SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Just in case anyone is considering buying a system, last year I had an Oyster 85cm dish fitted with internet capability including a router so you have your own personal hotspot. It was not cheap, costing around £3500 to fit the system, it has automatic skew etc and I pay £30 a month for 10GB of data although there are cheaper plans. I am still test-driving it but so far it has worked everywhere I have been. This includes the Algarve, Southern Spain, Italy and my current location, Taormina in Southern Sicily. Obviously the further you get from the UK the slower the connection but I should be out of the footprint by now so I'm happy. It's raining here right now :cry: but still working.
I have an Iboost D800 Pro booster system which I use when wifi is free at campsites (it also works great) but next year I intend to utilise a lot more aires so I will need the van wifi. TV reception is no different to normal 85cm dishes, although with this system you can't use the internet and TV at the same time (doesn't really matter further down than France thanks to Sky etc) :Angry:. Probably no good if you like streaming movies etc as they obviously use a lot of data, I have found that its not very good for streaming anyway (certainly from the south of France when I tried to watch my team unluckily lose to the blue Mancs in the League Cup Final).
Anyway, I hope this may be helpful if it is something you are considering and, for the cynical Funsters out there (you know who you are) I am not connected to anybody who flogs dishes or internet packages, hence no companies have been mentioned! :ROFLMAO:

ps the weathers getting worse, bit thunder and lightning around, should I drop the dish? I know its not a kite with a key but...

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have a similar system fitted, through "Beyonds SL"...No limit, used it all over France/Spain & Portugal...

Worked superbly, till we got to Calais the night before we sailed home.. then nuffink.. :Sad:

Locked on and said we had locked on,,,, but just would not connect..

Went to some one in Devon who was supposed to know about these things, but could not fix it,,, and charged me for the privelage of not fixing it..:Angry:

Found a guy in Exeter, (Through a member of RVOC) who came to my house and did tests and between him and Beyonds decided my Modem was not right... so sent the modem to London (Beyonds, Satellite International.) and they are sorting it.. :thumb:

Cost`s £49-95 for connection and £24-99 a month for unlimited use...

Brilliant while it works... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

Dont know how much for the Modem upgrade/Repair is going to cost, but they are only about £80 new.. (I think)... :RollEyes:

PS... Yes drop your dish... if that gets blown down heavy like it will cost you a good bit for a replacement rotating twizzling LNB.. plus the added weight of that big LNB can put a strain on the sheer pin on your Oyster Dish... :Sad:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
But as discussed here before, can be done for a lot less than £3500 and you can use the
internet and TV at the same time.

I will be looking into doing it when we get back from our current trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Old-mo, I think Beyondsl is what I have as well, I know I had to choose between them and another supplier. Didn't see the unlimited package mind! Surprised yr system stopped working as soon as you left the UK, I know they changed the carrier parameter settings in February for the satellites and I checked mine, they had been updated automatically thank f...the Lord.

Encantador, yeah I seem to remember chipping in on a previous post, if it involves any kind of techy-electrical-diy work I give up before I break things these days and just pay someone to do it. Too many broken toys over the years, in fact my satnavs playing up since I added some custom POI'S :Doh:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Old-mo, I think Beyondsl is what I have as well, I know I had to choose between them and another supplier. Didn't see the unlimited package mind! [HI]Surprised yr system stopped working as soon as you left the UK,[/HI] I know they changed the carrier parameter settings in February for the satellites and I checked mine, they had been updated automatically thank f...the Lord.

Encantador, yeah I seem to remember chipping in on a previous post, if it involves any kind of techy-electrical-diy work I give up before I break things these days and just pay someone to do it. Too many broken toys over the years, in fact my satnavs playing up since I added some custom POI'S :Doh:

Hi.... sorry I might not have written that right...

We bought the van last Oct and it was already in...

We signed up with Beyond,,, and did just over three months around France/Spain & Portugal..... and it worked superbly... every where... :thumb:

It was coming back to the UK and our last night in France at the Calais aire that it packed up... :Sad:

I`m the same as you... I don`t understand any of it.. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
In that case it does sound like the hardware if it was working abroad previously. Hope you get it sorted :thumb:

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
My hardware is fine but since I'm flying solo the servicing is a problem..:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Installation can also be difficult..

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
This post could go on all day ::bigsmile:
The way I see it, women have got it wrong, we don't think about sex every 12 minutes, its actually solving technical problems, this can involve hardware and software :Eeek: and can be influenced by keeping the equipment correctly lubricated :beerchug:. Too much and the equipment may malfunction...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back