Double glazing misting inside (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have noticed this recently and it comes and goes, our nearside passenger window is a sliding double glazed unit, the bit near the mirror and more or less the same size mists up, more so when it is sunny

I have had issues with windows in my house and had to change the glass there, this is much more complicated and probably an awful lot more expensive

The only real problem is reduced visibility when driving

Any ideas how to fix it? or do I just have to put up with it, or change glass?

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I assume the seal between the 2 sides has broken down somewhere. In double glazed glass units the space bar is filled with silica gel to remove any moisture but this is not the case with the plastic ones. I can only assume that, when they are assembled it is done in a warm, dry atmosphere.
To rectify it you could try finding the "leak" and drying it out with a hair dryer or similiar and then re sealing but I'm not sure whether this would be a permanent fix or not.
Someone out there will know more than me I'm sure. (in fact most people will probably know more than me::bigsmile:)
A quick google http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/64661-double-glazed-caravan-steamed-up-windows/
and there are lots more. You are not alone.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
On most plastic windows there is usually a little plug in one corner try taking it out for a couple of days and see if that does the trick, better on a nice sunny day.

You could apply some heat with the plug out with a hairdryer but don't get the plastic too hot.

HTH:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
TRY your local DG unit makers-If they are glass then they will need replacing -- you can split them down clean and reseal letting all the silica gel out of the hollow ali bit then refill it -time consuming -most places would want to sell new units which would probably work out cheaper - I would think they would be toughened glass and if shaped they will cost- Price up the replacements :winky: you can always split them if too expensive --just a case of cutting through the seal with a Sharpe Stanly knife (several cuts rather than try one)
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
TRY your local DG unit makers-If they are glass then they will need replacing -- you can split them down clean and reseal letting all the silica gel out of the hollow ali bit then refill it -time consuming -most places would want to sell new units which would probably work out cheaper - I would think they would be toughened glass and if shaped they will cost- Price up the replacements :winky: you can always split them if too expensive --just a case of cutting through the seal with a Sharpe Stanly knife (several cuts rather than try one)
terry

Very grateful for the reply, scared to death of the suggested actions!!

I really was not put on this earth to do / mend things, so taking a knife to the windows is not going to happen

Sods law would be it is the fixed window not the sliding one that has the problem!!

I will price it, panic, probably put up with it, or maybe use it to justify the island bed MH we would like :thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Coincidentally, Udo has exactly the same problem on an identical pane of glass.

Getting it repaired seems logical as I imagine finding a replacement will be hellishly expensive for something that's not in production.

There are DIY repair kits available, but for toughened glass they suggest removing the unit from the frame. Terry confirmed this above.

One chance of going well, but a loads of chances for a 24 carat, fur-lined balls-up. I'll pass on that, I think.

Looking for a local-ish repairer seems the more prudent way forward.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
sorry, having replied with the longest bit of typing I have done for a long time, I have just realised that it is a glass window we are talking about. Please disregard my reply except for the bit where I said "most people will know more than me"::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hey Crankey you were spot on with your typing / explanation :thumb:
David if you get stuck I am willing to stick my neck out to split the unit for you, so long as you don't make me pay for a new one if it breaks :winky: not far from Bolsover to here ::bigsmile: BTW units are filled with Desiccant? not sure on spelling, not silica gel = blue Cristal
Desiccant = light brown balls that turn dark brown with moisture --I may have a jam jar full in the garage :Smile:
terry

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

This is quite a common problem as I understand, and indeed one of our windows mists up from time to time. The warm weather produces a vapour inside the DG unit and then this condenses on any cold spots like behind your mirror or in our case it is now the top of the window since fitting a kerb mirror.

To rectify you would have to take the frame out of the vehicle and then take the unit out of the frame to fix or replace. I know with Niesmann and Bischoff the factory will fix this but they will want a lot of Euro,s in return.

I might try it this winter :Smile:

Bring yours to the "fix it" meet and we can have a practice on it:ROFLMAO:

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

Bring yours to the "fix it" meet and we can have a practice on it:ROFLMAO:

Martin

Already booked in, not sure I was prepared for removing windows though, especially one of mine, finding the vent on my black tank was more what I had in mind!!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
Dessicant is silica gel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel#Desiccant Just thought I'd throw that in to show that I'm not totally stupid (contrary to what swmbo might sometimes say)::bigsmile:
I did used to work in the d/g industry many moons past.
And also, splitting the unit is not that difficult, the hard bit is cleaning the glass properly to get a good seal when you put it back together. Meths, wire wool and industrial type tissue is best.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back