This may affect overnighting in supermarket carparks (1 Viewer)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
What ever next ! not strictly motorhomes but may puyt off supermarkets allowing overnighting. Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Do any other countries have problems with (for want of a more suitable term) "the travelling community"? If so how do they deal with it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do any other countries have problems with (for want of a more suitable term) "the travelling community"? If so how do they deal with it?

Other countries have Romany populations but Irish Travellers seem to be mainly confined to the UK, Ireland (where they are recognised as a social group but not an ethnic group) and the USA (descendants of post-famine settlers). Legislation is also different in other countries and that enables unauthorised sites to be promptly dealt with.

If Asda continue to have problems the likely outcome is that they will install barriers (which, if fixed, would affect all large vehicles). No supermarket in the UK will admit to a policy of allowing overnight camping by motorhomes as it would be likely to lead to a breach of the 1960 Act.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Well it seems like 'its not what you know, its who you know' in another case :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

GYPSIES sparked a security scare when they pitched up near the grace-and-favour country mansion shared by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Foreign Secretary William Hague.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/42...-guards-to-set-up-camp-in-Nick-Clegg-s-garden

Ooops. I thought the circular Elsan point was a bit OTT. :Blush:::bigsmile:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Well it seems like 'its not what you know, its who you know' in another case :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

GYPSIES sparked a security scare when they pitched up near the grace-and-favour country mansion shared by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Foreign Secretary William Hague.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/42...-guards-to-set-up-camp-in-Nick-Clegg-s-garden

No use for us Funsters. We like class not show and it probably hasn't hook-up, a chemical
point or a water tap. Whe wants to slum it with Gypsies. I think most of us know what we
would like done to these so called travellers. During my fulltime working life I had cause to
do jobs for these lot and you NEVER received money just threats.
How about 50 of us Funsters taking over a playfield. How long would it take them to remove us????? Not long as we are taxpayers so are supposed to act responsible. It never
appears to ever work in our favour though.
Better go am getting steamed up over this isue and these .........

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
ASDAs parent company Walmart permit stays in their store parks in the USA and Canada. A chum of mine is a retired Garda Siochana,his opinion of travellers,especially the ones here are very colourful.Suffice to say he reckons that if they came back to Eire,the majority of them would be arrested as soon as they came of the boat.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not just Asda am afraid. On the way home from Germany the other night I called at the 24 hour Tesco store at the top of the hill coming out of Dover on the A2. I went in to do some shopping and intended having a few hours kip on the carpark. On returning to the van I noticed a sign saying 3 hours maximum with number plate recognition. So off I went back to the store and asked the assistant manager what the position was regarding me doing what I had done for years. Having a few hours sleep before setting off north. He said they had to stop motorhome overnighting as there had been incidents on the security camera of motorhomers emptying cassettes in the hedgerow and discharging waste water on the carpark. So there you go peeps, its not just the travelling community causing the problem but inconsiderate motorhomers shifting the blame.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Typical knee jerk reaction, why not put a service point in? Charge for it with a voucher redeemable against products in store. Win win for everybody.

Ian

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Without upsetting anyone , there are Gypsies and there are travellers, not the same thing at all, genuine Gypsies do not leave rubbish etc, they are very clean, their vans are immaculate, how do I know this,

A few years ago there was an old fashioned wooden caravan , a few yards down our lane on a grass verge, just the one, they were very polite, had a few chickens and a dog, they bathed in the river, cooked over an open fire, after a few days they were gone, nothing remained to say they had been there apart from a bit of scorched grass from the fire.

Another time spent some time in a Gypsy camp. they were very helpful, I was after some information, when I said why I was there the eldest gentleman said " you had better sit down then "they told me where to go and who to ask for.sat at a patio table with the three eldest men, there was Royal Albert country roses china on the table, the girls were dressed beautifully, and made up, the children were polite, no rubbish, no scrap metal, they had just come from the horse fair and had parked up before travelling northwards. the vans were gleaming.

No I have no time for travellers /scrap merchants or whatever you may call them, genuine Gypsies I have all the time for, did you know the Gypsies fought in the 1st and 2nd world wars for this country, and those that gave their life didn`t get a mention, it is being rectified now I believe.They also have a very strict code of conduct for their girls when they reach a certain age, not like some of our teenagers out all hours and getting drunk.

Margaret

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012

Last year in france we saw travellers on an aires and carpark next to an aire all the vans were wired up to the mains electricity illegally and not very safely , nobody bothered them at all.:RollEyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]ASDAs parent company Walmart permit stays in their store parks in the USA and Canada.[/HI] A chum of mine is a retired Garda Siochana,his opinion of travellers,especially the ones here are very colourful.Suffice to say he reckons that if they came back to Eire,the majority of them would be arrested as soon as they came of the boat.

