Northern lights (and don't mean Blackpool) (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just just watched absolutely fabulous J Lumley on her travels to see the Northern lights, which she did at Tromso.:thumb:
Has anyone been there in their MH and seen them. If so please tell the best route and the best time of year.
Shortest route is around 2000miles from Calais via Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden according to Autoroute, though this may not be the 'best' route.
Regrettably being only 'nearly retired' such a trip is out of the question in the near future but one can dream:RollEyes:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Can't speak for Tromso but we've seen the Northern Lights in Canada and they are definitely spectacular :thumb:

Fly to Calgary, hire a motorhome and drive North to the Northwest Territories or the Yukon. They can be seen most of the year, but they say they're at their best in the autumn or winter as nights are darker then. It always been summer when we've been there so we have to be up pretty late for it to be really dark.

Link Removed

Of course you'll also see the most amazing scenery of Western Canada if you do this trip. Well worth it. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Im sure one of our cousins from Escosse will clarify this for me, But I believe at certain times of year you can see the northern lights from the far north of Scotland at Autum time. Not sure where but in a previous thread on another forum that was suggested. I would love to see them but I don't know if there still be there by the time I retire ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
The Northern Lights are visible from the North of Scotland.
I've seen them often when I was stationed with the RAF up there.
I believe the weather has to be right of course and I found it best to view them in the winter time.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The Northern Lights are visible from the North of Scotland.
I've seen them often when I was stationed with the RAF up there.
I believe the weather has to be right of course and I found it best to view them in the winter time.
Yes you are right.
I've toured Scotland many times though never seen them myself as i've always been there at the 'wrong time'! As you say, winter is the best time....clear skies etc, but even if you don't see them you will certainly see some pretty dramatic sunsets and scenery in winter.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Its worth having a look at this site as there are some interesting links if you page down the threads, that have been posted about the Northern Lights (Aurora).

It appears its very important where you are against the time of year to actually see them, as it would be a pity to travel miles only to find out they aren't expected at that time/place.

Link Removed

Link Removed

hope that helps

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Back in the 80's/90's before I met Rich, he saw them in his back garden in Stoford (yeovil) it was a very clear night in october/november.It lasted for about 10-20 mins and exactly as it was shown on the programme. Apparently it was at the peak of solar spot activity~(11 year cycle or something). Rich recons it was a rare thing to see so far south
Lin

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
catch the ferry to denmark or norway and not too far to drive then

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
May be of interest

Link Removed

H

Happyjohn

Deleted User
Northern Lights

There is no need to travel so far, I have seen the northern lights twice in Scotland, once in Stirling and once in Aberdeen, the best time of year to see them is December and January not the best time to go camping due to the cold, it has to be very cold and clear if there is any chance of seeing them, but believe me they are spectacular, the first time I saw them they were like white fingers pointing towards the earth and the second time they war like a winding road in all the colours of the spectrum, you can find out if you have any chance to see them off the internet , Good Luck
:Smile:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Hi in 2000 I travelled to Tromso on a Moto Guzzi motorcycle & sidecar & went from Aberdeen to Lerwick ( Shetland ) then from Lerwick to Bergen & returned Bergen to Newcastle, not sure if the ferry from Shetland to Norway still sails though. Although I did not see the northern lights saw plenty of snow & had a job putting tent pegs into perma frost, but it was one of those journeys that stay with you for ever, magic. the ferry's are not cheap though.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
take the ferry to Bergen, if it still runs . Many years ago we went there with Fred Olsen Line.Maybe DFDS
I have been to the very North of Norway but alas, have never seen the Northern Lights, but would dearly love to!!!!!!!!!
Our son saw them in Russia a couple of years ago.
Pamala & Nigel

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Scalloway 2005

Attachments

• northern lights Scalloway 2005.jpg