Thetford fridge broken spring fix (1 Viewer)

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
My spring broke on the Thetford fridge so I devised this fix
Remove the 2 screws and place a large spring (from a cigar lighter is what I used) right under the latch. This should not break and it gives sufficient force to work the latch.:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 520
Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Works as it should

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 202

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not wishing to be a pedant but isn't that the wrong way round? I've just spent £13 on a replacement catch - you can't of course get a spring separately - after I'd tried all sorts:cry:. Your solution would actually hold the latch open - I think?:Confused:

Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Not wishing to be a pedant but isn't that the wrong way round? I've just spent £13 on a replacement catch - you can't of course get a spring separately - after I'd tried all sorts:cry:. Your solution would actually hold the latch open - I think?:Confused:

Terry

Terry believe me it works as I did not fancy paying £13 and tried a couple of solutions. The spring makes the latch level which is correct for it being locked. I am holding it open so you can see the spring If you've still got your old one try it :thumb:

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You can't beat the real thing !!

Terry believe me it works as I did not fancy paying £13 and tried a couple of solutions. The spring makes the latch level which is correct for it being locked. I am holding it open so you can see the spring If you've still got your old one try it :thumb:

How much did you pay for the motorhome ??? :whatthe:

And now you do a bodge job !!!:Doh:

My mind boggles if your Thetford cassette goes tits up !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
How much did you pay for the motorhome ??? :whatthe:

And now you do a bodge job !!!:Doh:

My mind boggles if your Thetford cassette goes tits up !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well if I had seen your reply and the two replies were not there Jim would be banning me:Angry:
The fix is a fix of a very poor method that Thetford use as stated the spring should last and it works as it should

Now tell me why I should have paid £13 when I didn't need to? Also how much I paid for my Motorhome has what relevance?:Eeek:

I am censoring myself with the rest of the reply
:Doh:

Donny

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Funster No
It’s NOT a bodge. The original design is faulty. To replace it with the same faulty design IS a bodge, as it is a temporary repair. The spring supplied by thetford is obviously of inferior quality. The design change by SandJ is clearly a design improvement.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Would be interesting to know if the “fix” is still working after nearly 5 years. :LOL::LOL: @SandJ ??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cigar Lighters are available from Me @ £39.99 if you need a spring
Way to go Steve :clap2:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bodge Jobs? I have carried out many such jobs over the years and in every case I believe I have improved either the materials used or the original design, or both. The best were the straps securing the waste tank to the chassis. The originals were powder coated mild steel and rusting badly, the new straps are stainless steel, lighter, stronger , and they will last for more years than I need.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Would be interesting to know if the “fix” is still working after nearly 5 years. :LOL::LOL: @SandJ ??
It must be as I’ve not had the owner contacting me asking for a refund
I’d be highly surprised if it’s not still working though have you sold many cigar lighters because of it @Geo ? Lol

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It must be as I’ve not had the owner contacting me asking for a refund
I’d be highly surprised if it’s not still working though have you sold many cigar lighters because of it @Geo ? Lol
SOLD OUT
Just ordered another 10,000 from Shenzhen in the Canton Province, Price has shot up to 0.00004p per thousand since they read your post Steve
5 week backlog may force price increase to £45.00

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
SOLD OUT
Just ordered another 10,000 from Shenzhen in the Canton Province, Price has shot up to 0.00004p per thousand since they read your post Steve
5 week backlog may force price increase to £45.00
Will someone please explain why I don’t get royalty payments on this? Anyone know if Thetford have copied my spring idea?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I had a similar problem when we brought our Hymer, the fridge that is in situ had a broken hinge on the freezer box door and it was taped up with duck tape, RUBBISH, so I removed the freezer door and BOTH hinges, installed gas welding rods in the underside valleys of the hinges and filled the remaining gaps with resin, that was 3 years ago and we all know how many times SWMBO opens the freezer door, 3 years and the jobs still a gudun, my repair is actually far better than the original, and all it cost me was about a quid an half an hour, as apposed to £15.00 for a new ONE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back