Fiamma bike rack (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm just sorting out things for our first weekend away in our recently acquired Autocruise Starfire. It has a bike rack fitted under the rear window so is biased towards the nearside. Fitting our bikes on this evening I notice that there is no way to avoid 10 inches of bike wheel sticking out from the near side of the MH. The only way I can see to get the wheels inside the footprint of the MH is to use extended wheel trays so I can position the bikes further toward the centre of the MH. Is this normal fitting for a Starfire. It just seems a daft place to put the bike carrier. Offsetting the bike off centre of the rack will possibly put more weight on one set of mounting points (the inboard ones) but the bike's weight is just forward of the crank (i.e. not centrally between the wheels) so as long as I position the rear wheels to the nearside I should be ok I think. Has anyone else had this problem and can I get spare wheel troughs for a Fiamma rack? Mine are four short ones not two longer ones.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Like this?

DSC_0111-L.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Oh Please! DONT ask about the wine bottles!
view%204-M.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do I get a prize for guessing what you were doing with the wine bottles 'cause I'm sure I know ...

.... you were ...

playing with ....

your new ...

rear camera weren't you!!!!:RollEyes:

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My Starfire has a corner washroom so the rear window is offset to the nearside. Just found a photo.

Attachments

• hull-011p.jpg
    hull-011p.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Only way to go is slide the wheel supports over and have the rear wheels to the nearside.
Or contact Phil at Rhino installs he is the Fiamma Guru :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The wheel rails are short and they won't slide far enough. Thus the question about one piece replacement rails. It looks like Fiamma do them as long as they have a grove in the bottom so they can slide. It makes me wonder if it has been fitted in the correct place. I assume there are strengthening battens inside the rear wall. Autocruise don't exist anymore (not the pre 2007 one) so it will be hard to find out where the rack fixing points are.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fitted mine where "I" wanted it not where there may have been battens (unlikely there are any anyway) I expect yours is fitted off centre due to the problem of concealing the through the wall fixings with your corner toilet.
DSC_0119-M.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not just move the existing rails over a bit? We have a PVC with a bike rack on one door only, so a similar 'problem' to you, so I just took the rails off, drilled holes further along and re-fitted them. If this still means that you have a wheel overlapping the side of the MH then you could consider having a removable front wheel for them and taking them off so that the bike is shorter and by turning the handlebars 90 degrees the forks will then sit in the rails so you cans till secure them.:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
That was the first thing I considered and the last thing I want to do. I'd rather not have holes or blanking plates left showing. But if that is the best way to put less stress on the rear panel, then I will. I have some roof mount bike racks from when we had a caravan and I will take the wheel rails off two of those to get a longer rail. I'll see how the balance is then. If it works I'll get some Fiamma ones. If it doesn'y I may well move the rack. But I've only had the van a few days and don't want to start drilling holes in it just yet!

My bike already has a removable front wheel. I could get a releasable shaft for the wife's bike. I hadn't considered that, so thanks.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We have a tandem, for which we use the longer Fiamma 'tandem' rail [logically enough]. There was still a few inches overlap when both wheels were on, and so I bought a fork block [like this] and used it to secure the forks to the rail. Same should work for you - the Fiamma rails should just slide along, without the need for drilling. If you then have the rear of the bike, where the weight is, on the nearside, I can't see there would be a problem.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Replacement rails fitted (from some old roof mounted bike racks). Seems to have sorted the problem, only two or three inches showing now. Both bikes weight total of 30kgs so the slight imbalance won't be a problem. The carrier is good for 55kgs. Thanks for all your replies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back