LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I contacted the council last night to ask whether the plans for the aire have simply been delayed or have they been cancelled.

I've received a response this morning but not good news I'm afraid - "Unfortunately those particular plans have been put on hold for the moment as there has been opposition from local caravan parks."

I've replied pointing out that the "aire" would probably attract people who don't want all the facilities of a caravan park but it looks like the council is currently having problems trying to find a solution acceptable to local businesses (who they obviously have a duty to) as well as to ourselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If the campsites offered overnight motorhome parking for £5/night, they might have a valid objection.

Otherwise, it's a bit like a pub objecting because the council wanted to open a tea room in the park.

By the way - many thanks for all the work you put in on parking matters. :thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]If the campsites offered overnight motorhome parking for £5/night, they might have a valid objection.
[/HI]
Otherwise, it's a bit like a pub objecting because the council wanted to open a tea room in the park.

By the way - many thanks for all the work you put in on parking matters. :thumb::thumb:

I would guess that local caravan sites (and possibly some councillors) don't appreciate that aires would attract people seeking a different type of. That is why I replied to the council pointing it out.

If anyone else wishes to make a similar point the contact page is Here. Constructive comment in support of the aire might help alleviate any fears which caravan site owners have.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't think caravan site owners quite grasp the fact that people who don't want a camp site won't be forced into it for lack of other local facilities.. (aires) .. They will just go elsewhere.. everyone loses..

It's like a hairdresser shop not stocking over the counter hair products to encourage more business, it doesn't work like that .. :Doh:

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
I wrote to them yesterday and this is the response I got!

At present this facility is not available.
I am sorry that we have been unable to progress this scheme at the moment but this is due to originally being advised that a planning application was not required. We have been experiencing extreme opposition to the scheme from the caravan sites in the area and therefore as a result of this opposition it is now necessary to submit a planning application for the change of use. We are in the process of obtaining planning consent but this may take 6-8 weeks, but once approval has been gained we would be able to open the site to motorhome users within a week.
Parking Services

For the Shared Service Partnership of West Dorset District Council and Weymouth and Portland Borough Council

*Parking Services, Stratton House, 58/60 High West Street, DORCHESTER, Dorset DT1 1UZ

*Parking Services, Council Offices, North Quay, WEYMOUTH, Dorset, DT4 8TA

(01305 838236

parkingadmin@westdorset-weymouth.gov.uk

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nice to see that they are still going for it. It appears that the council has got the message that the "aire" will probably attract a different "audience" even if the sites haven't.

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
I seem to remember that in 1966 a certain Mr Billy Butlin had some grand ideas for This site at Lodmoor it would have brought hundreds of jobs plus thousands of more visitors.

The Caravan/Guest house/Hotel owners objected to Mr Butlins plans ,it would lower Weymouths image .

Weymouth has a history of completely cocking things up, the latest being the Olympics , the hotels/guest houses put there prices up so much no body came, the sailing events were so far out to sea you needed a telescope to see anything,
The Park and Ride was a grass field seven miles away on the Dorchester bypass,hardly surprising then that most of the buses did not move a inch.

Weymouth once had a thriving docks it was also a busy ferry port,sadly no more,due to decades of neglect, not to mention Bodgery the entire quay might could and probably one day will fall into the harbour thereby trapping inside harbour all the moored yachts motor boats the (now) only income from this once lovely little harbour,sad realy

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Too many old farts on the council to embrace changes...

They want to keep the town as it was in the Victorian days...:mad:

Having lived there for over 50 yrs, it`s upsetting to see a once thriving lovely town go down the pan... :(

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Weymouth and Portland Council have one of the largest deficits in the country - and they are doing everything to try and reduce it by having the highest council taxes and parking charges around. A trip to Weymouth will see "a tart in fine clothing" - the "clothing" provided by the Olympic debacle and the "tart" provided by the impossible attitude and policies of the council towards anything new and an indifferent attitude to the business world and their financial burdens. A letter in our local paper really rather summed it up with "Parking in Weymouth £2.40 for two hours - empty shops; parking in Dorchester (8 miles away) £1 for two hours, full shops and redevelopment". I am so glad I live in Dorchester

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back