Globecar Motorhomes ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our next and probably last van will be a PVC.

I was considering a home build and love how Terry has done his.. his workmanship is 1st Class and he kindly offered to help me to build one.. .. going as far as offering to let us stay at his house during conversion.. .. thanks Terry .. a most generous and kind offer..

However.. come retirement, we will have more funds available than we first thought.. an old SSEB (Now Scottish Power) pension I had long forgotten about, taken out in 1979 .. has reared it's head and will provide additional funds for a nice PVC... :Smile:

I have looked at IH.. Murvi, Timberland, Vectra and a few others.. then I stumbled on Globecar.. (they don't have their own forum or I would have posted there..) they certainly tick all boxes.. does anyone have one ?
http://www.globecarmotorhomes.com/

But this is an open question.. who does build the best PVC (apart from Terry) ?

tell me about yours, warts and all..

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think Globecar are actually made in Germany by Possl who may have some tie up with Dethleff though can't be sure

Broken Link Removed.

Not sure why they are marketed in UK as Globecar but hey ho.

We looked round one at Premium Motorhomes in Doncaster and were amazed at the build quality and innovative layouts :thumb:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I was at the Newbury show and was VERY impressed by Shire Conversions in West Yorkshire :thumb:

There was so much space in their layouts and the fittings were absolutely first class. Added to this, they were such nice people who were very keen to make any individual modifications that you may wish.

Well worth checking them out. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I spent a year researching PVCs and our favourite by far was Vantage motorhomes in Leeds. Lovely people, lovely vans but sadly not a lovely price! However, if it's a quality van you are after they would be hard to beat.

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/#hide-popup

Think there are a few owners on this forum.

Last edited:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have looked at most of the van conversions available over the last couple of years with a view to changing my MH. There are some good ones mentioned by others but I also looked at Murvi http://www.murvi.co.uk/ who do some nice conversions then I settled on a Wildax http://www.wildaxmotorhomes.com/

One of the things that put me off some of the mainline converters was the poor storage due to heaters, batteries & unprotected air pipes being in the main cupboards. I think the smaller converters have thought this out, probably because they actually use them themselves.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Jim

I must admit I like the Globescouts very much, I think there was someone at Peterborough that had one, and it had lots of good design ideas.

I have also like the Wildaxs too, I have several friends that have them too, although they had a few teething problems with theres, but only small things.

The only downside is the bed against the back doors, it can be a cold spot, there are some that fill in the back bit or half filling it with storage bunkers that help some of the draughts, plus also sliding doors can be a bit colder too.

However the compromise far outweighs the negatives, the plus is parking is easier and depending on the length can be used as another form of transport.

Good luck in your quest.

Pat

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
When looking for a pvc Globecar was our favourite (the familyscout L) but unfortuntately we couldn't stretch to new prices and secondhand Globecars are very thin on the ground (apart from the Trendscout, but that didn't meet our fixed bed requirement).

So we ended up with a secondhand Adria Twin which we are happy with, though ultimately we'd still like the familyscout just to give a bit more room up front and a bigger shower area.

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Globecar

We have had a Globecar campscout 636 bought it new three and a half years ago the dealer at that time was Allan Kerr in Devon build quality great no problems there were three globe cars parked with fun steers at chester you won't go wrong very pleased with it.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
PVC Pros - Cons.

Just my thinking, not everyone will agree or have our priorities.

Please copy paste and add or comment.

Panel Van Conversion Pros and Cons

Pros

Solid body construction, no leaks or rot.
Can be used every day.
Can go virtually anywhere a car can
Lower ferry and toll prices
Better fuel consumption
Better for wild camping
Easier to find parking places.
Better for long trips.
Better security.. no flimsy hab door.
Will be used more often.
Less obtrusive on drive

Cons
Less living space, but tent or awning can be used for longer stays
Less storage space, but if required our small trailer can be used for long trips.
Smaller toilet and shower.. go on diet
Smaller kitchen.

