of my tank?
providing i didn't leak any oil or diesel:winky:

Of coarse I would. Be my guest!! I pour worse on the roses then you could possibly have in your tank. PM me for my address, in fact, you can have a brew whilst your 'sulphuric acid' pours out!
Just a word of warning, however. My last job, before retirement, was as a surface water and sewage engineer for Greater Manchester Authority, so be prepared to get a few lessons in highway drainage as you sip. :thumb: :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not see the difference in a bit of washing up water and washing your car or van on the road or drive::bigsmile: its soapy water

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I do not see the difference in a bit of washing up water and washing your car or van on the road or drive::bigsmile: its soapy water

Your absolutely correct. A point to consider. One of the biggest pollutants on UK highways, (biologically speaking), is road kill. And so next time you see a dead rabbit, crow, deer or whatever, stop at once, alight from your omnibus, and shovel it up! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Actually no they cannot.
Dropping a bit of grey waste is of absolutely no consequence as far as I am concerned..

As a matter of interest, do you add anything to your windscreen wash ?

Have you considered how bad THAT is for the environment and PTW users as the damned stuff is as slippery as all hell.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Actually no they cannot.
Dropping a bit of grey waste is of absolutely no consequence as far as I am concerned..

As a matter of interest, do you add anything to your windscreen wash ?

Have you considered how bad THAT is for the environment and PTW users as the damned stuff is as slippery as all hell.

We are not going to change each other opinions, but.....

as already said it is how bad it makes us all look

I got my legs splashed walking back onto the rally site at Chester by a fellow funster with your opinion

The first few corners will send out the last few, dirtiest litres, possibly in a pedestrian area, such as a busy Chester in my example, with visitors crossing the road to the Food Fair. It looks bad and is not nice, shows a lack of respect to others

As for the screen wash, I do use additive, but apply it in doses of about 100ml at a time, hardly comparable to 100 + litres and how little reaches the road and how well spread is it going to be, possibly not your best counter argument

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
hardly comparable to 100 + litres

So you are saying that fellow *Funsters* are opening their grey water tank valves, and proceeding in such a way so as to dump 100 + ltrs onto the highway, in the course of this splashing your legs??? :Eeek::Eeek:

Well, if that is really the case, (and I doubt not your truthfullness in this matter), I humbly apologise for the stance I have taken. Disgusting behaviour by a so called 'comrade and friend', to do that to you. :cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So I would like to get this straight..
When the van went past you was it full dump mode or was it the dregs sploshing out ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back