Oct 12, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all funsters

I think I once read that reverse polarity EHU was not a problem on continental vans (ours is a Burstner) as they have double pole switches. Do we need reversing connectors for a trip to France?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alby

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion, not neccessary.....but do check there is an earth present as a lot of older installation dont have an earth.

Whether its reversed or not, if theres no earth theres a real possibilty of electrocution.

Something like the tester in my link will confirm reversed polarity and earth status...simply plug into an unused 230v socket and read the lights.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alby and Lin

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks pappajohn. It's a new van so should be OK with the earth. I have a tested as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Yeah, the way it was explained to me was you should be ok with a supply that has no earth, as long as all your appliances are working ok. Its a motorhome, since when do all the appliances work at any given time?

Re reverse polarity, I have a couple of adapters which sort this out, I know some motorhomers re-wire an EHU cable but i'm not that capable! I also read somewhere that the European vans are set up to cope with reverse polarity, think it was in a copy of MMM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alby and Lin

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp