Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
If your Sat NAv shows the location of speed camera locations as POI's it is ok.:thumb:
If your equipment detects the radar signals sent out by Mr Gendarmes speed detection equipment as he stands by the roadside then it is not legal. :Eeek:
Your equipment will be confiscated and you will be subjected to a heavy fine.:Doh::cry::shout:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
my tom tom does thats how they sold it to me with speed camera detect so must be legal::bigsmile:

I have the TT 720 and it does not detect cameras rather it knows where they are. As has been said camera detectors are NOT legal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Mine seemed to detect a mobile Speed Trap by the side of the road in Horncastle the other day.

The display flashed as I headed towards it. Strange.:Eeek:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Mine seemed to detect a mobile Speed Trap by the side of the road in Horncastle the other day.

The display flashed as I headed towards it. Strange.:Eeek:

Not so strange really most if not all speed partnerships (as they are called) publish where the mobile cameras will be (in the case of Northumberland a week ahead) and these are the speed camera updates your TT recieves. Hope this clears things up. ::bigsmile:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes they are legal as they are not detecting cameras but using POIs.
BUT they are NOT legal in Switzerland.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
speed cameras

Hey Ray,

and you told me you never drive faster than 60mph!!!

Happy Days

From Lesley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Your all wrong as there not speed cameras they are SAFETY CAMERAS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Not "Nice easy Revenue earning" Cameras then John.
Seems more people slam their brakes on when they spot them.:Doh:

Seen some VERY close incidents.

Sorry to sound Cynical, But SAFETY my A++e.

How can a camera stuck just round a bend in an unmarked vehicle be in the interests of safety?

Why don't they have them outside schools to protect our kids?Some....only Some are placed on known accident Blackspots but there are many on long straight stretches of road with very good visibility on a downhill gradient..........

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Must admit i'm a bit surprised to find a thread discussion on this in a Motorhome forum!!:whatthe: What anyone is doing speeding in a motorhome god alone knows!:whatthe:

Hardly the ideal vehicle in which to burn rubber at the lights!!:ROFLMAO:

OK so maybe doing 40 in a 30mph area is easily done, but even small m/h's will often weigh over 2 ton.....think about trying to stop the damn thing from 90mph.

Its a motorhome you are driving.....NOT an Imprezza or Evo!!!

OP
OP
lady jann

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Must admit i'm a bit surprised to find a thread discussion on this in a Motorhome forum!!:whatthe: What anyone is doing speeding in a motorhome god alone knows!:whatthe:

OK so maybe doing 40 in a 30mph area is easily done, but even small m/h's will often weigh over 2 ton.....think about trying to stop the damn thing from 90mph.

im supprised you wanted to waste your time even commenting !!!:RollEyes:
if you took the time to read the thread properly no one sugested any one was speeding !!!:Doh:

this is the type of attitude that spoils the fun !! you seem to know so much about speed whats an evo ??:Smile: a more relaxed attitude might suit you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

We all drive the way that suits our nature, modern motorhomes cruise easily at 70+ they are not built like old trannies, my tranny is slow and so is the Merc, but not everyone is so cashstrapped as to need an antique like me. Besides we can discuss whatever, be are adults after all. Not seen too many minors with a driving licence.
Lighten up and enjoy the facility to discuss fears and promlems.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Sorry, lady Jann, but we agree with bulletguy - if all of us motorhomers agreed to stick to speed limits we could be a power for good, and help to cut down on the throusands of lives lost each year due to speed, which is acknowledged to be the biggest killer on the roads.

Perhaps we should have a MHFunsters campaign to stick to the speed limits:thumb: how about that? We'd never have to worry about speed cameras, fixed or mobile:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob and Di

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, lady Jann, but we agree with bulletguy - if all of us motorhomers agreed to stick to speed limits we could be a power for good, and help to cut down on the thousands of lives lost each year due to speed, which is acknowledged to be the biggest killer on the roads.

Perhaps we should have a MHFunsters campaign to stick to the speed limits:thumb: how about that? We'd never have to worry about speed cameras, fixed or mobile:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob and Di

Sorry not true. It is inappropriate speed which kills, and L J is correct no one was advocating we should speed simply asking a question about sat navs!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Sorry, lady Jann, but we agree with bulletguy - if all of us motorhomers agreed to stick to speed limits we could be a power for good, and help to cut down on the throusands of lives lost each year due to speed, which is acknowledged to be the biggest killer on the roads.

Bob and Di

But surely it would take Funsters longer to get to you:winky::roflmto:

OP
OP
lady jann

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs

Bob and Di

with respect you are as bad as bullet guy i am not aware that i had exceeded the speed limit or en couraged other people to it lighten up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::RollEyes::Doh:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
common sense !

you are equipped with eyes from birth ! you have a brain that is connected to the eyes, when you are learning to drive you have an instructor who informs you of the rudimentariesradiometry's of driving , included speed limits and the ability to understand the stopping distances ! all this is necessary to pass the D of E driving test......i have noticed that once the test has been passed the necessity of observing speed limits and the need of signals for other drivers (especially at roundabouts,NOT ISLANDS ) is ignored !!!! if these simple decisions, such as using the aforementioned eyes to observe the roadsigns that have been erected at not simple expense is ignored, then why bother with speed detectors that inform the IGNORENT of their dilemma . i make no excuses for the forcefulness of this post, YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE SIGNS IN FRONT OF YOU AND OBEY THEM ! that's not too much too ask, is it ? if you are disagreeing with this text, why ?????:Angry:

