Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I want to underseal the chassis, axles etc of my Kountrylite.
I want a black finish but can't for the life of me decide between ................
Waxoil black ( heated and sprayed on with a hand held plant water sprayer)
or
Halfords Black stone chip spray in 600ml spray cans.

Any advice one way or the other, or indeed alternatives, would be much appreciated.

Ta

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I once used an expanding black underseal on one of my cars & it was very easy to use from a simple spray can.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Last weekend I did the chassis, cross-members and suspension of my Hymer (Sprinter chassis). I used black Hammerite Waxoyl with the pump-up sprayer which works with a 2.5 litre pressure can. It worked fine and I used 7.5 litres to do the job, including inside the box sections. I think you would need a lot of aerosol cans! Then I used Hammerite underseal (with Waxoyl) to treat the underside of the timber flooring; this I applied with a brush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
waxoyl is far superior but dont try a standard garden sprayer, it needs a bigger jet to be effective. there are a couple of copies of waxoyl about these days, one from morris oils is pretty good too.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I find that Waxoyl washes off the exposed parts of the chassis.

Martin

Ahhhh, now that's interesting as I would say that most of what I want to spray is exposed flat surfaces and, if I'm honest, is probably going to be done more for cosmetic reasons than protection given the overkill thickness of American chassis steel.
Wonder if stone chip might be the better product for what I need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ahhhh, now that's interesting as I would say that most of what I want to spray is exposed flat surfaces and, if I'm honest, is probably going to be done more for cosmetic reasons than protection given the overkill thickness of American chassis steel.
Wonder if stone chip might be the better product for what I need.

Have you considered Black Hammerite, Direct to Rust Smooth Finish Aerosol ?

I use it to paint old rusty cast iron sewing machine stands, . looks great .. and it lasts..

I have one such stand converted to a garden table , out in all weathers and no rust.

Can have it in matt, gloss, aerosol or tin

Deleted User
I have used both a Lidl black metal paint and a screwfix version, both of which can be painted over surface rust but I have gone over with a wire brush first.

I must admit to not having done the whole of the chassis yet(winter project) but on the sections that I have done the results have been good, having said that I have not used the 5'er on the UK's salty roads for 3 years.

One of these products is much thicker than the other(can't remember which) but both can be thinned for ease of application . I have used brushes which is very laborious and time consuming but I dare say spraying when thinned using an electric spray gun would be a possibility.

Edit:
Just read Jim's post and the products I mention are similar products, but cheaper especially the Lidl, to the Hammerite which I can also recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back