Some points are subjective.:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you are critical enough you can find things you do not like or think poor on any van you buy ready built, if I was to give advice I would seriously consider Terry building exactly what I wanted in a van I sourced myself .
A layout designed by you for you in a van of your choice by someone who cares about getting it right. The problem is a lot of what goes into a van is not seen when finished and having looked at lots I ended up with IH I am on my second are they good yes, are they worth the money ? well to answer that I would say get Terry to build you one better and a lot cheaper:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim I am 99% sure Globecar are part of the Hymer family of vans ---
the offer still stands :winky::thumb:
A well converted van may not have the name but will always hold a good price--plus it won't have cost you 45k :winky:There are things I would do differently if the van was for myself,the layout for one :thumb: but the size of the transit would just not let me do what I wanted unless I settled for a 5' 9" bed :ROFLMAO: I just could not bring myself to do the 5'9" bed hence the layout I ended up with, or I could have Incorporated the front seats as part of the bed -again not for my liking.Just how many Transits do you see with a traverse bed (all 5'9") loads :Eeek:In my mind OK for the odd nights or for small people but for me never:Smile:
IH AND TIMBERLAND START AT NEAR TO 55K -With your input I bet that we could do a carbon copy for closer to 35k or a good bit less. ::bigsmile: food for thought Jim :Smile: and it would be better screwed together by someone who cares about his own van IE you ::bigsmile:
terry
edit I don't remember who but if you read the Terry's self build transit thread again someone gave a link to a small converter in Leeds that looked very well made

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
see the above edit Jim :winky:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim I am 99% sure Globecar are part of the Hymer family of vans ---
the offer still stands :winky::thumb:
A well converted van may not have the name but will always hold a good price--plus it won't have cost you 45k :winky:There are things I would do differently if the van was for myself,the layout for one :thumb: but the size of the transit would just not let me do what I wanted unless I settled for a 5' 9" bed :ROFLMAO: I just could not bring myself to do the 5'9" bed hence the layout I ended up with, or I could have Incorporated the front seats as part of the bed -again not for my liking.Just how many Transits do you see with a traverse bed (all 5'9") loads :Eeek:In my mind OK for the odd nights or for small people but for me never:Smile:
IH AND TIMBERLAND START AT NEAR TO 55K -With your input I bet that we could do a carbon copy for closer to 35k or a good bit less. ::bigsmile: food for thought Jim :Smile: and it would be better screwed together by someone who cares about his own van IE you ::bigsmile:
terry
edit I don't remember who but if you read the Terry's self build transit thread again someone gave a link to a small converter in Leeds that looked very well made

Thanks Terry .. :thumb:

which van would you choose to do a conversion on .... money no object?

My thinking is this, I know you can save money on a van by buying a bit older, .. but I want a new or very low millage .. so how much for the base vehicle of your choice. ?

Your EDIT..Vantage Motorhomes ?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry .. :thumb:

which van would you choose.. money no object?

My thinking is this, I know you can save money on a van by buying a bit older, .. but I want a new or very low millage .. so how much for your the base vehicle of your choice. ?

Money no object I would still make my own :thumb:
My own next van will be either another Ambulance (mileage etc does not bother me provided all the running gear is good) or a new LWB HR van at around 15/17k from the Fiat,pug Citroen stable simply for there size which in turn would allow me my desired layout :thumb:After that Iveco (got a soft spot for them) Merc sprinter /VW crafter but too expensive new next comes the Master's family then the Transit's--MY WHOLE THEORY BEHIND THESE WOULD BE TO KEEP THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YRS AND SELL THEM ON AT A PROFIT :thumb:--After keeping my ambulance for coming up 8 yrs I may well have to take a small loss come sale time but I hope not a big one :winky:IF I had had my way we would have sold her about 5 yrs ago when I know for sure I would have made a profit simply because I was offered quite a bit more than it cost me ::bigsmile:
My self and Paul firmly believe we could do a conversion in less than 3 weeks but unfortunate he is now working 5 days so he only gets weekends hence 5 weeks on the transit --it's a lot harder working on your own plus I miss all the falling out/banter :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've looked at and researched PVCs; and Globecar / Possl headed our shortlist.

