May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
Hi,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help a couple of newbies, please?

We have a Dethleffs Esprit RT6874 which is new to us (and we are new to motorhoming, although we had a VW Trophy camper for a while before getting this).

The Dethleffs has an LCD-panel with six pressure-pad buttons that controls many of the electrics including the water pump.

I've managed to work out how to do simple things like switching on the 12V, but the instructions in the manual for the panel are confusing at best, and a lot of things are still not making much sense.

For instance, although the water tank has water in it, the water tank symbol continues to flash, and even when we have the gas connected we are getting the flashing Alarm symbol (we've checked for leaks and it's all sound, and the gas comes through fine).

Most annoying, though, is that we cannot figure out how to switch on the water pump. The water pump is only mentioned peripherally in the instructions, and we know which symbol ought to appear in the panel when it's on. We've even seen it once - fleetingly - when trying to work through the buttons - but it disappeared after a couple of seconds and we've not been able to make it appear again!

Because the symbol has popped up once, I'm inclined to believe (although I could be wrong) that the control for the water pump is through this panel and not elsewhere.

Does anyone else have this kind of panel, and if so, please could you give us some basic instructions on how to use it? Or, is there a separate or better manual somewhere that includes instructions for the water pump?

At least if we know how it's supposed to work, we can then tell whether it's our inexperience or a fault that needs looking at.

We would be most grateful for any help.

Heather & Jamie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know on some digital panels, the function only lights up when running. try turning on a tap then slowly work through the various button options. the tap will start spluttering or air will escape when you get to the pump option and the pump symbol will stay lit as it runs

is there no way to speak to the person or dealer you purchased from for more info?

otherwise, try posting a picture of the panel as this will aid helping you

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
On the unit above the door, press the top left button, so the display lights up.
Then the water tank symbol. Third down on the left. Display should change to the clean tank symbol from the current time.

Press the OK button on bottom right hand side. Symbol of a tap appears on bottom of display and pump is ready for use.

Lift any tap and switch in tap will start the pump.

If the tank symbols flash an alarm signal it usually means tank is empty. The tank may be empty or the signal from the level sensor in the tank may have been lost. The probes may have broken off or there is a loose connection check the top of the tank. Mine is under the seat in the dining area.

I will dig out my manual and try and get you a scanned copy, but it's quite thick and will take a few days.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think Dethleffs use the Shaudt Electroblock 12 volt charging and control system. If this is the case, yours probably has a Schaudt DT220 control panel. There is a copy of the manual in the Fun downloads section (home page - left hand navigation panel). Here is a link to it.
Broken Link Removed

If yours has a more recent control panel (LT 410 / 420) I suggest you email Udo Lang at Schaudt and ask him to email you an English Language PDF of the manual. He speaks good English and is very helpful.
Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is it possible that the flashing tank symbol relates to a full waste water tank?
This could be a faulty sensor or wiring (or a full waste tank!).

I have read on here before that some control systems won't let you add more water and switch off your water pump!:Eeek:

Its a really good, environmentally and biker friendly idea!:winky:
It would be a catastrophe if any of that soapy water leaked out of the overflow! It would be like Chernobyl all over again!:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you will soon learn that tank water indicators don't always work :Smile:best to ignore them and trust your own senses -empty the waste tank and fill the fresh -once you run out of fresh (listen to the pump) make sure you empty waste as well as fill the fresh :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
As Peter H has said, I always turn the 12v power on by pressing the bottom left button. This will power up your MH. Then press the tank button above the 12v button and then press the ok button, bottom right button.

This will turn your water pump on and the tap symbol will be displayed.

If your tank alarm is flashing, I'd completely fill the tank and see if it still flashes. If it does then the tank probes are faulty. Locate your fresh water tank and unscrew the big screw in the top. Reach in with your hand and feel around. There should be 4 metal prongs of varying length. This is the sensor. Give it a scrum with a pan scrub. It's very easy to change too if it's faulty.

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Dear all

I do apologise for dropping completely off the map like that. We have just come back from the North Yorks National Park, and though it was utterly beautiful, I didn't manage to get connected to the net for nearly a week (both a good and a bad thing), and had mobile coverage only once.

THANK YOU for all the messages below. I will try them - especially Peter's, as his description of the buttons sounds exactly right - and report back. I love this messageboard already!

Now I'm off in search of mosquito solutions, since poor Jamie (and Little Legs, our 9-y-o goddaughter) are peppered with bites. I obviously don't smell good to mosquitos, but they both look as though they have smallpox, so I'm on the hunt for the best solution!

Heather

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it possible that the flashing tank symbol relates to a full waste water tank?
This could be a faulty sensor or wiring (or a full waste tank!).

I have read on here before that some control systems[HI] won't let you add more water and switch off your water pump[/HI]!:Eeek:

Its a really good, environmentally and biker friendly idea!:winky:
It would be a catastrophe if any of that soapy[HI] water leaked out of the overflow[/HI]! It would be like Chernobyl all over again!:ROFLMAO:

note highlight 1.......

Why bother with highlight 2 ?