Yes but the law is different there :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not just Asda am afraid. On the way home from Germany the other night I called at the 24 hour Tesco store at the top of the hill coming out of Dover on the A2. I went in to do some shopping and intended having a few hours kip on the carpark. On returning to the van I noticed a sign saying 3 hours maximum with number plate recognition. So off I went back to the store and asked the assistant manager what the position was regarding me doing what I had done for years. Having a few hours sleep before setting off north. He said they had to stop motorhome overnighting as there had been incidents on the security camera of motorhomers emptying cassettes in the hedgerow and discharging waste water on the carpark. So there you go peeps,[HI] its not just the travelling community causing the problem but inconsiderate motorhomers shifting the blame.[/HI]
Always some idiots :Sad::Angry:
Typical knee jerk reaction, [HI]why not put a service point in[/HI]? Charge for it with a voucher redeemable against products in store. Win win for everybody.

Ian
Because they run a supermarket chain not caravan sites?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Many years ago travelers set up in the car park of our 24hr Tesco once removed barriers were quickly installed across both entrances & if there is any kind of threat then one is closed & security posted on the other.

Only a few weeks ago after a 4am finish I done the shop for our weekend away & moved to the far end of the car park for a bacon sarny so as not to disturb the misus only to have security knock on the door :whatthe: the guy thought I was setting up camp :ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
country mansion shared by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Foreign Secretary William Hague.

I had no idea they were a couple. Just goes to show. They put this act on that they politically 'hate' each other, when really they were setting up this little love nest. How sweet....:RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had no idea they were a couple. Just goes to show. They put this act on that they politically 'hate' each other, when really they were setting up this little love nest. How sweet....:RollEyes:
that's a very "interesting" observation, and a mental image i am going to find difficult to remove.....think i will go and gargle with some southern comfort:ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Bath's gypsy and traveller sites will need kitchen, bathroom and lounge for each pitch

New gypsy and traveller sites planned for Bath and north east Somerset will need to include a building for each pitch which will contain a kitchen, toilet, shower and living room.

B&NES Council has revealed more detail about its £1.8 million proposal to provide official sites for the traveller community.

This will include the redevelopment of the currently unofficial site in Lower Bristol Road, which had a planning application for 13 pitches submitted by planning consultants LPC (Trull), on behalf of the local authority, in January.

B&NES has secured £750,000 worth of funding from the Home and Communities Agency, but that money is only guaranteed on the condition that the pitches comply with certain standards.

This states that each pitch must have an amenity building, which will include a minimum of hot and cold water, an electricity supply, space heating, a separate toilet and sink, a bath/shower room, a kitchen/dining area, storage space, a space for connection of cooker, fridge/freezer and washing machine, and ideally a living room.

Each pitch must be large enough to accommodate a large trailer and touring caravan, parking for two cars, drying space for clothes, and a lockable shed.

The site must also have water and waste drainage, lighting and fencing between the pitches.

Read more at Broken Link Removed

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Well i am not so pc and polite to call them gypsy and traveller types, i say piss off you stinking Itinerants, they are all over my neck of the woods at the moment, my mate lives on 7 acres of field and has recently been intimidated by them, they broke in to his field and have camped up, he has now got to get a court order to remove them, the police and council have both said as there is no hard evidence they broke in , and there is nothing they can do,
these Itinerants have and are leaving toilet waste and rubish anywhere and worse still are sending the kids to rob what ever they can find on this site , and also they have told my mate he best leave for his own safety as there are more coming and it is going to be theirs soon, WTF IS THIS COUNTRY COMING T0
pETE

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Because they run a supermarket chain not caravan sites?

supermarkets have diversified in many ways.. and provide all sorts of services other than supplying food and drink.. you can do all sorts there now..

fill up with fuel
have a meal
get a key cut
banking
have your shoes mended.. etc etc.. you know what I mean..

many French supermarkets have service points with space for a few vans to overnight..

I appreciate the legal side and the Caravan Act.. but if Mway service stations can do it .. why not supermarkets..

They are not poor cash strapped councils with higher priorities and locals to please.. but big multinationals making £billions in profit..

perhaps they are not interested because they are already making huge profits.. and after all , whether there is a service point or not.. we all gotta buy food.

I know what your reply will be.. :winky:

but personally I'm not interested, I much prefer a CL .. so won't be writing to xy or z .. :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
supermarkets have diversified in many ways.. and provide all sorts of services other than supplying food and drink.. you can do all sorts there now..

fill up with fuel
have a meal
get a key cut
banking

many French supermarkets have service points with space for a few vans to overnight..

I appreciate the legal side and the Caravan Act.. but if Mway service stations can do it .. why not supermarkets..

They are not poor cash strapped councils with higher priorities and locals to please.. but big multinationals making £billions in profit..

perhaps they are not interested because they are already making huge profits.. and after all , whether there is a service point or not.. we all gotta buy food.

but personally I'm not interested, I much prefer a CL .. so won't be writing to xy or z .. :roflmto:
I wasn't going to tell you to write Jim ::bigsmile:

MSAs come under Highways legislation rather than the 1960 Act - they are basically large lay-bys - so not comparable to supermarkets :Smile:

All the available services you list (fuel apart) are relatively cheap uses of the same building. Fuel stations are profitable because of the thousands of customers in cars.

