TomTom Caravan Camper version query (1 Viewer)

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I am interested in buying the Tomtom Caravan and Camper version, and wondered in addition to the actual Camping and Caravan POI's it contains, does it also have the same POI's that my current Go Live 5005 Europe has, or do you loose them?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have just bought this for our tom tom. But we have a query with it, upon testing a route in the Peak district it suggested going over winnets pass with the Motorhome. :Eeek: we tried putting in caravan details and it did the same. When we sent an email querying it we got a reply such as "have we switched it onto the correct map" !! So if it is not sorted, we will be asking our money back, as it should not do that. :Mad:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As I understand it TomTom doesn't have any map data concerning road widths and weight restrictions so all the Camping and Caravan version can do is give you a route that keeps you on the biggest roads possible i.e. A roads even if it makes the journey much longer. Because of this it won't send you along a perfectly passable road but may send you somewhere you would rather not attempt. So not worth the extra money - buy a standard one and a truckers atlas to double check.
I did read somewhere that this is pretty much the same for all so called caravan sat navs but am happy to be corrected on that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We returned the TomTom one as although it allows you to input the size of your vehicle it seems to make absolutely no difference to the routing it chooses! Now have the Garmin Truck Dezl 560 LMT (has motorhome setting) which was £60 cheaper & so far so good but not fully tested yet.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have just bought this for our tom tom. But we have a query with it, upon testing a route in the Peak district it suggested going over [HI]winnets pass[/HI] with the Motorhome. :Eeek: we tried putting in caravan details and it did the same. When we sent an email querying it we got a reply such as "have we switched it onto the correct map" !! So if it is not sorted, we will be asking our money back, as it should not do that. :Mad:
We took our motorhome up and down the pass several times over the course of 3 days last month. No problems at all :thumb:

Although we no longer use TomTom ... got get up with their rip off prices

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Well amazing but TomTom agreed the map should not send us via winnets pass and have given us a refund! We are being instructions for deleting the map of the satnav.

Result, better sticking to the ordinary map and truckers atlas. Even theough the truckers atlas doesn't indicate the road has an issue.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We took our motorhome up and down the pass several times over the course of 3 days last month. No problems at all :thumb:

Although we no longer use TomTom ... got get up with their rip off prices

So many people on the internet have been complaining about this road. The campsite warn about it as well. But maybe it is ok! I to chicken to try and will stick to the main roads :RollEyes:

Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
tom tom motorhome

Hi
We have had the tom tom motorhome caravan (europe) version since it was new out. the first problem was that it would not allow one to enter a vehicle weight greater than 3500kg !. whilst that was sorted out by an update it still has its quirks. It has sent us over a max 2 tonne bridge, tried to get us under low bridges and often tells us (wrongly) that the road ahead is closed to motorhomes. It routes us all over the place and we have to constantly check its routing by map reading. Its favorite trick to avoid 3.5tonne limits is to take us on a detour around the actual sign and put us on the road but just further on from the max3.5tonne sign. I would not recommend it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont believe your satnav......mine sent me here. :RollEyes::winky:

Attachments

• Picture 238 (Large).jpg
    Picture 238 (Large).jpg