No claims discount (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I will need to renew my insurance in a month or so and am looking for insurers that allow me to use the no claims bonus (10 plus years) that I have built up on my car, whilst still applying it to the car.

When I first bought the motorhome I was in a hurry to get insurance so not enough time to do a good search. I was shocked to find out that many companies will not take my car no claims into account if I am keeping the car. I ended up with Saga who gave me a 40% "first time" discount that I will loose this year. Hence the need to change.

Any insurers names that allow this would be gratefully received. Thanks

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Over the years I have had Insurance for motorhomes and vans and I never found a Company who would give a NCD based on my Private car's NCD.

Insurance companies always told me I had to build up separate NCD's for each vehicle.

Always used to get first time discounts but, as you say, these finish after the first year.

Whilst I am no longer in the market for different Insurances it will be interesting to see what other Funsters have experienced.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

When I swapped from from tugging to motorhoming I was with Safeguard.
They accepted my nine years plus NCD and put it onto the 'van.

I'm not saying that net, i got the absolutely best deal but it meant that I didn't get stung for 'Administration Fees' etc.
They returned the unused portion of the Caravan Insurance, threw in a £100 Discount (that bit was dubious, given the amount they charged me)
After a bit of a kerfuffle, they even returned the unused part of the Breakdown Cover that they had included with the tugging Insurance, (They said it couldn't be continued when their T & C's said it could).

The proof will be in the eating when I renew next winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Safeguard do not give you ALL of your discount. They use the term mirrored but only actually give you a couple of years from your car discount. Over time this is whittled down as you build up your own NCD
I have just renewed for the 5th year and still pay no more than I did 5 yrs ago.
£341 but I don't bother with NCD protection.

EDIT it is wise to opt for the maximum voluntary excess too.
I would never dream of making a minor claim as you end up paying for it anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
I have three cars insured on a multi-car policy with Admiral. I tried to add the motorhome but they would not have it! You can add vans to multi-car policies but any vehicle with toilet facilities onboard does not qualify as a van according to Admiral.

I insured with AIB this year and they advised that not all motorhome insurers offer no claims discount. AIB without NCD were cheaper than my previous insurance policy which was quoted with 2years NCD. Taking the time to phone around will probably save you more money that building a no claims discount history with one insurance provider.

Happy with AIB so far!

Richard

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
HI

When I first purchased the MH, I insured with SafeGuard, who set up my initial policy with the same NCD as I had on my Car, I think I had to send proof, but they started me then on what I had, with no sacrifice to my car policy.

Hope that helps

Kev

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

Sorry I didn't get back to answer the question posed above by Peter,(I was having my cheeky FREE!!! coffee at Waitrose's)

Peterc10, Yes I am still getting the NCD from my car provider. In fact, since I insured my Motorhome, I have had to reinsure the Car. I fully disclosed that we have another vehicle in the family, ie the motorhome, but I still got the NCD on the car, in fact, I only paid £119 net for the Audi A6 Avant. I know it's knocking on and not worth much but I think £119 is a steal.

Can I thank Techno for his comment. I wasn't aware that 'Mirroring' did not mean like for like in terms of NCD but Lord help them if they try to hang me out to dry next winter. There's plenty of Insurance Co.'s to get a quote from.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi there are plenty of insurers that will "MIRROR" your cars NCD for the first yr then they want you to insure the van in it's own right --but--you can still go with another ins co that will again Mirror your cars NCD thus building up a full NCD for the van -- I always tell the new ins co what I am doing and it was never a problem No idea if things have changed over the last couple of yrs - :thumb:
if you think finding a co to do that Try going from a traders policy to private car one :Eeek: then the fun begins ::bigsmile:
terry

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Again,

Sorry I didn't get back to answer the question posed above by Peter,(I was having my cheeky FREE!!! coffee at Waitrose's)

Peterc10, Yes I am still getting the NCD from my car provider. In fact, since I insured my Motorhome, I have had to reinsure the Car. I fully disclosed that we have another vehicle in the family, ie the motorhome, but I still got the NCD on the car, in fact, I only paid £119 net for the Audi A6 Avant. I know it's knocking on and not worth much but I think £119 is a steal.

Can I thank Techno for his comment. I wasn't aware that 'Mirroring' did not mean like for like in terms of NCD but Lord help them if they try to hang me out to dry next winter. There's plenty of Insurance Co.'s to get a quote from.

If your renewal quote is more than you expect then very definitely phone them and ask why!
Mine was £381 :Eeek: So asked why it had increased by 10% despite gaining another years NCD. After a minute away from the phone she came back and apologised as they had missed a £40 discount off :ROFLMAO: a likely tale NOT but it saved me £40 :thumb:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If your over 50 SAGA will mirror your car/camper insurance either way.

No they won't.

That is who I am with and they would not mirror my NCD from my car. Point blank told me "no". I was shocked as I was about to accept their quote that included the 60% NCD I had from my car. I happened to mention that I was, as I thought obvious, keeping my car as well as the motorhome and they said that I could not have the same NCD on both policies. Instead all they could offer was a 40% discount for first year.

At that time I was about to pick up the motorhome in a few days and the dealer wanted to insurance documents so he could get it taxed at the PO. So I was forced into accepting it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
No they won't.

