Quick question! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We had to have our solar panel removed and re-fitted today as we had a leak where the cable comes in the roof. The fitter advised us not to drive for 12 hours so we are parked on an Aire round the corner from the service centre. It has been raining on and off since and more rain is forecast. 12 hours doesn't seem very long and will it take longer to go off in the damp/wet conditions. When would you say we can safely drive further south in search of the elusive french sun?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Depends on what sealer he's used, I would get him back ASAP to sort it! you don't want water in your roof, you never know where it will end up, and the damage it will cause.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Depends on what sealer he's used, I would get him back ASAP to sort it! you don't want water in your roof, you never know where it will end up, and the damage it will cause.

Not sure you understood my question. It is all sealed now and was done at a Hymer dealership (don't even ask what they charged, I'm still raging about that one) but my only concern is how long before we can safely drive? P.s. It was silka 222

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure you understood my question. It is all sealed now and was done at a Hymer dealership (don't even ask what they charged, I'm still raging about that one) but my only concern is how long before we can safely drive? P.s. It was silka 222

12 hours is more than enough. It will still harden further but after 12 hours you can consider the panel immoveable.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Fitted mine in the morning, By the afternoon I was 200 miles away, and I've just checked out my window and its still on nearly 3 years later, and my sat dish, :thumb:

go now, go forth and find the good weather
:Cool::Cool:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

Oops, sorry mis-read uour post. Glad all is well now, just keep an eye on the inside roof for damp appearing in the future, as I said it can appear anywhere, depending how long it's been leakiing for.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Oops, sorry mis-read uour post. Glad all is well now, just keep an eye on the inside roof for damp appearing in the future, as I said it can appear anywhere, depending how long it's been leakiing for.

you never know, poor coolbeanz could be posting its leaking tomorrow, in that case your more than justified :winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sika 222 will form a skin within an hour, then will set fully within 4 hours. then over the next few days it will form a polyurethane rubber type compound. if the fitter used accelerator on it, the sika will set even quicker

i would say give it 4 hours before putting too much force on it, 12 is overkill

once the skin has formed rain water wont affect it

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What idiot fitted the entry grommet under the panel :roflmto: :Doh:

I do. I don't use any of the (poor) entry systems normally available. I use a short section of threaded plastic pipe with nuts tightened against the inner & outer skins & leave a 25mm upstand above the roof surface. The cable is sealed where it leaves the pipe using polybutyl tape but water will never get near it because of the upstand and the fact that it's protected by the panel. Panel - roof recommended clearance is 50mm anyway so the space might as well be used for something. What is of more concern is a panel fitted so it can't be removed without destroying the adhesive: mine are fixed to their mountings with threaded fasteners. The mountings are fixed to the roof using Sikaflex.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back