We are particularly keen to have a compact van with either an island bed or twin singles. The 'compact' bit is the difficult/impossible challenge to achieve.

One of the Globecars has the layout, which is either twin singles or one giant double - which would be fine. Problem is it's 6.4m long, and we'd really like to stick with 6m max.

Things I particularly like are:

• German quality from a top brand
  • Overall thoughtfully designed pretty much throughout
  • The bathroom layout makes clever use of space and is a decent size
  • All current models have electric closing on the large side door (no need to slam it)
  • All current models have large fly-screens on the side door
  • There is a local franchised dealer in Bristol, where we live
  • It may be possible to get one on a Citroen base (rather than Fiat) if factory ordered
  • Reasonably priced (not cheap, but also not outrageously expensive)
I want a semi-automatic gearbox, so would almost certainly have to order one. Might hang on until the latest 2014 updated X250 is available.

The jury is still out, but very tempted. :thumb:

Mike

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have a Globecar Campscout.

It chose itself. It was the only vehicle that came close to ticking all our 'must have' boxes. That doesn't mean to say it would suit you, or anybody else.

On the general front, it is a good quality conversion. It is made in the Dethleffs factory. Innovative use of space, especially the shower arrangement. Usual continental cooking arrangements - basic two burner hob only, not even with piezo ignition. An oven is dealer fit option, although I think may now be on the factory options list too. It is also short on both 12 & 230v sockets compared to a UK van, but the 12v system is much better than the average UK van & extra sockets are easy enough.

Insulation & heating are excellent. We also have the winterisation pack, with additional rear door insulation & a heater for the underfloor waste tank (the 100lt fresh tank is inboard).

As to why it suited us: my wife uses an electric wheelchair to move anything more than a couple of steps outside the van. She has little physical strength, so would be reliant on me to make or dismantle beds when she needs a kip during the day. The bed also has to be easy to get into. So it had to be fixed beds.

We need to transport the wheelchair inside - this is our only vehicle - we need the on-board facilities for anything other than a short journey, so anything larger than a panel van was pretty much ruled out. The Globecar range have a high bed, with room to get the wheelchair underneath with it's back folded down. Nothing else had sufficient clearance. We didn't want anything outside the van either on a rack or a trailer.

I am tall, so transverse beds are a bit too short in a PVC. Add to that the 'climb-over' problem inherent in any transverse bed. Because the Globecar beds are high, getting into the transverse beds is a bit like scaling a cliff face when you are both small & disabled. The Campscout has a huge longitudinal double (almost a triple :winky:) with steps up the middle, making it easy to get in & out independently.

All the vans in the range make good use of space. If we didn't have the wheelchair & it's hoist, we would have masses. As it is, we've packed the big electric wheelchair in, plus another folding manual chair, plus my 24" wheel folding bike (which is big for a folder) & still had room for all the general stuff. Mind you coming from a VW camper van, we are used to travelling light.

Anything else you want to know, just ask. We will be at the Sandy meet, hopefully at Malvern & hopefully at Misterton & almost certainly at Lincoln. We can't make long term plans, so can only book things at the last minute. No charge for the guided tour!

I love it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Globecar Campscout.

It chose itself. It was the only vehicle that came close to ticking all our 'must have' boxes. That doesn't mean to say it would suit you, or anybody else.

On the general front, it is a good quality conversion. It is made in the Dethleffs factory. Innovative use of space, especially the shower arrangement. Usual continental cooking arrangements - basic two burner hob only, not even with piezo ignition. An oven is dealer fit option, although I think may now be on the factory options list too. It is also short on both 12 & 230v sockets compared to a UK van, but the 12v system is much better than the average UK van & extra sockets are easy enough.

Insulation & heating are excellent. We also have the winterisation pack, with additional rear door insulation & a heater for the underfloor waste tank (the 100lt fresh tank is inboard).

As to why it suited us: my wife uses an electric wheelchair to move anything more than a couple of steps outside the van. She has little physical strength, so would be reliant on me to make or dismantle beds when she needs a kip during the day. The bed also has to be easy to get into. So it had to be fixed beds.