Last edited:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
It is nice to hear that so many people on here NEVER speed in their motorhomes. Unfortunately I have erred on the odd occasion possibly because of the flow of traffic or a missed speed sign, and something that gave me an extra reminder would be appreciated. :winky: I think the active signs showing your speed are a better way of getting folks to tame their speed, rather than a hidden camera round a bend or behind a bush.
The sat nav warning may prepare you for the car in front that slams on his brakes in a 40 mph zone because he now thinks its 30mph when he sees the camera :thumb:

David

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
im supprised you wanted to waste your time even commenting !!!:RollEyes:
Yes it does rather 'fall on deaf ears' doesn't it? Or is it just being blind to the obvious?

The point you seem to be missing entirely is thinking of driving any mh at speed, whilst totally dangerous, it's also a vehicle hopelessly out of its depth....which possibly matches the lunatic driving it.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We all drive the way that suits our nature, modern motorhomes cruise easily at 70+ they are not built like old trannies, my tranny is slow......
Something very wrong with it then wildman!

My Transits a 1993 2.5di with 100+k on the clock but easily capable of pottering along at 70 on motorways with more power left if i want it.

But then the last vehicle on earth you want for speed is a motorhome!

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Oh dear, a bit of the old intolerance raising its ugly head again....strange how it always seems to include the same individual making ridiculous assumptions and hostile remarks when others try to discuss something. I absolutely endorse Ksebruce, Ladyjann and others - NO-ONE WAS SUGGESTING THAT MOTORHOMES SHOULD SPEED!!!!! GOOD GRIEF - PLEASE READ THE THREAD PROPERLY BEFORE GIVING IN TO YOUR BAD HAIR DAY !!! Such attacks are NOT FUN and are clearly intended to intimidate people having a reasonable conversation about a subject - WHY???

Most newish motorhomes of any size can easily travel at 70mph or more, and it is useful, on long trips, to be able to set your satnav to warn you if your speed creeps up, or of the position of traffic cameras. No-one was suggesting for an instant that it would be advisable to travel at dangerous / excessive speeds!!! :Sad:

Laurie

OP
OP
lady jann

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Yes it does rather 'fall on deaf ears' doesn't it? Or is it just being blind to the obvious?

The point you seem to be missing entirely is thinking of driving any mh at speed, whilst totally dangerous, it's also a vehicle hopelessly out of its depth....which possibly matches the lunatic driving it.

when you have reread the original thread and accepted my qestion had nothing to do with speeding or my standard of driving i will treat your comments with the respect they deserve !!!!! the last time i was lectured in this manner was almost 50 years ago ,then i think the school boss was probably right , i hold a clean accident free driving licence :Smile:

lets get back to the fun :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

for ever young !!!:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
My RV can easily do 70mph and has more there.

Don't do it though as it drinks fuel and I ain't in that much of a hurry.

Relax BG:winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
you are equipped with eyes from birth ! you have a brain that is connected to the eyes.....

I these simple decisions, such as using the aforementioned eyes to observe the roadsigns that have been erected at not simple expense is ignored, then why bother with speed detectors that inform the IGNORENT of their dilemma . i make no excuses for the forcefulness of this post, YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE SIGNS IN FRONT OF YOU AND OBEY THEM ! that's not too much too ask, is it ? if you are disagreeing with this text, why ?????:Angry:
Well said.

I find it quite amazing that some of these motorhomes appear not to be fitted with a speedometer and also being driven by people who don't know how to use either accelerator or brake!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
when you have reread the original thread and accepted my qestion had nothing to do with speeding...
Yes i know....you want to know if satnavs that can detect speed cams are legal. Perfectly legal but mostly useless as they only give the positions of fixed cams, not mobiles, and fixed cams are often moved or in some case removed altogether so your satnav will go off bleeping at where cams used to be. As you say, your question about speed cams has nothing to do with speeding.:RollEyes:

My comment is a perfectly valid point in why anyone should be thinking of speed in a motorhome is incomprehensible. If speed is what you desire then you don't use a motorhome to do it with....they are not performance vehicles. Think about the weight being carried plus the high centre of gravity and that should tell you immediately its totally unsuitable.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

Who said anything about doing 90mph in a motorhome in the original question? :Confused: Do I detect a guilty conscience or bad experience here?

I think that we are all sensible enough to realise the capabilities of our own motorhomes.

I think what Ray made a very valid point in wanting to know if a satnav with speed camera warning on it was legal in EUROPE look at the thread heading it says CONTINENTAL TOURING!

Why someone then wants to rant and rave about speeding motorhomes, especially in this age of very expensive fuel, is beyond me:Confused:

I understood that any camera detection device was illegal in Europe, I would not want my satnav confiscated because it had camera locations on it. Having said that my satnav did not warn me of any cameras on a recent visit to France in my car but did on occasion warn me of the national speed limit:Blush:

One further point as I need an LGV licence to drive my RV am I then restricted to the same speed as lorries? That is 40mph on single carriageway roads (that pi$$e$ so many people off when you stick to 40mph in a lorry) 50mph on dual carriageways and 60mph on Motorways?

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back