Classic or Older motorhome Breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi,

For those that own classic or older motorhomes have you any suggestions regarding breakdown cover while travelling in Europe or UK. I have been searching but tend to find that most companies only want to cover on a trip by trip basis for older MH's and I wanted an annual cover so I can just get up and go when I felt like it.

Maybe I'm just being thick but any advice would be appreciated.:Doh:

Thanks, in advance,

M&M

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi,

For those that own classic or older motorhomes have you any suggestions regarding breakdown cover while travelling in Europe or UK. I have been searching but tend to find that most companies only want to cover on a trip by trip basis for older MH's and I wanted an annual cover so I can just get up and go when I felt like it.

Thanks, in advance,

M&M

Hi M & M,

You could try the Classic Camper Club Welcome to the Classic Camper Club they should be able to help.:thumb:

Don

Upvote 0

Left-Hooker

Free Member
Aug 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 Years
I had the same problem with my old B694. I found that most companies have either an age or length restriction.

Brittania Rescue did it for me, I even have european cover with them.

Although they did explain that it may take some time for a recovery vehicle to arrive in europe, as a lorry low loader would be required.

Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

I would have thought that the RAC would cover you through the C&CC Club scheme.

Jim :Smile:

Upvote 0

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Yep, I second the Britannia Rescue recommendation. When my Hymer got sick in France they flew me back and subsequently recovered the van back to the UK. Though with hindsight I would probably have been better off getting it fixed in France ...

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yep, I second the Britannia Rescue recommendation. When my Hymer got sick in France they flew me back and subsequently recovered the van back to the UK. Though with hindsight I would probably have been better off getting it fixed in France ...

Interesting.I used to belong to Britannia Rescue but they did not want to know on the older van.:Sad:

Upvote 0

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Hi,

Thanks, in advance,

M&M

Just got back from europe red your thread IC insurance sponsored on this site 10% DISCOUNT FOR BEING A FUN MEMEBER AND they will fix you up for whole year for european breakdown or 90 dyay single tripsworth checking out
regards dave

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
For those that own classic or older motorhomes have you any suggestions regarding breakdown cover while travelling in Europe or UK.
I got my Breakdown insurance through here;

Cheap Travel & Transport: Get cheap flights, holidays, train tickets and more

and insured through;

Car Insurance UK - Cheap Van Home & Travel Quotes Online

Europ Assistance is the policy. They accept campervans/mh's up 20 years old providing roadside cover, home breakdown, and European travel. There is a 21 day limit on the european breakdown but you can have as many of those 21 days as you like throughout the year (not just 21 days in the whole year).

Cost is £59.

I can thoroughly recommend them too as i broke down in southern Bavaria a couple of months ago. I had to stay overnight in an Hotel whilst the repair was carried out at a Ford Garage. They paid my Hotel costs plus taxi fares from the Garage to Hotel and then back again. Total cost of that was £55 so i reckon i've done alright out of them!

Upvote 0

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Interesting.I used to belong to Britannia Rescue but they did not want to know on the older van.:Sad:

I believe Brit Rescue changed hands so their policy may have changed - but I wouldn't have thought so because their website still says quite clearly 'no extra charge for older cars'. My van is 1984 and when I joined Brit Rescue 4 years ago they were the only ones I could find who: provided European cover for older vehicles AND covered vehicles over 5m long AND didn't charge exhorbitantly

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996

Sorry American Dream I think I misunderstood your post, on second thoughts do you mean they did not want to know when you needed assistance? One problem, I think, is that most breakdown policies write into the small print that if they consider the cost of repatriating the vehicle is greater than the value of the vehicle itself, they won't do it. So that is something else to look out for.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

Mine is 1979 Reg in the States and some 24 feet long.They said because of the Length They would not provide cover?:Doh:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Those looking for the above cover, it is now LV (Liverpool Victoria) I just paid £134 for one years UK and European cover for my 23 year old motor-home. Thanks for link cos I had soooo much trouble finding cover.

Upvote 0

Coast AL

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
NORTH DEVON
Funster No
MH
Fiat Hymer 544 (1995)
Exp
DEVON
Just confirming the information in the previous posts, just got full Euro cover from LV for my 25yo motorhome for £134. A bargain!! :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back