As we've seen from previous threads, most supermarkets welcome shoppers in motorhomes but setting up a service point would be an expensive facility for relatively few customers so wouldn't attract sufficient to justify it :Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The one in question was at Dover, so could possibly be used by thousands of M/H, I would think that would make it very viable. Once your in the carpark many would spend money in the shop. Also if it was a question of unprofitability why do some supermarkets in Europe have them?

Ian

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The one in question was at Dover, so could possibly be used by thousands of M/H, I would think that would make it very viable. Once your in the carpark many would spend money in the shop. Also if it was a question of unprofitability why do some supermarkets in Europe have them?

Ian

EDIT. Sorry, got mixed up between overnight facility and service point when answering initially. I don't know what the costs of setting up a service point would be.

Perhaps this is an instance where suggesting that anyone interested write to Tesco re the Dover store is appropriate :Smile: I don't suppose anyone will bother though :Smile:

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
and also they have told my mate he best leave for his own safety as there are more coming and it is going to be theirs soon,

A solution.....(it has worked elsewhere). Get your mate to couple up a slurry tanker to a large tractor with lockable doors, and go manure his field.
The 'off' time should be about 30 mins., especially when some of the s**t sprays over the caravans and kids, (oh, and wives). Tell him to do it about five in the morning. It's his land, and he can spread whenever he likes. :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
that's a very "interesting" observation, and a mental image i am going to find difficult to remove.....think i will go and gargle with some southern comfort:ROFLMAO:

I think you must be asking "who is the dominant one, and which of the two makes breakfast". That should bring on an immediate attack of severe biliousness. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Ian

Ian, Tesco in Dover was used by many motorhomers coming and going. It was in the ideal situation to get last minute shopping before leaving for the continent and a great place for those returning to get a meal and a bit of shopping before heading home. Tesco realised the benefits of allowing motorhomers to use there carpark, mainly at night as general shoppers were not needing a huge carpark. But some motorhomers are not as considerate as others and left grey water taps open and even emptied cassettes in the garden borders thinking they were not spotted. It seems all supermarket carparks are covered by CCTV. When on CCTV in the dark and grey water is being discharged onto the carpark, who is to say its not black. So there you have it. The grey dumpers have cocked it up for all. Its not much use telling Tesco that its only a bit of washing up liquid and water.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

fill up with fuel
have a meal
get a key cut
banking

I think its down to cost, the amount they will make from the motorhomers etc in 'real' terms is small, yes they may buy some stuff, then again having them there may put some shoppers off and go elsewhere, is there also an issue with insurance and liability? Remember once you 'allow' your premises to be used, then you have the problems of enforcing it, yes staff, cctv, costs etc plus what do you do if a group of individuals decided to camp there for say 10 days? What then?

All I can say is again a small number of individuals causing problems for everyone else...

I can well imagine the CEO of Waitrose turning up on an unannounced visit to find four or five motorhomers all camped up, awning out, deck chairs, all eating food kept in Aldi Bags, that 'free' parking would close faster that you could blink..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For me the main problem is that I normally catch a late night boat having done a days driving to get to a channel port. The reason for this is cost, as its much cheaper to catch a late night boat. I then have a good 6 hour drive up north with nowhere to stop for more than 2 hours, as motorway service areas are now all on number plate recognition. Tesco at Dover was perfect to do a bit of shopping and park up for around 4 hours before heading north. Most supermarkets would allow overnighting if you parked out of the way and did a bit of shopping. Am not saying to park up and camp, but they were handy when on route to somewhere. It seems that the supermarkets are now going to stop this service because of a few who take the Micky by thinking its expectable to dump grey water wherever they please.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I dont believe it

Bath's gypsy and traveller sites will need kitchen, bathroom and lounge for each pitch

New gypsy and traveller sites planned for Bath and north east Somerset will need to include a building for each pitch which will contain a kitchen, toilet, shower and living room.

B&NES Council has revealed more detail about its £1.8 million proposal to provide official sites for the traveller community.

This will include the redevelopment of the currently unofficial site in Lower Bristol Road, which had a planning application for 13 pitches submitted by planning consultants LPC (Trull), on behalf of the local authority, in January.

B&NES has secured £750,000 worth of funding from the Home and Communities Agency, but that money is only guaranteed on the condition that the pitches comply with certain standards.

This states that each pitch must have an amenity building, which will include a minimum of hot and cold water, an electricity supply, space heating, a separate toilet and sink, a bath/shower room, a kitchen/dining area, storage space, a space for connection of cooker, fridge/freezer and washing machine, and ideally a living room.

Each pitch must be large enough to accommodate a large trailer and touring caravan, parking for two cars, drying space for clothes, and a lockable shed.

The site must also have water and waste drainage, lighting and fencing between the pitches.

Read more at Broken Link Removed

What idiot could have thought of this.
If they do build these I hope they think a bit more realistically and have all the plumbing made of plastic, including sink and bath or they'll just weigh it in as scrap

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Perhaps this is an instance where suggesting that anyone interested write to Tesco re the Dover store is appropriate :Smile: I don't suppose anyone will bother though :Smile:

I did write to the NEC about providing motorhome spaces for overnight use of people who were visiting various shows, I did get a reply, but only to point out how I could get to the shows by other means.:Smile: Still it was a reply.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back