Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just got back in after a trip up to Dave Newell's after having Cruise Control Fitted. Fantastic service, 'Funsters Discount' and tickets for free entry to Blists Victorian Museum - brilliant!

Got a bit damp on our bikes but hey ho, what the heck. We'll be back one day to explore this area a bit more.

Thanks Dave and Jackie for excellent service, cruise control was played with on the way back home. Very satisfied. :Smile:

Rob & Lee

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Dave is BRILL!! Cant stop singing his praises myself. :thumb::thumb:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
so what speed would you set it at to go from leeds to dover ? for best MPG ? ours already has it fitted but i never use it,,,:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
so what speed would you set it at to go from leeds to dover ? for best MPG ? ours already has it fitted but i never use it,,,:Sad:

60MPH is a good compromise speed between fuel consumption and getting there in a reasonable time, I generally travel at 60 solo and 50 when towing.

D.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Roads are often too busy here for cruise control :Sad: In Europe i use it nearly all the time :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
" Roads are often too busy here for cruise control" Sorry to disagree but this is absolutely wrong! I use cruise control most of the time and I pretty much only travel in UK. I use it on my local 60MPH limited dual carriageway, I use it for hours on end on motorway journeys to various shows around the UK towing our exhibition trailer behind our motorhome, I use it when towing my race car to events, I use it in 30MPH limited areas, I use it in 40MPH limited areas. I used it in my Ducato last monday when collecting our daughters new (to her) car from Burnham on sea and didn't disengage it for about 70 miles! I don't use it in heavy stop start traffic and I don't generally use it on my 1.5 mile journey to work and back each day.

D.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
You must be one of the very fortunate ones who live where there is little traffic then. Count your blessings :thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
" Roads are often too busy here for cruise control" Sorry to disagree but this is absolutely wrong! I use cruise control most of the time and I pretty much only travel in UK. I use it on my local 60MPH limited dual carriageway, I use it for hours on end on motorway journeys to various shows around the UK towing our exhibition trailer behind our motorhome, I use it when towing my race car to events, I use it in 30MPH limited areas, I use it in 40MPH limited areas. I used it in my Ducato last monday when collecting our daughters new (to her) car from Burnham on sea and didn't disengage it for about 70 miles! I don't use it in heavy stop start traffic and I don't generally use it on my 1.5 mile journey to work and back each day.

D.

I agree with Dave, i use mine on the car and MH all the time, even in 30 mph areas.
I was there on friday to have a solar panel fitted, great job, will be back soon for a sat dome. Just got to sort a date out.
It wont be on a friday though, 1 hour 55 mins to get there, 3 hrs 40 mins to get home, traffic was horrendous.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You must be one of the very fortunate ones who live where there is little traffic then. Count your blessings :thumb:

Errr no, actually I live in Telford which is a busy medium sized town with lots of eejit drivers who don't look further than their own bonnet, but I do which enables me to use cruise control a fair proportion of the time. I also travel to motorhome shows in Peterborough, Newark, Lincoln, Malvern and Newbury and use the CC for most of the time on those journeys. Did you miss my bit about driving from Telford to Burnham on sea and back last Monday to collect a car with a trailer and the fact that I did about 70 miles on the M5 in both directions without disengaging it? I used to work for a company in Birmingham but about 30% of my work was at customers homes so I did about 35,000 miles a year, I'd guess that probably 25,000 - 30,000 of those miles were clocked up using cruise control. Your complaint that the UK is too congested for cruise control use is simply wrong I'm afraid.

D.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009

D.

Use my cruise control/speed limiter in my car and m/home as above.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I find it hits the fuel economy on my x250 130 fiat, cruising at no more than normal manual speed (55-60 mph) from around 29/30mpg down to 25 ish on a regular trip to Norfolk around 70miles. Bit of a mystery

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I find it hits the fuel economy on my x250 130 fiat, cruising at no more than normal manual speed (55-60 mph) from around 29/30mpg down to 25 ish on a regular trip to Norfolk around 70miles. Bit of a mystery

That is odd, most people (not all but definitely most) report an improvement in fuel consumption when using cruise control. The only reason I can see for it might be if when driving manually you allow speed to drop off on inclines where a CC system wuld apply more throttle to maintain speed.

D.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I use the cruise control on the old truck I drive to keep the engine revs up while loading so as not to run out of air. :Smile:

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
C Control

Had cruise control on all our vehicles for the last fifteen years, could'nt be without it, use it all the time, brought a Merc based Auto-trail, a few months ago, had CC fitted up in Hull, best £293 spent, takes lot of hassle out if driving and helps with fuel economy , mostly I keep around 2000 rpm, Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That is odd, most people (not all but definitely most) report an improvement in fuel consumption when using cruise control. The only reason I can see for it might be if when driving manually you allow speed to drop off on inclines where a CC system wuld apply more throttle to maintain speed.

D.

agreed Dave, on my Chrysler is a fuel economy graph.

Basically, the more i push down on the gas or climb gradients the lower the graph bar goes....driving hard (0 to 60 in 7 seconds) i've had it as low as 4mpg.....foot off and down hill shows its preset max of 48.5mpg

If i drive at a constant speed, 'cruise off', the graph varies enormously without a noticable increase of decrease in speed.

Now drive with cruise and the graph movement is vastly reduced.

The CC, which is linked to the ECU...... the ECU and cruise is far better equipt to control the small throttle movements needed to maintain a given speed than any human foot so saving fuel.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back