It either needs an overflow because the system doesnt shut down or it doesnt need an overflow because the system does shut down. :Doh:

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
Just wondered if anyone knows the make and model of the control panel on my 1999 Dethleffs Esprit. It is the one that is in the centre of the dash and the electronics box is tucked under the glove compartment.
Thanks.

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
An update. Our leisure battery died quite comprehensively after our last trip out, so we were in the workshop today where our fabulous technician, Mick, changed out the battery for us and tested the pump. It works! Peter H's instructions were bob-on. We also had the probes checked, and they seem to be working now that the pump is also working (weirdly, the tank was showing empty all the time

Also, the Schaudt DT220 control panel instructions that JeanLuc linked to seem to be the right ones, so we are set fair. This weekend I have to figure out how to check that the panel is set for a 100-Amp battery, so that it switches off at 80% and can't discharge too far.

I am determined to get to grip with all the technicals! (I am the least technical person you could ever meet).

Many thanks for all the contributions and suggestions. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
An update. Our leisure battery died quite comprehensively after our last trip out, so we were in the workshop today where our fabulous technician, Mick, changed out the battery for us and tested the pump. It works! Peter H's instructions were bob-on. We also had the probes checked, and they seem to be working now that the pump is also working (weirdly, the tank was showing empty all the time

Also, the Schaudt DT220 control panel instructions that JeanLuc linked to seem to be the right ones, so we are set fair. This weekend I have to figure out how to check that the panel is set for a 100-Amp battery, [HI]so that it switches off at 80% and can't discharge too far. [/HI]

I am determined to get to grip with all the technicals! (I am the least technical person you could ever meet).

Many thanks for all the contributions and suggestions. :Smile:

not sure which way to take that statement......80% discharged or 80% remaining charge.

Either way its wrong.....50% is the accepted discharge/remaining charge before recharging.
Unless of course you have Gel or AGM batteries

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
not sure which way to take that statement......80% discharged or 80% remaining charge.

Either way its wrong.....50% is the accepted discharge/remaining charge before recharging.
Unless of course you have Gel or AGM batteries

Hi PappaJohn, I'm told that a battery should not be allowed to run right down to nothing: it should be set to switch off at a set point before that happens because sometimes it's difficult to get the battery to pick up a charge again if it's gone too far (someone will no doubt tell me if I'm talking through my hat - but that's my undestanding of it!)

If the new battery is not exactly the same Ampage as the old one, it can knock out the set point, making it too high (so it cuts out too soon) or too low (so it doesn't cut out soon enough) So, the idea is to check the % that the control panel now thinks it's at, and adjust.

I hope I've made sense. And, if I'm talking rhubarb, I'm happy to be corrected!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HI as John says 50% is the normal see chart Broken Link Removed

terry

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Nominal battery capacity

Hi, I think you mean this?

Set up the installed (nominal) battery capacity for the leisure battery

Press the “Battery menu” button.
The display will illuminate.
The remaining utilisable leisure battery capacity will now be displayed. Press the “Set up” menu button and keep it held down for at least 3 s.
The display will change over to battery menu set up mode.
The maximum utilisable leisure battery capacity will now be displayed. The system uses the “installed (nominal) battery capacity” to calculate this value.
Now press the “Set up” menu button once again as long as the display is lit up.
The installed (nominal) leisure battery capacity display will flash.
Standard factory setting: 130 Ah
The nominal battery capacity (e. g. in the event of retrofitting a battery) can be set up in the 90 Ah to 495 Ah range.
Entering the K100 setting (multiply the K20 setting by 1.125 and use the result if this has not been entered previously).
Use the “+” or “-” buttons to adjust the setting.
Confirm the entry by pressing “OK”.
The installed (nominal) leisure battery capacity will be displayed conti-
nuously.
If the installed battery capacity changes or if the “OK” button in the cor- responding programming menu is pressed, the control and switch panel of the remaining battery capacity is initially set at 50% and is followed by a question mark until the battery is fully charged again (e.g. 75 Ah?).
If the installed battery capacity should only be displayed but not adjusted, you must not press the “OK” button. To leave the menu press one of the menu buttons (the menu is automatically switched off after 20 se- conds).
Press the “OK” button if the display is lit up.
Press the “Battery menu” button when you have completed all of the entries.
The display will remain illuminated.
The remaining utilisable leisure battery capacity will now be displayed. The system uses the current leisure battery charge status to calculate this setting.

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Smidge is great for most biting insects, and is less toxic than deet

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We could always have a seance if you really want to bring threads back from the dead. just 5 years old this time lol

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Have my own water pump question with a video but can’t seem to upload it. Have searched for posts on how to do that.... and trawled this up

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Fantastic!
I think this is the oldest thread I’ve accidentally read from start to finish.
“Accidentally” as in.......was never meant to happen!
I hope the water pump works by now.:D:D:D(y)(y)(y);););)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have my own water pump question with a video but can’t seem to upload it. Have searched for posts on how to do that.... and trawled this up
upload the video to youtube and link it to here. the forum can't host the video

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back