all in one heating/hotwater unit advise please. (1 Viewer)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hello, I am having a move around in my mh and I am thinking of a all in one heater. Can I have your views on this please? Do I go gas or diesel? At the moment I have a 10l gas only water heater and a gas only heater with fan. So I use a lot of gas even when I’m on hook up.
Steve

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Most of the combi units have a mains element in them now
Depending on what boiler and heater you have mains elements may be available for those.

However a replacement combi unit ain't cheap.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A Truma combination was about £500 when I was doing the van conversion and unless you fit it yourself you would have labour costs as well.
A fan heater costing £15 or so would take care of the heating when hooked up.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Most of the combi units have a mains element in them now
Depending on what boiler and heater you have mains elements may be available for those.

However a replacement combi unit ain't cheap.

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for that, just the sort of thing i was thinking of and a good price. Then i could lose the old heater and free up some space.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As you know we had the same van as you.
Our new van has a combi 6E boiler/heater, it may suit you, but for us it uses a lot more battery power when off grid which we usually are.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have just fitted that Truma Combi 6002EH into the transit and it is massive :Eeek: works very well but,always a but :winky:if I was paying full price I would still opt for two single units that would probably take up less room :Eeek:::bigsmile:and cost less-Good job I picked up mine (new in box) from a car boot for £380 -then had to buy a fitting kit for £45 so in total £425 :winky:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello, I am having a move around in my mh and I am thinking of a all in one heater. Can I have your views on this please? Do I go gas or diesel? [HI]At the moment I have a 10l gas only water heater and a gas only heater with fan. So I use a lot of gas even when I’m on hook up.[/HI]
Steve

We were concerned when we bought our van that we would use a lot of gas and the blown air system would knock the battery down but we've been surprised that neither is the case. Without looking I don't know is the unit is a C3402 or C6002 (manual covers both) but it is gas only. We were on hook-up last month and used a fan heater but we normally camp at rallies/THSs &c so don't normally have EHU.

I don't know why our experience should be so different but could it pay to look at insulation?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you use a lot of sites wth EHU or have good solars/batteries you will be OK, and I did consider changing the boiler on my Riviera to free up some space. If you do I would suggest a 4E/6E mounted where your water heater is now, don't know why but manufacturers always put the heaters furthest away from where you want the most heat.
Always said they should make the designers live in the van for three months, then tell us they wouldn't change the design.:Doh:

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If you use a lot of sites wth EHU or have good solars/batteries you will be OK, and I did consider changing the boiler on my Riviera to free up some space. If you do I would suggest a 4E/6E mounted where your water heater is now, don't know why but manufacturers always put the heaters furthest away from where you want the most heat.
Always said they should make the designers live in the van for three months, then tell us they wouldn't change the design.:Doh:

Yes this was my thinking, when off site and on gas as you know the rear of the van gets nice and warm but where you site is not so good. I have pulled all the seats, water tank and hot water heater out so now is the time to do what ever.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
My solution to this when we changed our van was:

1 Have refillable gas system fitted.

2 Buy a fan heater for when we are on hook up.

The only additional gas usage is for heating water when on hook up. The benefit is that the gas system can be swapped to another van if you change in the future so your capital outlay is not lost, and you save on the cost of gas.

lunarman

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Diesel heaters have several disadvantages: they're noisy (which you can live with) and they're very heavy on battery usage (which I couldn't live with). Best advice is as given: refillable gas system. Either Gaslow (or similar) or better yet - a tank.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have just ordered a truma 6002EH which comes complete so the will be fitting that as soon as it arrives, when in and working i will remove the existing heater and then see what space i have.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have just ordered a truma 6002EH which comes complete so the will be fitting that as soon as it arrives, when in and working i will remove the existing heater and then see what space i have.

Have you measured to see if it fits? as said previously they are big :Eeek::Smile:they also have to vent through the side
terry

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I now have the two seats with sear belts etc and water heater to sale, is there a good site for self builders that i can put them on?

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
ebay is as good as any or post pics on here :thumb:
Terry
seat and water heater 001.jpg

seat and water heater 003.jpg

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Have you measured to see if it fits? as said previously they are big :Eeek::Smile:they also have to vent through the side
terry

New unit just arrived, yes your right terry its big but not a problem. Finding a large hole saw might be?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I borrowed a 80 mm one off a sparky mate 82 mm would have been better :winky:::bigsmile: I have a adjustable hole maker but did not fancy how it would perform so choose the Stareette one to be on the safe side
terry

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What Price the Water Otter please also the gas heater and fan set up
Geo

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What Price the Water Otter please also the gas heater and fan set up
Geo

Just struck a deal with Steve:thumb:
Whats Geo up to I hear you ask:Cool:
Steve Knows
Terry Might have a clue:Cool:
What is it:Blush: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I borrowed a 80 mm one off a sparky mate 82 mm would have been better :winky:::bigsmile: I have a adjustable hole maker but did not fancy how it would perform so choose the Stareette one to be on the safe side
terry
I have covered old hole with 6mm ali plate and redrilled 75mm hole for new pipe so all ok now, should have it running tomorrow

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have covered old hole with 6mm ali plate and redrilled 75mm hole for new pipe so all ok now, should have it running tomorrow

Damn!!!! reading your other post I was praying you'd have another moment and re fit the old stuff and send me the new kit:Doh::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Damn!!!! reading your other post I was praying you'd have another moment and re fit the old stuff and send me the new kit:Doh::ROFLMAO:
ya, and i still believe in father Christmas and the tooth fairy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back