We need to transport the wheelchair inside - this is our only vehicle - we need the on-board facilities for anything other than a short journey, so anything larger than a panel van was pretty much ruled out. The Globecar range have a high bed, with room to get the wheelchair underneath with it's back folded down. Nothing else had sufficient clearance. We didn't want anything outside the van either on a rack or a trailer.

I am tall, so transverse beds are a bit too short in a PVC. Add to that the 'climb-over' problem inherent in any transverse bed. Because the Globecar beds are high, getting into the transverse beds is a bit like scaling a cliff face when you are both small & disabled. The Campscout has a huge longitudinal double (almost a triple :winky:) with steps up the middle, making it easy to get in & out independently.

All the vans in the range make good use of space. If we didn't have the wheelchair & it's hoist, we would have masses. As it is, we've packed the big electric wheelchair in, plus another folding manual chair, plus my 24" wheel folding bike (which is big for a folder) & still had room for all the general stuff. Mind you coming from a VW camper van, we are used to travelling light.

Anything else you want to know, just ask. We will be at the Sandy meet, hopefully at Malvern & hopefully at Misterton & almost certainly at Lincoln. We can't make long term plans, so can only book things at the last minute. No charge for the guided tour!

I love it.

That sounds like the one we're interested in. Currently touring in southern Spain and the internet connection is a bit rubbish, so not easy to check on the Globecar website at the mo.

Thanks for your helpful post - it backs up many of my own observations, but a much more valuable insight because you've actually got one! :thumb:

Glad you like it.

Mike

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
PVC's

We have a wildax constelllation had a few alteration's done and were pleased with it

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We chose Murvi because we liked the light and airy feel inside. Some MHs look like the inside of polished trees there is some much veneer, or more usually fake wood finish. Some people love the look but we think it is a bit dated, well very dated really.

We also like the understated exterior, no great big transfers say XYZ Sooper MH or whatever. We have learned to recognise our van so it doesn't need any fancy paint job.

We also live very close to Murvi which is a big factor to consider I think if you are buying from a small producer. We have had it for a year and have not had reason to take it back because of faults but we want to add an external gas BBQ point so will get them to that next month.

Murvis have quite big kitchens and if you want more space they do versions on the XL chassis which also provides a very useful storage space behind one of the rear doors, ideal for wet clothes although it does mean you can't enter the van through the rear, which some people do if they make up the bed before going out to the pub. Some PVCs have a bit of kitchen sticking across the side door which we wouldn't like, preferring the sense of space you get with the unobstructed door open.

Lack of storage is I think partly a state of mind. I can cycle for a couple weeks and carry everything I need on my push bike. Lightweight clothing folds up very small. We did search for full sized reclining chairs which fold flat and eventually found some at a MH exhibition. These fit under the bed in our van together with other clutter such as levelling ramps, hose pipes, leads etc.

My only real gripe with the Murvis is it has poor insulation but a member of the Murvi Owners' Club spent two months in Norway this spring and had temperatures down to -20C, so it can be done.

A fixed bed is a lovely idea but it means a big chunk of the vehicle is unused all day. Our Murvi Morocco has twin beds which can be pushed together to make a double. During the day the twin beds are the settee and we leave stretch covers over the mattresses on all the time, just covering them with a blanket. The settee becomes two beds in seconds and with a couple duvets thrown on them the beds are made - and either of us can visit the loo without disturbing the other. The duvets and pillows live in the wide shelf above the cab.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
would I be correct in saying Globecar 2014 models are all fixed bed ?
I think the ___scout range always were, at least as far as the main bed is concerned. Additional berths have to be made up.

The Vario range & the Concorde have drop-down beds, so sort of fixed, in that they don't have to be reconstructed every night.

Interestingly, that site is a dealer site, rather than a manufacturer's site, although you wouldn't think so from the URL. SMC Motorhomes of Newark. They are a main dealer for Globecar, but not the actual importer, unless things have changed. They get good reports though - they would be on my short list - partly because they are reasonably local to me.

