Text from a scammer?How do they do it? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all, after putting my van up for sale on Gumtree I got a text message from a BILL WRIGHT -no number just the name -how do they do that ?Did not reply (don't do text) but a friend tried to text back saying please phone,it came back unable to send --Now we are both confused as to how they managed to send a name and no number ?
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
maybe not from a phone Terry.. you can text from a PC ..

through email, Skype, or a number of other free online services

Would that send a name Jim ? if so i may try and email it :Smile:--iis it me that has scammers on my mind ? :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Jim I will drop him a e mail :thumb: It does not help when he gives a gmail add on which to email him on:winky: :whatthe::Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Deleted User
I use skype regularly to send sms texts and I have often wondered how the recipients know who sent the text. I have now conducted an experiment and a little research !!

On skype sms settings it is possible to choose between your phone number or skype name being displayed to the recipient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks it looks like it is a scammer -just sent a email off telling him to ring me/will ring back and I suddenly get a email off gumtree telling me I have a message and asking me to log into gumtree --forwarding me to GT log in --the address was not Gts one :winky: but I could see how very easy it was to get caught out ,it looked exactly the same as the log in page-:Eeek:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back