That is who I am with and they would not mirror my NCD from my car. Point blank told me "no". I was shocked as I was about to accept their quote that included the 60% NCD I had from my car. I happened to mention that I was, as I thought obvious, keeping my car as well as the motorhome and they said that I could not have the same NCD on both policies. Instead all they could offer was a 40% discount for first year.

At that time I was about to pick up the motorhome in a few days and the dealer wanted to insurnce documents so he could get it taxed at the PO. So I was forced into accepting it.

Sorry but they do as my current car and motorhome insured that way.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well they refused me! Do you have your car insurance with them, as that may be the difference?

Probably the case got a good deal on the motor policies with them.

As it happens got my house with them as well.

Sadly they won't insure my motorbike.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Probably the case got a good deal on the motor policies with them.

As it happens got my house with them as well.

Sadly they won't insure my motorbike.

John if you still struggling with motorbike, try BIKESURE to see if they can help. Joy

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your renewal quote is more than you expect then very definitely phone them and ask why!
Mine was £381 :Eeek: So asked why it had increased by 10% despite gaining another years NCD. After a minute away from the phone she came back and apologised as they had missed a £40 discount off :ROFLMAO: a likely tale NOT but it saved me £40 :thumb:

Hi Again,

WHATEVER my renewal quote is, I will be ringing around if I can (I hope not to be in the UK at the end of January) to every Insurance Co. to see what their quotes are.

I never ACCEPT renewal 'offers' without finding out what the opposition have to offer.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always search whenever insurance on any of the cars comes up for renewal. Sometimes the existing company will match my new quote from the comparison site, if they don't I change as there is no reward for loyalty. As a bonus we nearly have a full set of meerkats.:thumb:

The motorhome is more difficult as the car insurers don't give the required cover so usually stick with Comfort.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Safeguard do not give you ALL of your discount. They use the term mirrored but only actually give you a couple of years from your car discount. Over time this is whittled down as you build up your own NCD
I have just renewed for the 5th year and still pay no more than I did 5 yrs ago.
£341 but I don't bother with NCD protection.

EDIT it is wise to opt for the maximum voluntary excess too.
I would never dream of making a minor claim as you end up paying for it anyway.

now thats odd......

I insured my RV with safeguard and they gave 65% ncd mirroring my car ncb.

But It [HI]does not[/HI] acrue a no claim bonus in its own right, so if i make a claim on the car it will also reflect on the RV renewal premium.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have limited our mileage also to reduce the premium ( 6000 a year) and cheaper to insure if the storage place if you use one is cassoa registered. Our premium £270 including a third driver (a friend who might want to use it) including breakdown cover. Best to look at the premium not the ncd!!!:thumb:

David

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Had a similar issue with NCD my first motorhome year but CC insured and offered 4 years intro. The renewal was shall we say ridiculous.

I then found Comfort and was equally surprised by the much lower premium. Shortly to see what the renewal will be!

What was a bit shocking was CC said they couldn't match Comfort as they offered flat rate insurance. No NCD earned etc.

So asked CC if they then charged me a premium rate to offer me a discount on if I was a good boy. Having said that not sure what happens with comfort if you claim.

Anyone experienced a claim with comfort and the following renewal premium?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have limited our mileage also to reduce the premium ( 6000 a year) and cheaper to insure if the storage place if you use one is cassoa registered. Our premium £270 including a third driver (a friend who might want to use it) including breakdown cover. Best to look at the premium not the ncd!!!:thumb:

David

David, Thanks, but who are you with please?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Embarrased to say so but motorhome facts :Blush:. When we got our first motorhome we went on the net and landed there before we found the joy of fun. The policy is with aviva you can phone 020 8984 5311 to get a quote but will have to pay to join the dark side to get the discount included in the quote. I did try on renewal to get a discount for being on fun but they wouldn't it was still cheap after paying the sub did try others first year but didn't bother for the second.They do 2 levels of cover top includes breakdown but best to check.

David

brightsparkretired

Free Member
Nov 30, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 580PR
Exp
Since 1996

David

Who are u with - please tell:roflmto:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
now thats odd......

I insured my RV with safeguard and they gave 65% ncd mirroring my car ncb.

But It [HI]does not[/HI] acrue a no claim bonus in its own right, so if i make a claim on the car it will also reflect on the RV renewal premium.

Odd again.

At present I have my no claim bonus mirrored 3 times so it's used for 4 vehicles in total. All three companies that are "mirroring" said that at renewal time I would have the equivalent NCB for that vehicle in its own right. All three of them will allow me to protect the NCB at mirrored amount + 1 year on renewal. One of them renews in a few days and they appear to be true to their word - the premium is £100 less than last year.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Odd again.

At present I have my no claim bonus mirrored 3 times so it's used for 4 vehicles in total. All three companies that are "mirroring" said that at renewal time I would have the equivalent NCB for that vehicle in its own right. All three of them will allow me to protect the NCB at mirrored amount + 1 year on renewal. One of them renews in a few days and they appear to be true to their word - the premium is £100 less than last year.
Hi NickNic. That sounds good. Can you tell me who your insurer is please?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi NickNic. That sounds good. Can you tell me who your insurer is please?

Two of them are manufacturers own insurance services but I believe both are underwritten by Allianz. The third one for the MH is Caravan Guard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back