You can download the 2014 brochure from Southdown
http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/globecar/globecar-downloads.php

The only change that I can see from the photos between the 2013 & 2014 Campscout is the light over the hob, which has gone from a circular fitting to what looks like an LED strip.

I have the 'Cottage' interior with a deep red exterior.

They are sold under the Possi name in Italy. YouTube has a few videos.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Murvi looks well made, and agree about the 'look'

I also agree about a fixed bed.. IMO it uses up too much space in a PVC .. but we are all different..and have different wants/needs.. else they wouldn't make them.

Only ever been in one Murvi, and was quite impressed.. however, I don't believe they do the layout we want.. Rear U shaped lounge /twin or double bed.. centre kitchen and toilet/shower room ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think the ___scout range always were, at least as far as the main bed is concerned. Additional berths have to be made up.

The Vario range & the Concorde have drop-down beds, so sort of fixed, in that they don't have to be reconstructed every night.

Interestingly, that site is a dealer site, rather than a manufacturer's site, although you wouldn't think so from the URL. SMC Motorhomes of Newark. They are a main dealer for Globecar, but not the actual importer, unless things have changed. They get good reports though - they would be on my short list - partly because they are reasonably local to me.

You can download the 2014 brochure from Southdown
http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/globecar/globecar-downloads.php

The only change that I can see from the photos between the 2013 & 2014 Campscout is the light over the hob, which has gone from a circular fitting to what looks like an LED strip.

I have the 'Cottage' interior with a deep red exterior.

They are sold under the Possi name in Italy. YouTube has a few videos.

excellent info.. I'll download the pdf .. :thumb:

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
would I be correct in saying Globecar 2014 models are all fixed bed ?

http://www.globecarmotorhomes.com/the-range.html

The trendscout doesn't have a fixed bed, it has a rear u shaped lounge that makes up into beds. There's quite a few secondhand ones of these. The dealer told us that people usually buy this first and then move up to one of the others later, which would explain why it's just about the only secondhand model that is regularly available.

The one thing that I do remeber about this model when we looked at it is that the washroom is tiny and even if I lost a bit of weight I would still probably struggle.:Blush:

ETA - think the Trendscout is discontinued for 2014 by the look of it.
Think this is the official Globecar website
http://www.globecar.de/

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The trendscout doesn't have a fixed bed, it has a rear u shaped lounge that makes up into beds. There's quite a few secondhand ones of these. The dealer told us that people usually buy this first and then move up to one of the others later, which would explain why it's just about the only secondhand model that is regularly available.

The one thing that I do remeber about this model when we looked at it is that the washroom is tiny and even if I lost a bit of weight I would still probably struggle.:Blush:

thanks.. I found one here .. Broken Link Removed

presumably discontinued ?

toilet does look small.

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
globecar motorhomes

Some of the vans have the large fridge freezer now.
im sure I read that the fridge in globecar is a condenser and not 3 way which may or may not cause a problem off electric
sue

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some of the vans have the large fridge freezer now.
im sure I read that the fridge in globecar is a condenser and not 3 way which may or may not cause a problem off electric
sue

Hi Sue.. I think you meant compressor fridge ?

not according to the spec sheets , they have Absorber Fridges .. 3 way

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Jim, we liked the vantage neo. This has the lay out you would like. Or the sol. we spent a lot of time with Scot the owner of vantage. He's a really nice guy who has loads of motorhome experience, his vans are beautifully made and well thought out. As they are made to order things can be changed, ie he was happy to make one of the beds 2" longer to 6'5". However, we wanted an automatic and there was an 8 month lead time. Also Martin was keen on a merc base, which they don't do any more (they had done a few on the sprinter base but because the top curves in it didn't work as well as the straight sided fiat base).

We were just about to put down our deposit when we spotted our van at our local dealers. The rest as they say is history.

If you could combine Vantages good ideals with Terry's skills I reckon you could end up with a cracking van.

One thing to bear in mind is that vantage really hold their value and do very well when sold on. In fact people seem to love them so much they rarely appear secondhand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back